cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overweight 1lb first class, Postal carrier says don't worry...

Had a package that I thought was just under the 1lb cutoff, took it to post office  and asked clerk to weigh it.  She says says its about 0.4 ounces over.  I say guess I need to take it back ....

She says don't worry eBay will just charge you the extra 20 cents or whatever via its new automated process.  Wasn't thinking to clearly, I just agreed because line behind me.  But walked out thinking its not even first class mail anymore because its over 1lb, if its upgraded to priority its no going to be 20 cents more, more like $5 because it won't be flat rate.

That's the least of my concerns though, more concerned this automated process thing is working and there won't be a problem at the 1lb cutoff, or if there will be any other problem for buyer.  Let me know, still can go back and reclaim package for the next few hours I think.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

As I understand it, this system is in fact very new where they will just charge you the difference. But in your case, if you think it's going to be way too expensive and don't want to risk it, you may want to consider reclaiming it and redoing it.

I would recommend getting a scale (I bought one for $25 right off ebay) to weigh packages at home to try to avoid this kind of thing from now on.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

If you printed your shipping, the auto system will weigh the package, read the barcode information and then send a bill to the company you printed the postage from for the difference.  The company will then bill you.  It seems to be working because one of clerks commented to me about how a seller came in and complained about getting charged for their ship costs.

I woud not be worried about the cost difference, just consider it a learning experience - I would be more worried about ebay's glitch filled system charging more than it should be.

(*Bleep*)
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

You should stop having the clerks weigh your packages.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

But if the clerk didn't weigh the package, the automated system still would.  This was a missed opportunity to attempt to  adjust the packaging so the weight didn't go over the 15.999-ounce limit for online First Class packages.

As noted, if the package weight went over 1 pound, then this is going to be closer to $5, not 20 cents.  Never rely on the clerks to be knowledgeable about online postage.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@margincut wrote:

Had a package that I thought was just under the 1lb cutoff

I avoided all this years ago by purchasing my own scale.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Reclaimed package for piece of mind.  Couldn't be certain their system would convert first class to pirority.  Wasn't too concerned about extra charge, but had this nagging doubt it might say no solution found and returned it or asked buyer for postage due.  It probably would have all worked out, but not worth the risk.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@margincut wrote:

Reclaimed package for piece of mind.  Couldn't be certain their system would convert first class to pirority.  Wasn't too concerned about extra charge, but had this nagging doubt it might say no solution found and returned it or asked buyer for postage due.  It probably would have all worked out, but not worth the risk.

Good idea then. As I said before I think a $20-25 digital scale is a worthwhile investment even if you only sell on ebay occasionally. 🙂

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Yeah I'll upgrade to digital, I get those ebay bucks tomorrow, and that's something to spend them on.  I got an old mechanical.  Half the error factor is just figuring out the correct angle to read it at, the other half is its old and not as sensitive as it needs to be.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@margincut wrote:

Had a package that I thought was just under the 1lb cutoff

I avoided all this years ago by purchasing my own scale.

What happens when your scale says 15 but theirs "mysteriously" says otherwise?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@margincut wrote:

Yeah I'll upgrade to digital, I get those ebay bucks tomorrow, and that's something to spend them on.  I got an old mechanical.  Half the error factor is just figuring out the correct angle to read it at, the other half is its old and not as sensitive as it needs to be.

Yikes. Yes, get a digital. Mine is a very chea-- ah, inexpensive digital scale that I bought from the USPS themselves, and it's been dead accurate in agreeing with the scales at our local PO. 

As for the original topic here, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I seriously doubt an overage of 0.4 ounces would have really triggered that new underweight billing system. Their own weighing equipment just isn't calibrated consistently or well-enough to agree network-wide, not to the point where a package accepted over the counter at 1.0 pounds or less isn't possibly going to get weighed by another piece of hardware somewhere else as 1 pound, 0.4 ounces instead.

The amount of arguing and bad customer relations that could result over a weighing discrepancy of four tenths of an ounce, multiplied by the number of customers in a country of... let's see here... (clickety-click...) 323.1 million is more than I can imagine. (Yes, I did read about those Beta-test messages flagging a 6.0-pound package at 6.01 pounds, but still...) I suspect that if the package weight is less than one ounce into the next increment, their new system going to look the other way. Perhaps not on Day One, but after it's been up and running for a month or so, cooler heads will prevail, and some discreet adjustments to the threshold will be made.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

"But if the clerk didn't weigh the package, the automated system still would. "

This automated system is not being used in very many locations.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Please come back if/when you get an extra charge.

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

@margincut wrote:

I have been using a digital scale for years, and this year i bought a second one as a back upslight_smile

I felt having a back up scale was a good idea. If mine goes out for any reason such as age, or gets taken out be a power surge/low voltage (not all that uncommon here) i would be unable to weigh some items for shipping. Guessing is not economical. Being wrong is not good. Driving to the Post Office to weigh before listing is not economical.

I got a digital scale that will weigh over 50 pounds.  First one was like 35. Seldom have things that heavy, but can now do if needed.  Operates on electricity, or just battery.

I was not in a rush to get the scale, so I was able to wait to get one on an auction listing for less than $10 including shipping by "flat rate Priority" shipping.  Same ones went at $20 or more depending upon the bidding frenzy. 

I bid during the last 10 seconds at the amount that I am willing to pay.  If I win, OK. If not, OK.   There are many many listings, and waiting for one that does not have a lot of activity sometimes pays off.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
Did the clerk scan the package into the system when you brought it in? This would recognize the postage as being used and ineligible for a refund. If so, it would have been better to just let it ride. If this occurred your out the initial postage plus the redo.
Message 15 of 19
latest reply