cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay-per-Click Advertising Pre-Sale Purchases by Sellers

Within the body of the June update mailing there's a rather complex plan brewing - Pay per Click advertising.

When a seller buys additional advertising today, it's only a purchase if the item sells.  With pay-per-click advertising, sellers will also pay a fee to attract window shoppers attracted to click-bait.

I'm an old-time seller committed to one of a kind antiquarian and unusual items that don't sell on brand and can't be mass-produced.    My content (photos and write-up) has educational value, and a good amount of the traffic that visits me is here to learn or to oogle.   I'm always finding my items pinned to Instagram and Pinterest, often long after it's been sold (and I've deleted the content).  

Since the origins of eBay, such googling window shopping has been free and available to all.  But now, I need to pay for it?    

For example, I recently listed a 1958 Soviet era art book featuring a Kiev muralist Mikhail Aleksandrovich Vrubel.  Since Ukraine's art treasures are suddenly in focus, the hits on the listing exploded into the 1000s.  But they aren't buyers.   Since I pasted Wikipedia material to describe the artist's career, anyone on the internet curious about Ukraine has begun parking on my listing which has better illustrations than any other web page on the topic.    I don't mind, of course, but what if I had to pay for that traffic????!!!   What am I buying, exactly?

Let's talk about this upcoming feature.  Let's try to keep eBay funky and interesting without bankrupting the people who make it that way.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Thanks for the info, maybe you can help with some info. If someone "pins" out listing to their Instagram or Pinterest account on their own, I assume that would be at no cost to us, Is that your understanding.

Would eBay, somehow, block someone from posting our item on other media platforms if we don't consent to pay? 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@poetryinpower 

I'm not sure what you are saying. Pay Per Click ---known as Promoted Listings Advanced, in contrast to the pay -only- if- it -sells Promoted Listings Standard---has been around for a while now. It's not new to ebay. And, like PLS, PLA is entirely optional. Also, ebay does NOT recommend using PLA for long tail one offs (from your post, that seems to be what you sell---you generally have a single quantity listing, not a multi quantity listing, and your items, while perhaps rare and desirable, are long tail (unlike the latest gadget from Apple, for example.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

No point with paying more fees to Ebay with either Promoted standard or advanced for one of a kind specialty items such as yours, they will be found by that one of a kind buyer.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I'm kinda lost with your opening post.  You do not have to use Promoted Listings, either standard or Advanced.  It's totally optional & like @my-cottage-books-and-antiques  said, not recommended for what you say you sell (I didn't look).  

I don't think you're understanding what it is & for that reason alone, I would definitely NOT use it.  It has nothing to do with what you wrote.  It's simply a way for YOU to pay to promote YOUR items.   Again, mainly recommended for high competition items. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Promoted Listings Advanced isn't a feature I've used.   My post was informed by today's email from eBay entitled "We're updating our eBay Marketing Program Terms" which is where pay-per-click advertising first appeared on my radar.

Did you receive that email?   Does it include relevant changes?

...and yes, I'm a long tail seller.   I guess I described a known issue, but there may be many who are similarly half-informed about the Marketing Program.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I'm not as well informed as I should be, apparently.  

Those are good questions that I'd like to answer as well.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I received the email.   You aren't understanding what PLA is.   The PPC advertising, known as PLA, has been around for awhile.  

It does not affect you unless you are using PLA.  If you don't know what it is, you're not using it.  Nor is it recommended for your type of items.   I have know idea what "known issue" you're referring to.   There is no issue.  Use PLA or don't, it's totally up to you. 

Does that help?  If not, what are your specific questions? 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 8 of 8
latest reply