cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Buyer wants video of item sent to phone.

Is this a common thing or is this some kind of scam i should avoid? i personally have no problems making a short video of the item and then sending it by text. This buyer has been asking a lot of questions too. They've asked if it's still available even though it's just gone up for auction with no bids, they'v asked if the prices include shipping even though it says on the page that i'm covering shipping. Are they just being overly cautious or should i be worried?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You're a new seller selling pokeman items, PS5,  etc.,  be aware of scammers who want you to text them, ask for your paypal info so they can pay you (not allowed), add a gift card and ship to a relative.  Yes, you should be cautious.   

You're a prime target for scammers to clean out your bank account, not to mention steal your merchandise.  Why not just sell it at a BUY IT NOW?  No best offers and check off immediate payment required.  

The items you're selling are going to attract these types... just be careful. 

PS Being a new seller, you are selling a lot of expensive items...don't be surprised if Ebay puts a hold on your sales should you sell any of them.  They will also want receipts for those items should this occur.  

Good luck.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

You're a new seller selling pokeman items, PS5,  etc.,  be aware of scammers who want you to text them, ask for your paypal info so they can pay you (not allowed), add a gift card and ship to a relative.  Yes, you should be cautious.   

You're a prime target for scammers to clean out your bank account, not to mention steal your merchandise.  Why not just sell it at a BUY IT NOW?  No best offers and check off immediate payment required.  

The items you're selling are going to attract these types... just be careful. 

PS Being a new seller, you are selling a lot of expensive items...don't be surprised if Ebay puts a hold on your sales should you sell any of them.  They will also want receipts for those items should this occur.  

Good luck.  

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

They've asked if it's still available even though it's just gone up for auction with no bids,

While some people will ask questions with obvious answers to see how responsive the seller is, I think your guy is either scamming or too stupid to bother with.

Also.

Over 85% of transactions on eBay are Fixed Price. EBay encourages newbies and other innocents to use the unpopular Auction format because they brand themselves as an auction site, which hasn't been broadly true for some 20 years.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@wolf_knight wrote:

Is this a common thing or is this some kind of scam i should avoid?

i personally have no problems making a short video of the item and then sending it by text. 

It's a fake payment scam. They need your phone number (which they'll get since you'll be texting from that number) so they make up an excuse -- need more photos, send a video, etc. -- to get you to send a text.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

As a new seller you should not list auctions. Just research sold prices and list your items for those prices. I would end all the auctions that don't have bids and relist them fixed price.

99 percent of my customers never message me at all. Customers that ask multiple questions tend to be problems even if they are not scammers. Those are the ones who end up wanting to return the item or wanting a partial refund.

I wouldn't sell a PS5 on ebay even as a full time seller. Scammers come out of the woodwork for those. Sell it locally at 15 percent less than ebay prices. It will sell and you end up with the same money after fees.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hey Lonewolf, Good for you, taking the eBay plunge.  Please listen to the sellers board, people here really know what they are talking about.  As the others said, you really shouldn't start out selling expensive items, they're a scam magnet. It would be helpful if you could list items less than $30 for quick sales and to build up your feedback. Fixed price with immediate payment required. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

First, you have nothing listed that would require a video to add details.  Second, you have a few expensive things listed, like the Sony and Halo unit, that you have no business listing as an inexperienced seller.  The scammers are looking for that type of equipment listed from totally inexperienced sellers like yourself.  Asking for the video is just an initial step in the confidence game of the grift.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

In passing, you can now add a video to your original listing.

You could do that (what moving parts might your thing have that a video would enhance?) and let the scammer customer know that he can see it there.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to send a picture via instagram, 2 mins later my insta got hacked for good and I had to reset everything on my phone — still have the feeling someone's lurking around in there and I'm not using my banking apps until I get a new phone

(which at the rate things are selling here will probably be NEVER AGAIN)

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@wolf_knight 

A good rule of thumb, especially for new users, is to send pictures, answer questions, accept payment info ONLY through ebay through the listing. NEVER click on email links before you have enough experience to recognize whether they're spoof or not. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 10
latest reply