cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible human trafficking

I found a very suspicious listing and non-profit organization that looks like it could be involved in human trafficking of children. I won't put the item number up here publicly since it might just be a honeypot to catch criminals. The item being sold is being sold for charity for a very suspicious charitable organization who's website, well, doesn't look like something a real organization would create. The product being sold isn't worth $30 but its being sold for many thousands. Also, the item clearly has had no effort and time put into its construction despite the seller and the non-profit being supposedly related to artwork. The "artwork" displays the FBI's "Boy Lover" symbol and the artistic piece suggests a deeper meaning when you interpret the different materials involved representing racial groups. Anyway, Ebay doesn't really have any way to report the item for investigation(rather than just removal). If the seller is doing criminal activity, they should be watched rather than alerted.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I want to note for the record that Ebay's system of dealing with reports of possible criminal activity is flawed. If something is a honeypot meant to catch criminals, then I understand that you wouldn't want internet vigilantes reporting the listings till they get auto-deleted. However, the site needs to allow people to mark listings as suspicious so they can be monitored without the sellers knowing it. If I made a website like this and I made it as difficult as Ebay does to let users alert me of possible criminal activity happening on my site, my site would be shut down and I'd probably get life in prison.

Oh, and it should be illegal, if it isn't already, for a website to reject attempts to inform it about possible illegal activity happening on its platform. If you're not allowing it because the listing is an actual honeypot, then at least make it look like you listened. Nothing is more annoying than spending 20 minutes typing out a detailed explanation of how a specific listing and associated non-profit are behaving in a way that no reasonable person wouldn't find deeply concerning only to get a red line that says something on the lines of "we rejected your message go away".

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Every listing on this platform has a button to report the listing. There is no back and forth about it. If you suspect something or feel a listing is violating a policy, simply report it. That's it and the end of it as far as you need to be concerned. This is not a courthouse, you are not owed an explanation or what the results will be of your reporting. Just report it and move along. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Did you contact your local law enforcement or the FBI? Certainly, they would be more appropriate to contact than eBay. eBay is not a law enforcement agency. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@qula-2587 

Report the seller. Here's a link that can help:

https://www.ebay.com/help/action/

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I found 2 listings like this and on the listing they have managed to remove the “report this item” box.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

see post #4

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue discussing this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply