cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online auctions sure don't work in favor of the buyer (or the seller for that matter).

I've bought a few things to resell from online auctions in my area, but man, they aren't fun.

1. Shipping only. Some places only ship. Very large and heavy item? Forget it, unless you want to pay $50 for shipping on top of the item.

2. Dimly lit photos. Look to be taken with a mid 2000's flip phone. Couple that with shipping only, and your really taking a gamble on the condition of the items. I've always wondered if some auction houses do this on purpose to easily hide flaws, similar to how some live auctions are dimly lit themselves.

3. Missing essential information. Here is a $1,000 electronic item like a high end amplifier. Was it plugged in? Hooked up or test at all? Lights up? That's for you to find out...

4. High fees. 20% for the buyer's premium, 3.5% for the credit card, $10 for handling. Keep in mind, you'd think other buyers would keep these fees in mind when bidding, but many do not. It also amuses me they charge to use your card. Does a restaurant, department store, etc charge a credit card fee? Of course not...

5. Extending the auction when there is a bid. Most places add 5 minutes onto the timer when someone else bids. I'm glad eBay doesn't do this. Can you imagine having to sit there and wait again if someone bids. Most local auctions only go about 10 more seconds after a bid.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Online auctions sure don't work in favor of the buyer (or the seller for that matter).

@bargainsandbaubles wrote:

@coolections wrote:

Really not sure what you are getting at but if you do not like those auctions just don't bid at those auctions. I know here on Ebay auctions are booming for at least the items I buy and sell.

Right now it's about the only place to find stuff to resell. All of the thrift stores, second hand and consignment stores along with on-site auctions are closed due to Covid-19. Which also means no yard or estate sales either.

When it comes to purchasing things at auction to be offered for resale, I advise caution.  Always remember that the auctioneer is acting as an agent for the seller and not the buyer and has a fiduciary responsibility to their client.

As with any type of sale, there are bargains to be had but they are not guaranteed.  When it comes to selling anything, you make your profit not from what you sell it for, but rather what you bought it for. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

We also have a $25 fee minimum for each consignment - so the consignment must be likely to sell for at least $250.  Most are higher although some lots sell under $100.

Our auctions usually gross over  $750,000 Cdn  and we have four a year. In addition to live internet bidding, we offer telephone bidding, an active floor, and mail/email/fax bidding.

There is a local auction here which has a gestetnered lot list- I'm too snobbish to call it a catalogue- with only a few of the items actually photographed. I suspect a lot of their lots sell to resellers from back East. They handle a lot of estates for wealthy retirees making them a good source but, in my opinion, a poor way to sell.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:
Buyer's premiums are a total joke. I can't believe the stupidity of places that do that. The credit card fee I get, but don't agree with it.

I love bid extensions. The come in handy sometimes when it comes to playing mind games and trying to outlast someone 😛

Overall most of these rinky dink little auctioneers and auction sites wouldn't make it in the real world of eCommerce.

Quite an interesting take on the auction industry you have.  I wonder how well you would do on a State Board exam to obtain an auctioneer license.  By the way, in most states auctions conducted by electronic means such as online fall under the same licensing laws as any other auction sale conducted within the state.  That includes the same penalties for breaking them.   

What on earth on you talking about? Not a single person in this thread has expressed any interest about becoming an auctioneer themselves.

BTW, the state I live in (Iowa), does NOT require a license to become an auctioneer, and boy does it show.

If one sells here on eBay using an auction style listing that person is selling at auction and required to abide by the laws governing the conduct of auctions in their state.  Since this thread is likely to be read by more than just those residing in your state of Iowa it is advisable that they educate themselves in the laws governing auctions in their state.  That includes those that don't think online auctions fall under those laws.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

If one sells here on eBay using an auction style listing that person is selling at auction and required to abide by the laws governing the conduct of auctions in their state.  Since this thread is likely to be read by more than just those residing in your state of Iowa it is advisable that they educate themselves in the laws governing auctions in their state.  That includes those that don't think online auctions fall under those laws.

Oh my goodness...you don't need an auctioneer's license to sell on eBay..

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:
Buyer's premiums are a total joke. I can't believe the stupidity of places that do that. The credit card fee I get, but don't agree with it.

I love bid extensions. The come in handy sometimes when it comes to playing mind games and trying to outlast someone 😛

Overall most of these rinky dink little auctioneers and auction sites wouldn't make it in the real world of eCommerce.

Quite an interesting take on the auction industry you have.  I wonder how well you would do on a State Board exam to obtain an auctioneer license.  By the way, in most states auctions conducted by electronic means such as online fall under the same licensing laws as any other auction sale conducted within the state.  That includes the same penalties for breaking them.   

I doubt I would pass.  I don't have the skill or stamina to run a live auction.  Just the clerking is quite the job on its own.  Luckily the one auctioneer I frequent runs a solid operation and knows how to run things where everyone wins.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

Dealing with incompetent sellers is an opportunity.

If they were efficient and competent, there wouldn't be nearly as much chance for a score.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

That may not be entirely accurate.  It depends upon the type of selling that you do and the laws of the state in which you are located.   While some states do not require auctioneers to be licensed others have strict licensing requirements.  Many states have statutes that deem online auctions, including those on eBay, to fall under the same rules and regulations as live auctions.  That is why I recommend checking with one's state to make sure.  Some states actually require not only an auctioneer license but also an auction business one as well.  Plus te regular occupational licenses applicable to all businesses.

While most states do not require someone selling their own goods at auction to have a valid auctioneer license, they do when acting as an agent for someone else.  There are some that make exceptions when the auction is for charity but even then there cannot be any compensation received for providing the service.

So you may think that my posts are total nonsense, but I assure that they are not.  

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

That may not be entirely accurate.  It depends upon the type of selling that you do and the laws of the state in which you are located.   While some states do not require auctioneers to be licensed others have strict licensing requirements. 

Which states are those? Please give examples of states that require an auctioneer license to sell on Ebay.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

That may not be entirely accurate.  It depends upon the type of selling that you do and the laws of the state in which you are located.   While some states do not require auctioneers to be licensed others have strict licensing requirements. 

Which states are those? Please give examples of states that require an auctioneer license to sell on Ebay.

Check with the State of Florida, Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Auction Board for one.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

Check with the State of Florida, Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Auction Board for one.

Thats for auctioneers. Someone selling on Ebay is not an auctioneer. Ebay is the auctioneer - and even thats only true if the seller has uploaded the item as an auction and not a Buyitnow. Obviously there are just as many sellers on Ebay from Florida as from anywhere else and you dont hear either Florida or Ebay complaining about it.

Please give examples of states that require an auctioneer license to sell on Ebay. Please remember that the link you post has to actually prove your claim. Pointing vaguely in the direction of some office in some state is not the same thing. Especially when it fails to prove your claim - its as if you did not read it yourself.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

@7606dennis 

Could you post the link showing people from Florida cannot auction items on Ebay.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@7606dennis wrote:

@7606dennis 

Could you post the link showing people from Florida cannot auction items on Ebay.

I did not say that people from Florida could not auction items on eBay.  What I said was that those conducting auctions on eBay are subject to the same laws regarding licensing and the conducting of auctions as any other resident of the state.   This would include the need to be licensed as an auctioneer and possibly as an auction business if engaged in selling items at auction as an agent for the owner of those items.  

You are free to check with the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation for details of what businesses and professions fall under their jurisdiction.  The Board of Auctioneers is the one that specifically deals with Auctioneers & Auction Business regulation.   Of course, each state has their own laws governing the conducting of auction sales so it is recommended that people intending to sell at auction familiarize themselves with the laws of the state in which they operate.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Oh!  Here is the link to the FL DBPR .

Message 28 of 28
latest reply