cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd offer?

I listed an item last night, this morning I receive an offer for the same BIN price I listed it for. Buyer wants me to call or text them so they can "hurry up and make paypal payment". This is a first for me. Anyone else experienced this? If it's a scam, how so?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Odd offer?

@robimcco6 wrote:

I listed an item last night, this morning I receive an offer for the same BIN price I listed it for. Buyer wants me to call or text them so they can "hurry up and make paypal payment". This is a first for me. Anyone else experienced this? If it's a scam, how so?

It's a scam!  They will send you a fake PayPal message saying you've been paid.  Keep everything on eBay!

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

I wouldn't even reply.

I would do nothing and let the offer time out.

Just ignore, it's a scam.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

SCAM!!!

They want your email address so they can send you a very real looking FAKE Paypal payment email in the hopes that you are too naive to actually log directly in to Paypal and check for a payment. You ship, they get the item and you have no money. This scam works amazingly well because far too many sellers (even experienced ones) don't directly verify payments before shipping.

BLOCK the buyer https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?bidderblocklogin

If you can report them without actually being in a transaction with them, then do so.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

What they said ^^^^^.  IGNORE.....BLOCK....AND REPORT!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

Just another thief.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

@robimcco6 wrote:

It is a scam … but I would respond to them anyway … and then block them 😉

If I were really felling ornery, I would accept the offer and then open the UPI when they don't pay 😉

Dear Buyer;

Payment is easy on eBay... No need for outside communication or extra steps.

Just go to your cart and checkout using PayPal.

Thank You.

Seller

Then add their name to your BBL

https://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BidderBlockLogin

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

Ebay messaging is the only way to safely converse, that way there will always be a record.  Ebay is a party to every sale and if you're on the phone or texting they are excluded.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

Ebay messaging is the only way to safely converse, 

Nothing safe about this.  The scam attempt is coming via eBay messages in the first place.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

@ittybitnot wrote:

Ebay messaging is the only way to safely converse, 

Nothing safe about this.  The scam attempt is coming via eBay messages in the first place.  

But if you ignore their request to take it off-eBay, you'll be OK.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:... It is a scam … but I would respond to them anyway … and then block them ...

Why bother?

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Odd offer?

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:... It is a scam … but I would respond to them anyway … and then block them ...

Why bother?

So that eBay doesn't ding me for trying to make an off-site sale.

The blues have always said it was better to respond with a "no, I can't do that" than to ignore.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 12 of 12
latest reply