cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Trick of the Chinese & Hong Kong sellers? Price changes

I know this is not news to most of you

but out of curiousity I clicked on a listing that flat stated Converse All Stars for 5.99, many colors

Not a range of prices, just 5.99, so it was splashed all over the left side of another Ebay page

Ok

Got to the listing, chose size and color, and boom the price changes to 19.99

So I think, well maybe it is just that size or color?

No. Every size and every color changes to 19.99. There were never 5.99 sneakers and still are not. But they are listed as that, get to the top of searches based on that 5.99, and get promoted by Ebay

Bait and switch.

With free, American public subsidized shipping

But how do they do it? How do they get them listed as 5.99 when none are?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Not new and not exclusive to Asian based sellers.

Usually the low priced item is some sort of accessory that doesn't really belong in the variations set. Other times it's a size which is always out of stock which is the cheap one.

I see it on some other sites as well as eBay.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

But how do they do it? How do they get them listed as 5.99 when none are?

I don't know, but I've had the same experience. 

I've seen 5.99-15.99 in search results, but there's nothing but 15.99 in the listing. 

The results that aren't search results... recommended for you, similar to item you're watching, other buyers also viewed... those results seem to omit the price range, and just show the lower price.  Those are the ones that usually get me, I already learned to avoid the listings with price ranges, because they all work that way.  But when they've got the exact same stock photo of the item I want, and the price is just $5.99 with no range... I don't know how to avoid looking at those. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Not new and not exclusive to Asian based sellers.

Usually the low priced item is some sort of accessory that doesn't really belong in the variations set. Other times it's a size which is always out of stock which is the cheap one.

I see it on some other sites as well as eBay.

I've seen plenty of those, but that's not we're talking about.  There is no 5.99 item at all.  Period.  Not even as an "Out Of Stock" option, or "Don't Buy" variation.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I checked a few similar listings and if you scroll down the sizes before you pick a color they have an odd size showing - size 2.3332. Pick that size and it shows that it is available in purple only for $5.99. Of course any other sizes or colours are $19.99.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'm so sick of the garbage I have been running into on here with the overseas sellers. Number one, the price scams and the sizes of things. I buy an extra large dog sweater and it comes in so small We had to send it to a relative, that has a 6 lb dog.  I admit that its looking like I am a slow learner. Ha ha. Then half of what you buy from china never arives. Scam number two. By the time you wait to receive it, it's off your list. So because it's so cheap I never bother to do anything about it. Now I try not to buy from them. Unless it's crafts supplies, which believe it or not, they do make rather nice and reasonable. But on the other hand, I do have a couple of suppliers that are terrific and have very nice quality items and are trustworthy. This is just a good example of why ebay is tanking. Not to mention they let them take over this site and list the same products thousands of times. So I agree with you and hear you. too bad Ebay doesnt?HUH?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply