cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment strikes: ZERO effect on DEADBEATS, despite Ebay's claims

This buyer burned me for two items, resulting in two non-payment strikes. But he's bought since then and he burned ANOTHER person (see 3rd "positive" feedback comment) in the process. So much for fairness, Ebay

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Why would you expect eBay to be “fair”? They made money when he continued to buy. Perhaps you should advocate for sellers to utilize their blocks? He wouldn’t have been able

to buy if those sellers had blocked buyers with 2 or more unpaid items in 12 months.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

If you don't have your seller block set to block those with 2 or more non payment strikes, they go merrily on their way to bid and not pay another day.

The two non payment strikes trigger the blocks, but there is nothing for them to trigger if you don't have your blocks set.   The two non payment strikes themselves don't block them.

Sorry I was a poet and didn't know it.

I know, enough already!!!Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Where can I fine the buyer ID #. I've looked everywhere!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

PS. The seller who do use the unpaid items block are all glad you filed unpaid item cases against your buyer. Some sellers simply leave false positive feedback or cancel the transaction which lets the buyer off the hook! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

The seller who left the false positive probably didn't file a UPI, if they had they would have been blocked from leaving feedback.

The 2 strike rule works but the 2 strikes have to come from 2 DIFFERENT sellers. So that would mean you gave 1 strike, the other seller gave no strikes and until this buyer gets another strike they will not be blocked by anyone as far as the UPI block goes.

I see further down the page that yet another seller gave a false positive which means they also didn't open a UPI.

eBay can only issue strikes if sellers open UPI's, sellers can only be protected if they have the proper block in place.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@slippinjimmy
don't you have to file a UPI in order to get your money back?
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@slippinjimmywrote: ... The 2 strike rule works but the 2 strikes have to come from 2 DIFFERENT sellers. ....

I don't think that's true, or at least it wasn't at one point in time.

Back when the buyer requirements were introduced, eBay still had that policy of "3 strikes and you're out (but actually it's 4 because we'll forgive the first one if you ask)."  So when the Buyer Requirements were set up and showed options including buyers with up to FIVE strikes, we questioned how that would be possible.  The eBay staff replied that for the "3 strikes" policy, the strikes had to be from different sellers, but 5 was a possibility in the Buyer Requirements because it counted ALL the strikes that the buyer had, even from the same seller.  The "3 strikes" policy disappeared from the Help pages not long after that; apparently the buyer requirements option replaced it.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@flyinhawaiiangirlwrote:
slippinjimmy
don't you have to file a UPI in order to get your money back?

To get a refund of FVF's you do have to file.

I can only think....

- Some people don't know that

- Some people think leaving a false positive is worth more than getting their fees back

Now it is possible to leave that feedback and then later file a UPI, I'm not clear if eBay removes the feedback in that case or if the buyer has to ask for it. In any event leaving a false positive on it's own is a policy violation if it comes to eBay's attention, I don't think the sellers who leave them understand that either.

Forgo fee refunds, set yourself up for policy violations and essentially do nothing to the buyer doesn't seem to me to be the best course of action.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@rander3127wrote:
This buyer burned me for two items, resulting in two non-payment strikes. This buyer burned me for two items, resulting in two non-payment strikes. But he's bought since then 

eBay has never claimed that two non-payment strikes will prevent a buyer from buying a third item. 

That will only happen if the seller of the third item has chosen to set his blocks tigh enough to prevent that purchase. For instance, I do not have  a problem with non-payers so I do not even have my blocks set. 

The fact that a seller left a feedback provides no information about whether his block are set or not.

It sounds like the issue you have raised has more to do with your lack of understand than eBay's implementation. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

The two non payment strikes trigger the blocks, but there is nothing for them to trigger if you don't have your blocks set.   The two non payment strikes themselves don't block them. castlemagic - unquote 

I  never realized that . I always thought e bay took care of it . That's important to know . TY   Tulips 

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

You won't.  Ebay in their infinite quest to appease buyers (even sleazy deadbeats) edited my post because we're not allowed to "shame" them.  Shame would be a good thing for some of these people because I've yet to see someone learn not to do bad things when there are ZERO consequences. 

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Once again, there are NOT zero consequences when a buyer doesn't pay IF you set your preferences.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply