cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd message when submitting a best offer

Hello everyone,

Is this something new? I submitted a best offer on a listing and as I was putting in my offer amount, a box popped up and said "The seller is more likely to respond to an offer of XXX".

The offer wasn't automatically declined or anything. I did, however, feel like a complete cheapskate.  I put in a message that I am interested in the item and perhaps we can make a deal.

I am hopeful this little message doesn't show up on my listings.  I am listing things to move them - not gather dust.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Was it a multi-quantity item with a sales history or was it a one-off item?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Hi,

It is the only item for sale by this seller.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

That came up for me on the ebay germany site when I put in a best offer.

Actually I followed their advice and the seller accepted the offer.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@russianbluecatgirl wrote:

Hello everyone,

Is this something new? I submitted a best offer on a listing and as I was putting in my offer amount, a box popped up and said "The seller is more likely to respond to an offer of XXX".

The offer wasn't automatically declined or anything. I did, however, feel like a complete cheapskate.  I put in a message that I am interested in the item and perhaps we can make a deal.

I am hopeful this little message doesn't show up on my listings.  I am listing things to move them - not gather dust.

Thoughts?

Is ebay basing this "more likely" on the seller's minimum acceptable amount?

Or is ebay just pulling some kind of trending number out of its the air and this is another test?

OP, I don't expect you to know the answers ^^^ I'm just pondering.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I don't see anything bad about that message.  

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I suspect that the seller may have an auto accept for the amount Ebay suggests.

There is nothing bad about this per se....however, I would prefer not to have this pop up on my listings.  I'm open to all reasonable offers. Don't scare a buyer away. If something has been sitting awhile, even a low offer is better than no offer. This is just me speaking, of course.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Hello everyone,

Thoughts?

Hello everyone,

"The seller is more likely to respond to an offer of XXX".

I am listing things to move them - not gather dust.

Thoughts?

When the above message appears, why even bother to submit your offer, best for me to just move on.

And that's what I would do.

I don't submit lowball offers, 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Except for the fact that eBay is now meddling in bidders too. I doubt this is anything except another eBay tactic like those 'your items are on watch lists so you should lower the price'.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

Is ebay basing this "more likely" on the seller's minimum acceptable amount?

Or is ebay just pulling some kind of trending number out of its the air and this is another test?

OP, I don't expect you to know the answers ^^^ I'm just pondering.

I think the OP's post already answers those questions. 

The only way eBay could determine a seller's minimum acceptable amount would be to look at his auto-decline setting - but since the OP indicates that he offered less than the suggestion and it was not auto-declined, that does not seem to be the case. 

So yes - eBay is pulling some kind of trending number out of somewhere. That somewhere could be the air, or it could be based on actual accepted offers for similar items. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or maybe they're looking at the auto-accept threshold as that would result in an instantaneous sale should the buyer raise their offer.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Or maybe they're looking at the auto-accept threshold as that would result in an instantaneous sale should the buyer raise their offer.

Quite true - I never thought of that side of things. 

I guess I've been reading so many stories here about cheapskates and bottom feeders that I'm conditioned to only think about offers that are too low - not offers that are actually acceptable 🙂

Message 12 of 12
latest reply