cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oversize package verification, please

5lb, 12oz package, going from 38868 to 79015

19x14x9 - this is NOT balloon rate or oversized rate, correct? Since the girth plus length is less than 108? Because I"m getting an oversize price on stamps.com and here on Ebay for Priority.

Customer paid for PS and I was going to send Priority if there wasn't much difference in price, but there is, almost $10 Smiley Frustrated

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

While it's not subect Balloon rate charges, it's subject to Dimensional weight charges.

Dimensional weight kicks in for Priority Mail going to Zones 5 and up for items over 1 cu foot in size (1,728 cu in)

LxWxH gives you cu. inches.  If over 1,728, USPS divides by 194.  That gives you the dimensional weight.

2,394 / 194 = 12.34.  It will ship at the 13 lb rate (or actual weight if higher) for Zones 5+

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

ahhh, okay.

So this does not apply? Because 19 + (14x2) + (9x2) is less than 84.  It's 65.  It's because it's a zone 5 package for Priority, right? Not necessarily the dimensions in this case?

https://stamps.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/169#Balloon%20Weight

Balloon Weight

If you are shipping a package to any destination using Parcel Select or Priority Mail (excluding flat rate envelopes and boxes) with a destination zip that falls into USPS zones 1 - 4, then you may be subject to the USPS Balloon Rate.  This rate only applies to packages that weight less than 20 pounds and whose Length (longest side) + (2 * Width) + (2 * Height) is between 84" and 108".  If your package meets these conditions then the postage rate will be based on your package weighing 20 lbs rather than its actual weight.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The "Balloon" rate applies to Priority Mail packages going to Zones 1 - 4 and to Retail Ground and Parcel Select Ground to all Zones.  It's equal to the zoned 20-pound rate.

The "Dimensional weight" applies to Priority Mail packages going to Zones 5 - 9.  It's calculated by dividing the volume (in cubic inches) by 194; the package will ship at that weight unless of course it actually weighs more. As noted in the other post, the dimensional weight of your package is over 12 pounds, so it will ship at the 13-pound rate.

The maximum length-plus-girth for Priority is 108 inches.  For Parcel Select and Retail Ground, packages with a L+G over 108 up to 130 inches will ship at the "Oversize" rate.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks, y'all. I had forgotten about the zone thing when comparing PS and Priority. Just wanted to confirm before I printed my label Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

No, Balloon Weight has nothing to do with it.  You're clearly under it.

Pull up the stuff on Dimensional Weight

https://www.usps.com/dimensionalweight/

(lol USPS is throwing "two major shipping companies" under the bus to make themselves look better.  While it's amusing, it's so unprofessional.)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply