cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New sales tax and exemptions for common folk

In MN neither clothing or most grocery items are not taxable. Is eBay making the State Taxes to align with those purchases or is there a way to recover Sales Taxes Not collected on those items. I am not talking about exemptions for Charities. 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I am not sure ebay writes a code for every state, I think it's all in a national database that all can access to determine what's taxable and at what rate..

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I think eBay collects and remits on all the purchases.   You get it back in the form of a tax credit when you pay income tax.   

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Exemptions are based on the category that the item is listed in.  If your state doesn't tax clothing then items in the clothing categories won't be taxed.  But for instance a shirt listed in Sports Memorabilia would be taxed.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Also, according to a post by an eBay employee you should make certain that your registered zip code includes the additional 4 digits which are used to compute the correct tax. Otherwise you are charged the "blanket" amount for that area.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

I think eBay collects and remits on all the purchases.   You get it back in the form of a tax credit when you pay income tax.   

Not all states have income taxes.

https://www.thebalance.com/state-income-tax-rates-3193320

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

If eBay collects the  sales taxes from the buyer why  in the world would a seller ever get a tax credit on their income tax.  The seller only receives the Item sold price plus any s & h  charge.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

@fab_finds4u   Can you clarify what tax credit you're talking about here?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@ten_o_nineJust an FYI for you. There is no national database. This is not a national law. In fact, that was the reason SCOTUS ruled in favor of the state.

Each State writes their own laws. They don't communicate and they don't have a common solution. It's not a federal program and the federal government isn't involved. So there are 37 states that collect sales tax. There are 37 different unique laws. eBay must access each one of those 37 bills and ensure they are collecting the appropriate amount for buyers in those states as defined by those laws. It's very complex and annoying.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

@fab_finds4u wrote:

If eBay collects the  sales taxes from the buyer why  in the world would a seller ever get a tax credit on their income tax.  The seller only receives the Item sold price plus any s & h  charge.

I think the poster was talking about the buyer needing to claim a credit on his state income tax, because he is the one who paid tax to the state on an exempt item and deserves the refund.

But that would vary by state, and since I live in a state without income or sales tax, I have no direct knowledge in the matter.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@luckthewinner

Once upon a time &long ago - one could deduct  sale tax  paid off your  feedral income tax as an exemption.  But that died along ago.

If a a seller  buys stuff for resale the can  avoid the  sales tax by having a sales exemption certificate and a copy of this must be file with  eBay.  Think the certificate is  goo for one  calendar year & must be renewed

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 11 of 11
latest reply