cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PROMOS have disappeared since GTC for me....

Has anyone else noticed they don't receive promos anymore.  I use to get SO many, and now that GTC started the cupboard is bare. 

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

If I were looking at my inventory and found items that I didn't think would justify a 35 cent fee, I would not put the effort into them to list them even if it was free. If listed and sold, there is still the time factor and expense involved in shipping them, and that probably well exceeds 35 cents. If the margin on an item is that low, the cost of 1 or 2 returns which you are always subject to makes it not worthwhile to list. Just my personal way of listing,  I overthink most of this stuff.

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@loveyourimagination49 wrote:
They don’t pay insertion fees, because the buyer does.

The buyer does not pay insertion fees for items that do not sell.  

I thought that was a given.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 32 of 42
latest reply

Your plan seems to be working well for you and I hope it continues.

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

If I were looking at my inventory and found items that I didn't think would justify a 35 cent fee, I would not put the effort into them to list them even if it was free. If listed and sold, there is still the time factor and expense involved in shipping them, and that probably well exceeds 35 cents. If the margin on an item is that low, the cost of 1 or 2 returns which you are always subject to makes it not worthwhile to list. Just my personal way of listing,  I overthink most of this stuff.

I think that's sensible, actually, and not over-thinking.  Since I make my living at this,  I can't predicate my bread and butter on "maybe" getting free listings, "maybe" getting a promo, "maybe I'll have a promo before transitional season ends, or in time for winter coats", but I also think that having to pay (if/when I run out) means I'm more mindful of what I do list, how long I let it run, etc. GTC is very handy for me because I can let things run seasonally without futzing with them, but I do need to keep an eye on when it's time to let something go, and be alert to changes, particularly since I sell in a very competitive category.   If I didn't have a budget to make every month I'd probably be more flexible with all of this - we'll see when I retire (very soon).

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Well written, and thank you. I am becoming very concerned for sellers who are trying to feed their families or make a living on eBay. When I first started doing this I had a very well paying job and no concerns as to rather or not eBay showed any profit for me at all.  It was almost fun and allowed me to do purchasing for the machine shop I worked for. When I retired about 5 years ago I just continued to do it and found different markets for the things I wanted to buy and sell.  The whole time I have sold on eBay my profits weren't needed for day to day expenses so I have been building inventory without taking anything away from my "real" income.

We all have different circumstances and sometimes I am feeling like I should keep my comments to myself. Going another two or three months with zero sales will not hurt me and only make me make a decision to quit or not. I wish I knew how to make things better or just initiate an honest discussion between concerned sellers. This discussion got off track today and turned into a forum on shipping shirts and that is discouraging.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

. I wish I knew how to make things better or just initiate an honest discussion between concerned sellers. This discussion got off track today and turned into a forum on shipping shirts and that is discouraging.

It also got off track when one seller here decided to belittle the business models of other sellers and call them "foolish" simply because he didn't understand it. 

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

If I were looking at my inventory and found items that I didn't think would justify a 35 cent fee, I would not put the effort into them to list them even if it was free.

Once again, your argument seems to be that the only decision about whether an item justifies the 35 cent fee has to do with the margin. I have plenty of items that cost me nothing to acquire, and my expected return for them is $75 to $100.

In these cases, the problem is that they are rare but demand is low - so I have no sold items to go by, and I have idea whether it will sell in 30 days or three years or never. I know that a big fan of a band like Fifty Foot Hose would love to have a signed performance contract from 1968 and would pay a hefty sum ... but let's face it, the Fifty Foot Hose is not Tom Petty or U2 so it might take a year or two to find the right fan.

So it is certainly worth it to me to list it for free, but it is not worth it to pay $12-$15 to list it dozens of times over seveal years - when eBay has demonstrated they are willing to let me list for free for dozens of times over those same years. 

If listed and sold, there is still the time factor and expense involved in shipping them, and that probably well exceeds 35 cents. If the margin on an item is that low, the cost of 1 or 2 returns which you are always subject to makes it not worthwhile to list

And again, you seem to be assuming low margin and ignoring the other factors that might make the listng fee a prohibitive expense.

I am happy to spend a few minutes packaging a poster that has sold for $75 or $100, evne though the sale arose from a free listing. In fact, I find the two factors - insertion fee and time spent packing - to be completely unrelated. But you see a connection because you are assuming thereis a low margin, instead of just low demand. 

As for time listing, I use Turbo Lister so one I create a listing I never lose it. And when a free listing promo comes along, I can select 500 items form my inventory, click "upload all", and sip a cocktail while catching up on "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee". Those 500 listings may take an hour or two to upload, but they only take 30 seconds of my attention. 

Just my personal way of listing,  I overthink most of this stuff.

You're not overthinking, but you are just making incorrect assumptions about why other sellers try to avoid insertion fees. 

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Not to mention... what kind of merchandise isn’t deemed valuable or worthy enough to pay to list?

I can acknowledge we have many long time, strategic sellers but there are implications to this. Now further that by adding in the junk many others list because it’s no skin off their teeth.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

I disagree. You just have it fine tuned. Many others, though, just throw junk against the wall to see what sticks.

The fact that you might be an exception does not make his point invalid.

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

I disagree. You just have it fine tuned. Many others, though, just throw junk against the wall to see what sticks.

The fact that you might be an exception does not make his point invalid.

I was responding to the statement that "Those sellers that tell you they have never paid a listing fee have no idea of how much that has cost them over a period of years" because it ignored sellers for which this was simply not true.

The OP did not imply it was "some of the sellers" or "many of the sellers" ... he was clearly referring to all the sellers who had said that. So thank you for unintentionally agreeing with me 🙂

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

Well. You use a posting ID, so we can’t actually SEE that what you say is valid...

Agreement or mere collegiality?

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

You seem to be taking my post personally. It was not an attack on any seller or their listing practices. The post was meant to give a different viewpoint to sellers who seem concerned that they are not getting enough free promos to run a business. Whatever you are doing seems to be working well for you and I am glad for you.

Twisting my words to suit your needs or taking them completely out of context doesn't help anyone.  You cited an example of a $75-$100 poster obtained at no cost. Thank you, that's a great example on multiple fronts.  It doesn't fit into "low margin" in any way. It would seem to be an ideal item to list on eBay for as long as it takes to find the right buyer. If a seller kept this item continually listed for a year and paid for the listings, the cost would be $4.20 per year. At that rate it could be listed for 10 years (or longer) and still be profitable. If "free" listings are available and used, it could be listed forever at no cost.

If a seller was to let it go unlisted in any given month because they were waiting on or hoping for a promo, there is a possibility of a lost sale because it is not listed.  The seller wouldn't realize that a 35 cent fee had cost him or her $50-$75 in lost revenue. (subjective number and unknown). Most junk picked out of a trash heap and listed only because the listing is "free" doesn't meet the same criteria.

If you historically have enough free listings to cover your needs, it would be a "foolish" practice not to use them and profit from them. If you don't have free listings, you have to make a decision as to waiting until you do or spending 35 cents.  In most cases, not yours, it seems to me that sellers are waiting on free listings and using them for unsaleable junk that only clogs up the site simply because they are "free". That practice doesn't benefit anyone. Just my feelings about promos, you are certainly welcome to yours.

Message 42 of 42
latest reply