cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original offer not visible after counter offer

Yesterday I sent offers to interested customers through the eBay App on my phone. About halfway through I noticed that each was going out accepting counter offers, which I usually turn off. 

This morning I received a counter offer on one of these items. I am unable to find what my original offer was. If I check on my computer it allows me to either click Respond to offers, or using the small arrow and menu Review all offers. It only shows the counter offer. This doesn't seem right. Why can't I see the back and forth? 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

See if this will get you there; add the item number at the end of the URL:

offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ManageBestOffers&itemid=[ITEM_NUMBER]

Not sure if it'd work, since there would be multiple buyers.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

You need to record for yourself the offer price that you are sending potential buyers.

You say that EBay is accepting buyer counter offers on your behalf without your approval?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I accepted their offer before I tried your method so I don't know if it would have worked, as it doesn't now. But thanks!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I used to be able to make offer from my phone and it would just send the offer. Now it tells me that I am accepting counter offers, unless I specifically toggle counter offers off. I have to manually do this for each offer I make now. I'll have to look through settings and see if there's a master setting so I don't have to do this one by one. 

I didn't catch it on the first 8-10 items I made offers to buyers on. If I click on view offer history for items I made offers on it shows the offer amount I made to buyers and time remaining. When I clicked on the one that I got a counter offer on it only showed the counter offer. That doesn't seem like a good idea. I want to know what I offered first, and shouldn't need to manually keep track. I can often see multiple offers that I've made over a longer span of time to different people. Why should there be no record of what offer of mine they're countering? 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Since the original offer made would be void immediately after the counter offer was made, I fail to see the need for it to be visible.  Unless, of course, one can't remember what they offered.  In that case, I'd be careful of making any kind of offer without writing it down. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@smiles1012 wrote:

I used to be able to make offer from my phone and it would just send the offer. Now it tells me that I am accepting counter offers, unless I specifically toggle counter offers off. I have to manually do this for each offer I make now. I'll have to look through settings and see if there's a master setting so I don't have to do this one by one. 

I didn't catch it on the first 8-10 items I made offers to buyers on. If I click on view offer history for items I made offers on it shows the offer amount I made to buyers and time remaining. When I clicked on the one that I got a counter offer on it only showed the counter offer. That doesn't seem like a good idea. I want to know what I offered first, and shouldn't need to manually keep track. I can often see multiple offers that I've made over a longer span of time to different people. Why should there be no record of what offer of mine they're countering? 

I agree with you this aspect of make offers is annoying. What I have been doing is right before I hit send on any offers that I am making to buyers I take a screenshot. That way I at least have a visual record of the offers that I have sent which I can then reference later on if  I find that I need to.

It's not a perfect solution but it does work for this kind of situation.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Well, yes. I'm making offers as a seller , so just because someone countered doesn't make my original offer invalid? It's negotiating.  I can obviously just decline and that's holding my original offer with no negotiating, but if I accept counteroffers (which I didn't intend to do), then you need that base point  to continue to negotiate from. When I do a batch at a time I am not going to remember them all.  I accepted the counter since it was a low priced item and my original cost was low and it was senseless to go back and forth. 

But now I know that's how it works I will make note if I make offers with counteroffers enabled on higher priced items. It's just a lack of precision/documentation that irritates me. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks,

I think I would do that with higher priced items - screenshot. Meanwhile I will just be most diligent about not allowing counteroffers. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@smiles1012 wrote:

Thanks,

I think I would do that with higher priced items - screenshot. Meanwhile I will just be most diligent about not allowing counteroffers. 

It would be nice if eBay had a check box for this offer to buyers feature, where in the sellers could disable the ability for buyers to send counter offers. Because most of time the offers that I send to buyers is my best price. But other times I may be open to counter offers. Being able to turn counter offers on or off would be a handy feature for sellers. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply