cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other Sellers inflating sale price of my products

I noticed several sellers buying items from me and reselling them on e-bay. They are using my pictures, and written materials. And they are selling the item at double the price!  

My goal is to provide my items at a reasonable price and not inflate prices!!

I can have all my labels carry a - Not for Resale- tag as I have not authorized distribution to aby of these sellers.

I am also concerned about counterfeits that could be infringing my trademark and copyright.

What are my options?

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

You make your own products?  Why not start offering wholesale pricing branded to a seller's name?

For years I made and sold candles and soaps. I sold under my own brand and I also offered wholesale pricing to others (at a price that I made a good profit from) and they were branded to a particular seller/business, who was free to price however they wished.

I made a nice profit,  they made a nice profit and it kept me very busy Smiley Happy

And how would you feel if I bought some of those items and then opened up a competing store on ebay selling your brand name merchandise.

And what if I was not as careful as you and buyers were getting old and melted items.

And buyers thought I was representing your product?

Just something from that jewelry thread, in why people should not be able to take your licensed product and make their own business out of it without a contract from you that they will adhere to certain rules so as not to taint your product or good name.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

You make your own products?  Why not start offering wholesale pricing branded to a seller's name?

For years I made and sold candles and soaps. I sold under my own brand and I also offered wholesale pricing to others (at a price that I made a good profit from) and they were branded to a particular seller/business, who was free to price however they wished.

I made a nice profit,  they made a nice profit and it kept me very busy Smiley Happy

And how would you feel if I bought some of those items and then opened up a competing store on ebay selling your brand name merchandise.

And what if I was not as careful as you and buyers were getting old and melted items.

And buyers thought I was representing your product?

Just something from that jewelry thread, in why people should not be able to take your licensed product and make their own business out of it without a contract from you that they will adhere to certain rules so as not to taint your product or good name.

I think you are misunderstanding.

I produced the candles to the seller's specifications, with THEIR labels. I was the manufacturer for them. A seller would be quite silly to do what you are suggesting, in my case, because to buy MY branded items in an attempt to "ruin" me would cost them  more than double what it would cost for me to make an item with THEIR brand name. It just wouldn't be prudent to lose the services of your supplier in that manner. Most were making a heck of a lot  more money per unit than I was, but that was fine with me. I set my own price for the wholesale units and made a nice profit, they were free to sell for whatever price they wished. That was the bulk of my business. I was not a large Ebay or Etsy seller by any stretch of the imagination.  Offline sales and wholesale sales made up 80-85% of my business. Online sales were just a small percentage.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

I produced the candles to the seller's specifications, with THEIR labels

So you do not use your own "recipe" to make them?

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I produced the candles to the seller's specifications, with THEIR labels

So you do not use your own "recipe" to make them?

Unless you just have a proprietary fragrance or wax blend, then candles are pretty standard. (I'm talking simple jar soy candles, votives and wax melts, not fancy carved candles or hand dipped candles)

For example a client woud order 12 dozen lavender EO votives in whatever colors. They would need to specify dark or pastel, that's pretty much it, All came with the standard warning sticker on the bottom about burning in a proper container, etc. etc. If they wanted them wrapped, they would either supply the labels, or send me a pdf and I'd print them off. Everything would be specified by written contract. Nothing fancy, just what they wanted and my price, what I promised to deliver, and a time frame. Client was free to sell at their price, label with their labels, etc.

For jar candles, the client would always supply their own containers.

A lot of it depends I guess on what you make I guess.  I was just basing my observation on what the OP has for sale. Teas can be custom blended for a client, as can the scrubs.....but I don't know what OP pays for her raw materials, so I have no idea if there's any wiggle room there to allow wholesale pricing and still make a  profit.  Candles, up until about four years ago when raw material prices almost quadrupled in a three year period, there was a lot of room.

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

They are using my pictures, and written materials.

This is actually illegal according to eBay's Terms of Service. That's probably the only way you can get the listing taken down.

As for the product itself, once they pay for it and you ship it, it's their property. People buy and resell items all the time and that's not illegal. If these are handmade/homemade, try Etsy which is geared more towards handcrafted items.
Message 20 of 21
latest reply

Hi, where exactly can we find the link to this reporting tool? I saved the link you gave us but when I used it, it's no longer working. But every time I click the link that is on your comment it is working.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply