cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible INR coming my way -- FedEx redirect Scam?

I need some advice. I'm wondering if I just got hit with a scam and if I'm gonna lose my money after sending the product via FedEx Shipping on Ebay. 

I sold a video card for around $1,000. Printed a FedEx label using Ebay's shipping and I made sure signature was required since the purchase was over $750 and I wanted to make sure I would be covered by seller protection. 

Now here's what happened that has suddenly made me concerned. I tracked the package which was sent to Florida and I find out it was redirected to New Jersey (?) and delivered there. 

I called FedEx to find out why the package was redirected because I did not authorize this and I did not see any options to prevent this. FedEx said the recipient's party called and they were able to redirect the shipment and paid for the shipping changes with their account. FedEx would not provide me with the delivery address or the account used to pay for the redirecting of the shipment, they said that information was private (?). 

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. Since the package was delivered today I'm concerned that I will be dealing with some sort of chargeback through paypal or ebay in the near future.

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

When a package is redirected by the recipient,  only the recipient can sign for it by producing an ID. So you will have proof of delivery that the recipient did get the item. I would not worry too much about it for now.

Usually what happens is some company official buys something using his PayPal account with his home address and want it sent to his work. I recently had to redirect a rather large package for the boss of a company who did just that. It cost a few extra dollars and he paid for it. 

Message 2 of 82
latest reply

what is the chance of him living in Florida and working on the East coast?

You better review seller protection per Ebay and Paypal.

I think if it is redirected,Paypal will deny you the seller protection while EBAY will deny buyer protection?

As for signature confirmation,some said it must be signed for at the address where seller protection applied,aka the address on the Paypal email notice.

more will come and shed light on this issue,too early in the morning here.

Message 3 of 82
latest reply

also look up his phone number and give him a call.
Message 4 of 82
latest reply

I hope this does not turn out bad for you.  I wonder what the cost is to do a redirect?  USPS intercept which is about the same thing has a cost of 14.95?

This makes me think twice about how @retrose handles shipments on eBay?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 5 of 82
latest reply

That is so not true. FedEx is the worst. I tried redirecting a package to my mother in law’s house when we lived next door to them because I couldn’t believe it was possible. It was not an Ebay package, it was a test. They left the package in front of the fence.
FedEx overnights my medication every month, it clearly says Adult signature required check ID. Last week they went to the wrong house & left a call tag. I saw the missed delivery called them up & told them I have video they did not come here & I demanded they ask for my ID when they come back. The next day they show up, I have my ID in my pocket, they never asked. This is dangerous medication & they didn’t even ask my name or look at my ID. If I didn’t need my medication fast I’d get it through USPS. They ask for ID or if it’s my regular carrier they know me. FedEx needs to get it together.

Sorry in my rant I forgot the op has signature required. I hope they actually get a signature 

Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 7 of 82
latest reply

I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Unless I’m missing something, sounds like you’ve “proof of shipment / proof of delivery” (together with the name/signature of buyer, who re-routed and therefore allegedly signed or will, all of which in any event should be readily apparent to anyone on viewing the tracking information). In the highly unlikely event that buyer should suddenly complain, you’re seemingly protected.

Also, that FedEx didn’t get authorization from you, as sender, to do the re-route which they are supposed to do is now presumably on them, not you; but really, unlikely to come to that as buyer has no cause to complain. (Tracking is your friend!).

Message 8 of 82
latest reply

You are right about FedEx leaving packages that require signatures at the front door. I have had people send me checks, and in one case money in a FedEx envelope and in spite of them asking for a signature, FedEx left it at the door. It is why whenever I am expecting a package from FedEx that is valuable, I actually wait by the door for them. 

Message 9 of 82
latest reply

@lancelotme

@lancelotmewrote:

what is the chance of him living in Florida and working on the East coast?

You better review seller protection per Ebay and Paypal.

I think if it is redirected,Paypal will deny you the seller protection while EBAY will deny buyer protection?

As for signature confirmation,some said it must be signed for at the address where seller protection applied,aka the address on the Paypal email notice.

more will come and shed light on this issue,too early in the morning here.

My best friend has a home in Alabama, and one on the gulf coast of florida.

My boss has one in Illinois, and one in florida.

I had a buyer who taught half the year in florida, and the other half in Colorado

Message 10 of 82
latest reply

If he files an INR with PP, I believe you have no seller protection. Redirected packages make you ineligible.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 82
latest reply

I had this happen to me also, it was innocent enough, a father bought his kid a video game and it was re-directed to the kid who was away in college. But it was only for $25. 

Message 12 of 82
latest reply

there are also overseas merchants who come to the states for business and need a sample,he would order from his hotel .
But these cases are not that common.
best is to give him a call and ask why,if it bothers you so much.
as for sloppy Fed Exp,ground service is not as good as air,different payscale
Message 13 of 82
latest reply

take a look at what he has bought,how long has he been on eBay ,since you said he has a Fed Exp account,may be it is okay
Message 14 of 82
latest reply

@lancelotme

( this was when I first started selling, and did not know too much )

I had a buyer from South America, want a part overnighted to a hotel in NYC.

He had a friend here on business, who was flying out the next day.

I changed the address and sent it out.

Had another who wanted it sent overnight using his UPS account.

I drove 20 miles, to the UPS station.

I could have been burned on both of these sales.

But, I sell to flyboys,  and we live by a different code of honor.

( But never trust us with your drunk girlfriend, just a heads up )

Message 15 of 82
latest reply