cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please don't ship to home with USPS or FEDEX requiring signature

The obvious reason why is because nobody's home bcz people work during the day when FEDEX delivers, and there's no where to pick it up.  Relatedly, buyers don't know before they buy what shipping method is used if sellers don't say. Standard shipping isn't telling me a method.   Sellers need to get a clue. Ifyou aren't shipping to a business,especially if the address says an apt#, you are shipping to a home.  EBAY needs to require that sellers specify the shipping method., so us buyers can say where to send it.  I can deal withUSPS for signatures, bcz there are post offices. No such thing for FEDEX or UPS, or at best, put on phone hassling with shipping address change via call ceners in El Salvador, or Mexico.  From now on, any seller who puts me through this, is going to get appropriate DSR. One star for shipping. 

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

You do know that if an item is over $750 a seller must get online signature confirmation to protect himself from scammers.

Message 2 of 54
latest reply

For items over $750 receipt signature is required for seller protection. Less than that it is not necessary to require signature.

If you have specific carrier requirements which are not stated in the listing, you should contact your seller first to make sure they can accommodate you.

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

Yo G, they leave you a notice and hold the package so you can pick it up..........

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

Not all buyers know, need to know, or care about seller protection requirements.

If a seller wants/needs/requires a signature for anything it needs to be stated boldly in the listing. A buyer shouldn't have to ask if a seller requires a signature.

If I had to schlep 20 miles one way to pick up a Fedex or UPS package that needed an undisclosed signature, I'd be pretty pizzed.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 54
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Not all buyers know, need to know, or care about seller protection requirements.

If a seller wants/needs/requires a signature for anything it needs to be stated boldly in the listing. A buyer shouldn't have to ask if a seller requires a signature.

If I had to schlep 20 miles one way to pick up a Fedex or UPS package that needed an undisclosed signature, I'd be pretty pizzed.

Unless it is over $750.  And if buyers read the guidelines a bit, they would know that.

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

Very true. With so many sellers out there you would think people have the sense to warn buyers signature would be required. Those who don't do that are definitely asking for trouble.

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Unless it is over $750.  And if buyers read the guidelines a bit, they would know that.

Not all buyers are sellers here. Why should a buyer on any venue need to worry about seller protections? As a buyer, do you worry about seller protections when shopping on Amazon, Etsy, Bonanza, Walmart, Macy's ....?

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 54
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Not all buyers are sellers here. Why should a buyer on any venue need to worry about seller protections? As a buyer, do you worry about seller protections when shopping on Amazon, Etsy, Bonanza, Walmart, Macy's ....?

I read everything to know what my rights are and what I have to do to not to forfeit them on every website I shop on.

I also do the same in stores to know whether they will give cash back or credit for returns and how long their return limit it.

And when I order on line and it is an expensive item I check to make sure if I need to be home to accept it.

One of the reasons I have had so much luck as a buyer on ebay is that I take personal responsibility in what I do rather than just blame the seller afterwards.

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

No, but I also know those sites won't allow a buyer to cry INR and win even with tracking showing delivery but without signature confirmation if the order is over $750.00.  Which by the way is required for payment with PAYPAL and not just for purchases on eBay.  If I had my own merchant account to process credit cards, I wouldn't need this protection.  But those are the rules and for what it's worth, I do disclose it in the listing.  That doesn't mean the buyer has bothered to read it.

Then again, those other sites don't get rocks returned and still give full refunds.

Joe

Message 10 of 54
latest reply

I have signature required written into my listings above....say usually $300. I've had things stolen off my front porch, and I don't want other buyers to have to go through that problem. Having purchases that are worth hundreds of dollars sitting on a front porch unattended is just calling for trouble. The buyer KNOWS signature is required on my listings, that is, if they read the listing. Most buyers spending a fair amount of money have good reading comprehension. 

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

I read everything to know what my rights are and what I have to do to not to forfeit them on every website I shop on.

I also do the same in stores to know whether they will give cash back or credit for returns and how long their return limit it.

And when I order on line and it is an expensive item I check to make sure if I need to be home to accept it.

One of the reasons I have had so much luck as a buyer on ebay is that I take personal responsibility in what I do rather than just blame the seller afterwards.

I'm not talking about a BUYER'S responsibility. I'm talking about a SELLER'S responsibility.

As a buyer here, you do not need a signature for anything, because you have the MBG, and the MBG does not require a signature for a BUYER to have coverage. In fact, lack of signature can work in the buyer's behalf. The signature is for the SELLER, not the buyer.

Is it a BUYER'S responsibility to know their SELLER'S "seller protection" criteria?

Message 12 of 54
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I have signature required written into my listings above....say usually $300. I've had things stolen off my front porch, and I don't want other buyers to have to go through that problem. Having purchases that are worth hundreds of dollars sitting on a front porch unattended is just calling for trouble. The buyer KNOWS signature is required on my listings, that is, if they read the listing. Most buyers spending a fair amount of money have good reading comprehension. 

I sell fine jewelry so maybe I have had many more instances where I have used online signature confirmation.

I do state it in my description and I used it for items over $250.  For those who live in busy neighborhoods or on main streets or in high crime area, I am not going to send something that may lay on a porch from 8 AM to 6 PM in the evening, especially in the months where it gets dark.

In my State, they have shown around the holidays people who actually follow the mail trucks looking for packages to steal.

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

@tellmemama wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

No, but I also know those sites won't allow a buyer to cry INR and win even with tracking showing delivery but without signature confirmation if the order is over $750.00.  Which by the way is required for payment with PAYPAL and not just for purchases on eBay.  If I had my own merchant account to process credit cards, I wouldn't need this protection.  But those are the rules and for what it's worth, I do disclose it in the listing.  That doesn't mean the buyer has bothered to read it.

Then again, those other sites don't get rocks returned and still give full refunds.

That still has nothing to do with my question.

As a BUYER, do you worry about your SELLER'S "seller protection" criteria?

It was stated upthread

"You do know that if an item is over $750 a seller must get online signature confirmation to protect himself from scammers."

Again...should a buyer have to worry about their seller's protection?

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I sell fine jewelry so maybe I have had many more instances where I have used online signature confirmation.

I do state it in my description and I used it for items over $250.  For those who live in busy neighborhoods or on main streets or in high crime area, I am not going to send something that may lay on a porch from 8 AM to 6 PM in the evening, especially in the months where it gets dark.

In my State, they have shown around the holidays people who actually follow the mail trucks looking for packages to steal.

It also helps with making sure there is no missing final delivery scan. That's another issue, and that does aid in protecting the seller. 

Message 15 of 54
latest reply