cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonpayer but date of sale keeps changing....

Hi!  I had a buyer make an offer on 5/12 and I accepted it but buyer still has not paid after multiple emails and invoices sent.   However, the date of the sale keeps changing in my sold list.  First it changed to 5/15 and this morning it changed to 5/17 so I am of course unable to file an unpaid claim because enough days have not expired.  I'm hesitant to just cancel the transaction as opposed to an unpaid item claim.  Meanwhile I cannot relist it and it's just sitting there.  I've never had this happen before.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Multiple emails and invoices sent.    Every time you send an invoice the date resets.

Buyer does Buy it now,    He knows this,  He's aware of what he's done.  

48 hours later ebay send him a reminder.

You send him a reminder,   date resets.

You send him another reminder,   date resets again.

Waiting out the 96 hours to file the NPB is important.    You get the fees returned to you,  

The sport bidder gets a ding and finds it harder to mess with the next guy.

You block him,    He can't come back with that ID.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

There's no such thing as a NPB anymore. Buyers don't get strikes against them anymore. Ebay doesn't care about sellers anymore. It's that simple. They should state in their terms how long they will wait for payment and then close it out for nonpayment. 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

That may be true, however, in your block settings you can block users with x amount of NPB in x amount of time which does stop those accounts.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thank you so much for the info!  I was totally not aware that the date reset!  All the best!  Lynn

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Thanks so much, debvor!!  🙂  

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Hey @lynn187846 

There's no reason to send an invoice unless you have to make an adjustment, for example combined shipping costs or adding another shipping method the buyer requested.

eBay sends out payment reminders to buyers automatically. Sending invoices is a duplication of efforts and clogs the buyer's inbox.

Sending an invoice locks in the shipping cost. That could have a big financial impact on someone that uses calculated shipping. The shipping price gets locked in based on the buyer's default location, but if they change the address at checkout to have that item shipped to Mom across the country, that shipping cost can change by leaps and bounds and seller is out the $$.

Finally, sending an invoice resets the clock on when an order can be cancelled for non-payment when sellers handle UPIs manually. The automated system will cancel based on the seller's settings regardless of sending an invoice, but when you use the manual process and an invoice is sent it resets the clock, giving the buyer an additional 4 days before the system will let the seller cancel.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@debvor wrote:

There's no such thing as a NPB anymore. Buyers don't get strikes against them anymore..... They should state in their terms how long they will wait for payment and then close it out for nonpayment. 

Buyers do still get a strike when a seller cancels for nonpayment, and sellers who set up their site preferences to block bidders/buyers based on their strikes history can still see its effectiveness in their buyer requirements activity log.  Sellers can even choose to set up the cancellation process to automatically proeced after 4 days.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@debvor 

96 hours after the listing ends (or 96 hours after the last seller generated invoice) the seller will have the option to cancel for nonpayment. 

Once canceled for nonpayment, the buyer is given a strike, a mark, a demerit, whatever you want to call it. 
This can even be set to automatically cancel, issue the strike and relist the item. 
Any feedback exchanged by either party will be removed. 

Sellers can block bidders with a history of two nonpayment cancellations in the past year. 
The strictest setting would be two strikes in 12 months. 
These strikes are not viewable to fellow users. Just like I can’t see how many speeding tickets you have just by looking at your driver’s license. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

All you would have needed to do is wait til original date of sale had passed by five days, then cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as your reason.  

There is no longer any such animal as "unpaid item claim".  Just cancel as above.

This could have been over awhile ago if you had not continued to send invoices.  

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Buyers do get strikes against them if the seller does the correct thing with a nonpayment.

Stating in their terms how long they will wait is useless.  Unless it's IPR, a buyer had 4 days to pay.  Seller can cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as the reason.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I know some people want to keep the sales, but I just put automatic 4 day cancellation for non payment and then in my block settings put the lowest settings over 12 months for buyers who have received non payment cancellations. 

Then just relist and not deal with that account again.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@debvor wrote:

There's no such thing as a NPB anymore. Buyers don't get strikes against them anymore. Ebay doesn't care about sellers anymore. It's that simple. They should state in their terms how long they will wait for payment and then close it out for nonpayment. 

This is just flat out incorrect. Buyers do get strikes. 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Thanks so much for everybody's input.  It's much appreciated!

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

We've been messing around with NPBs since the very beginning of ebay.    Do I remember that once upon 

a time 4 NPBs filed got sport bidders Narued?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply