cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New rash of people flipping out about sales tax

I'm a native NY'er but I have moved in and out of the state numerous times.  Every time I move back, I get re-licensed to sell and collect sales tax (the law, for those who may be unaware).  I was gone for a year, moved back, and began collecting tax again in NY.  

In the last month or so, I've had four people demand to know why I am collecting sales tax.  They live in NY, I live in NY.  These laws have existed for probably the tune of all of American history (or at least, when each colony/state instituted the tax laws).   I cannot recall any time prior (so starting about a couple years ago) where I ever had this issue.  People bought, paid the tax, and respected the fact I am required by law to collect it. 

The real problem is, three of those four - upon discovering they had to obey the law - demanded I either refund the tax or just outright cancel the transaction.  That is not only insanely offensive to me but it's a true insult to put someone in that position.  

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@michael_atw wrote:

I'm a native NY'er but I have moved in and out of the state numerous times.  Every time I move back, I get re-licensed to sell and collect sales tax (the law, for those who may be unaware).  I was gone for a year, moved back, and began collecting tax again in NY.  

In the last month or so, I've had four people demand to know why I am collecting sales tax.  They live in NY, I live in NY.  These laws have existed for probably the tune of all of American history (or at least, when each colony/state instituted the tax laws).   I cannot recall any time prior (so starting about a couple years ago) where I ever had this issue.  People bought, paid the tax, and respected the fact I am required by law to collect it. 

The real problem is, three of those four - upon discovering they had to obey the law - demanded I either refund the tax or just outright cancel the transaction.  That is not only insanely offensive to me but it's a true insult to put someone in that position.  

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Do you have a note in your listings saying the items shipped to NY addresses will be charged sales tax?

I have a note like that in all my listings, and buyers who bother to read will be warned in advance that they will be charged sales tax on items shipped to California addresses.  Perhaps that note looses me some sales, but it also seems to have avoided hassle with buyers.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I live in California, and the same thing happens here.  I guess we're used to it, though - someone once said that the US was like a blanket and someone on the East Coast lifted the edge, flapped it, and all the nuts ended up on the West Coast.

However, it has been going on, also, since the advent of tax laws.  How many have become millionaires by tax evasion?  How do you think they can hold on to their money, and get more - others paying the tax or 'getting around it'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

He doesn't need to add a note. The information is on the listing's shipping and payments tab and it's shown to the buyer at checkout before they pay.

Some buyers are from an Amazon generation where they think online sales shouldn't be taxed. They're clueless that even when a retailer doesn't tax them they are still supposed to report it when they file taxes in April.

Good night and good luck
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

No but I have a warning in my listings. Those people are in for a rude awakening once the States all implement internet use taxes.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Many of us grew up on an eBay where everything moorland you need to know about a sale is listed in the description not buried under some tab.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Do you have a note in your listings saying the items shipped to NY addresses will be charged sales tax?

Nope, never have.  And apparently, according to another thread I literally just read, someone found in the "ebay tax policy" that it's not allowed.  I could be wrong, it's irrelevant to me to find out since I don't do that and I don't believe it's required in any event. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

It shouldn't matter whether it's in the description, on the payments tab or both. The buyer still sees it at checkout before they commit to the purchase and pay for it. The OP is experiencing buyers who pay and afterwards demand a refund of the tax or an order cancel. There's no excuse for that when they saw the tax before they paid.

Good night and good luck
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

"He doesn't need to add a note. The information is on the listing's shipping and payments tab and it's shown to the buyer at checkout before they pay."

I've seen this increase in "obvious pieces of information" being missed by buyers.  I don't know if it's the mobile app or what.  It's only been recent.  People wanting to return because of an issue clearly noted in listing photos or description.  People complaining about tax that is noted.  Weird stuff.  Memory only serves me so well but seem like very recent issues in the sense that, the frequency isn't "once in a blue moon".

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@helloandgoodmorning wrote:

He doesn't need to add a note. The information is on the listing's shipping and payments tab and it's shown to the buyer at checkout before they pay.

You definitely have a point, the information about taxes charged is in those spots, but... .

How many buyers bother to click on the shipping&payments tab before they bid or buy?  I confess that I don't. 

I just read the shipping amount that appears in the search results or on the BIN/bid page, and that figure never includes any possible sales tax.  Seeing the tax in Checkout seems to be a bit late, after I've won an auction or have done a BIN and committed to buy.

I put that note in my listings because I think having that information in as many places as possible makes it more likely that a buyer will see it.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

As someone who buys quite often, I've never once had the urge to do anything other than ask for a tax number.  If they produce one, I pay the tax and write it off on the next return I file (when applicable).  If they don't have one, they are fraudulent.  I would encourage those reading this who have issue with taxes to take it up with the government instead of the sellers.  That shouldn't have to be noted.   Even if I have trouble finding the tab, I assume all transactions in the state of my residence are taxed.  

Besides, who has the gall to pull the same stunt in a store?  Have you ever had the urge to yell at the server at the restaurant because you, "didn't know the meal would be taxed"?  Smh.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@tealt wrote:

How many buyers bother to click on the shipping&payments tab before they bid or buy?  I confess that I don't.

Like I said above, it doesn't matter. The buyer still sees it at checkout before they commit to the purchase and pay the same as all other retail sites.

If they don't want to pay the tax then they shouldn't complete the purchase. The OPs buyers are completing the purchase then they're complaining afterwards.

Is it because of the buyers that come with the OP's category?

A change to the way item cost, shipping and tax are displayed at checkout on the app?

Ignorant buyers not reading the total before they pay?
An unlucky string of entitled buyers?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Good night and good luck
Message 12 of 12
latest reply