cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tax Requirements on selling. E bay it may be really bye bye

Sad on e bay to have to report sellers with over $600 in sales profit. Free mailing is going to disappear on my listings.  About 95% of all things I sell I offer this service.  It is just going to be to much of a hassle to keep up with all the gas receipts.  Because after all them with the cost of my mailing supply's my taxes will be negative.  My innovatory is really very high since I sell wood.  But I keep it listed at a very low amount lately.  Because I sell on here as much as a share not really never hardly made any real $. Like I have a 1 pound $ 13.99 listing and make really about $2 for from 15 to 40 mins of my time. Be for real.  The fees more fees taxes and more taxes is about more than I want to share more for . I live 14 miles from the post office.  Make a trip almost every day, I know I could use them pick up but. I would be on their clock not mine and do not use.  My goal is fastest mailing.  I pay lots of taxes on my property and trees on it every year. I Pay taxes on all I buy. Then sell it and it is taxed twice again.  I am a very skilled man but staring to feel like a dummy.  So e bay may see the vacation I am on a go lots longer.  The I.R.S should be abolished.  It is nothing but another away saying you will never really own nothing America is a lie. Saying you own your home everyone knows that.  But now with this new tax deal you do not even own your anything. Because you better keep up with the receipts you paid for it.  And what you sold it for. On old items that have been taxed to death already who says what its worth ? in your innovatory. It went from 200 sales and 1000s of dollars to report to $ 600 to report. What dose that say about the jerks we elected.  Thanks and best wishes to all that read my post.  

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

@tguitar_123 

Some jurisdictions changed the 1099K amount for 2021. 
It might be worth looking it to what your state has set for the online 1099K threshold and what dates it applies to. 

If you’re more of a gambler, wait until the end of January when these are scheduled to start hitting the mailboxes. 
FBMP is also sending out 1099Ks 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 31 of 54
latest reply

Have you considered running for elected office, to be a member of the House of Representatives?  
Your military service background could help you gain support and votes.  
Then you could have a voice and a vote in decisions on taxation on the federal level.  

Message 32 of 54
latest reply

@monroe67 wrote:

Have you considered running for elected office, to be a member of the House of Representatives?  
Your military service background could help you gain support and votes.  
Then you could have a voice and a vote in decisions on taxation on the federal level.  

That is an interesting idea, monroe67.  However, I suppose it would depend on one's military service record as to how much support would be garnered by it.  There is also a matter of whether one's views on taxation were feasible.  After all, there are many programs funded by tax dollars that may be hard to live without, which is what could be the outcome of not having tax dollars to spend.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 33 of 54
latest reply

Oh it will get better and better. Inflation at Jimmy Carter levels, taxes up the wazoo. Big brother is very real in 2022. Here's some more lowlights: Go research the "Shop Safe" Act. The government aligned with big tech and big business want to completely shut down online sales from independent sellers period. I guess the $600 1099-K threshold was to catch & deter , next step is stop it altogether under the guise of preventing stolen merchandise. Which is something I've alluded to out here. But that net is too wide.

Remember in the old days they wrote books and movies about a future world that's basically dystopian? Look around and tell me that's not exactly what is happening. The disease, climate, economies and empires (here's to you USA) starting to collapse. The cash only black markets with AI controlled robots patrolling them aren't as far away as we think they are. 

It's all terrifying.

Message 34 of 54
latest reply

@wildpitchsports wrote:

Remember in the old days they wrote books and movies about a future world that's basically dystopian? Look around and tell me that's not exactly what is happening. The disease, climate, economies and empires (here's to you USA) starting to collapse.

If only the USA hadn't spent 1/2017-1/2021 denying that those problems exist ...

Message 35 of 54
latest reply

@dq3141 wrote:

@wildpitchsports wrote:

Remember in the old days they wrote books and movies about a future world that's basically dystopian? Look around and tell me that's not exactly what is happening. The disease, climate, economies and empires (here's to you USA) starting to collapse.

If only the USA hadn't spent 1/2017-1/2021 denying that those problems exist ...

The USA changed after 9/11/01 and definitely for the worse. Bush was always in attack the middle east mode - I'll always think he went to Iraq just to finish what his dad didn't. They posed no threat. Obama had a golden opportunity to bring real change and it was kind of squandered. The next guy well...we all saw that. Biden has honestly been dealt a raw hand but I just don't see things being done to make it better. Funny story on election eve (fully expecting Hillary to win) I was like well, maybe she will bring back some 1990's common sense. After all Bill did things that today Republicans wouldn't even go that far to the right to do. Now, here we are. And I honestly lean right but not Qanon Alex Jones crazy right. 

Message 36 of 54
latest reply

Yard sales, lemonade stands, and swap meets don't fund our country's economy. The government doesn't need every teenage jewelry artist on etsy to chip in to keep things going. You'll find a lot of broke white knights screaming for you to "pay your fair share," but it's hard to take this sentiment sincerely when we have so many people evading taxes up to and including our highest level of office... and being loud and proud about it!

Unfortunately, a lot has happened in the economic world since the internet hit the scene, and we have done nothing to prepare for it. You can't compare a local municipality's claim on a bake sale to the amount of money the government deserves out of a transaction made on the largely ad-supported internet. And eBay's cut isn't so easy to figure out either. Anyone frothing at the mouth to loudly explain to you what is and isn't fair just hasn't given this issue any thought whatsoever, and you shouldn't feel bad if they are judging you.

You'll have to start with government, though, if you want to change any of these policies. And as far as "bye bye to eBay," well, people have been saying that for over 20 years, but as long as new users keep signing up and money keeps getting made, eBay is going to keep doing what they do to make more money.

Message 37 of 54
latest reply

@omgitlightsup wrote:

Yard sales, lemonade stands, and swap meets don't fund our country's economy. The government doesn't need every teenage jewelry artist on etsy to chip in to keep things going. You'll find a lot of broke white knights screaming for you to "pay your fair share," but it's hard to take this sentiment sincerely when we have so many people evading taxes up to and including our highest level of office... and being loud and proud about it!

Unfortunately, a lot has happened in the economic world since the internet hit the scene, and we have done nothing to prepare for it. You can't compare a local municipality's claim on a bake sale to the amount of money the government deserves out of a transaction made on the largely ad-supported internet. And eBay's cut isn't so easy to figure out either. Anyone frothing at the mouth to loudly explain to you what is and isn't fair just hasn't given this issue any thought whatsoever, and you shouldn't feel bad if they are judging you.

You'll have to start with government, though, if you want to change any of these policies. And as far as "bye bye to eBay," well, people have been saying that for over 20 years, but as long as new users keep signing up and money keeps getting made, eBay is going to keep doing what they do to make more money.

ebay is just doing what they need to do in this instance to comply with the law. As passed by elected officials. We all need to do a better job of getting involved to protect our interests just like those who lobby in Congress.

To the "white knight" point - you're a tax evader if you didn't claim that $1.20 you made in 1996 for selling 12 lemonade cups. If people are tired of posts or hate them, they could always just not click them, let alone comment them.  That's like a troll on reddit or twitter saying they "don't care." Clearly if you didn't care you wouldn't be here in this thread.

Message 38 of 54
latest reply

A few things with regards to your response. First any "smart seller" has already been factoring in the income tax to their pricing, because they have always been paying taxes, and for most it is nowhere near 40%. You pay income tax on the net profit not the gross shown on the 1099. Example: If you are selling a $100 item you do not add $40 (aka 40%) to the price to account for taxes you add what you expect the taxes to be on your net return on the item after you have deducted all the fees, shipping, POV, packing materials, etc. 

So lets say after you have an expected net return that figure is $40 and you are in 24% tax bracket then what you add to the price to cover that is $9.60 or about a 10% increase in the $100 price. So you list it for $110.

Message 39 of 54
latest reply

@lovett-1000 wrote:

No the requirement were different.  Under new deal coming in 2022.  The new requirements are sick and ridiculous. You go figure.  

I figure you're wrong.

The requirements are the same, no "new deal".

There is, however, one difference: You'll have to pay your taxes if you owe any, which I suspect will indeed be a different experience for you.

Message 40 of 54
latest reply

@tguitar_123 wrote:

I have been selling since 2009. We wrapped it up also after the $600 sham. Now we just do CL or FB. Things move pretty fast on Marketplace. We didn't elect Biden. He has been a disaster for almost 50 years.  Anyone with a working brain didn't vote for him. His whole administration is corrupt.  At least their feelings won't get hurt by a tweet. It's so much better now  paying big bucks for gas, food, energy, ect. Lol

This change occurred when the orange grifter was in charge. 

Message 41 of 54
latest reply

@tools* wrote:

@tguitar_123 wrote:

I have been selling since 2009. We wrapped it up also after the $600 sham. Now we just do CL or FB. Things move pretty fast on Marketplace. We didn't elect Biden. He has been a disaster for almost 50 years.  Anyone with a working brain didn't vote for him. His whole administration is corrupt.  At least their feelings won't get hurt by a tweet. It's so much better now  paying big bucks for gas, food, energy, ect. Lol

This change occurred when the orange grifter was in charge. 

So he was still the president in March of 2021? Don't give the Qanon crew any fuel for the fire please.

Message 42 of 54
latest reply

You may want to take a look at the 16th amendment which states:

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration." The amendment was ratified in 1913, clearing the legal hurdles to an income tax. The legislation was again taken up in front of the Supreme Court. On January 24, 1916, the court ruled that income taxes were legal.

There is some potential irony in the fact that those that complain about paying taxes don't seem to have a problem using government provided services like: the national highway system, rail and air travel (the FAA is paid for out of the federal budget), national parks, CDC, national security, Medicare, Medicaid, educational system(s), etc. 

Every country in the world has some form of taxes on it's population it just differs on how it is collected or levied. A government cannot operate without revenue anymore than any other type of business. 

Message 43 of 54
latest reply

Hey smart tail.  I just hate the fact I am now going to have to raise my prices again. Another %20 because of a feeble demented government.  Maybe you should say boo hoo to everyone that wants a easy fire at a reasonable price.  It really is no skin off my back will just ? stay or go.  But if I stay after 1 Jan. or to I reach the so called $600 profit that is more like $100 profit after all I pay to do the deal.  Then the buyer will be be paying $ 16.99 for 1 lb.  of fatwood not $13.99. The gripe is not for me its for what the buyers are going to see on here on handmade items.  Because of our government and smart tails like you that have no care.  

Message 44 of 54
latest reply

Not going to spit spat with someone who is not even aware this is going to drive handmade with no receipts out of buyer hands. You go figure owe you owe a apology to every buyer after 1 Jan.  For your support of bad laws. Like My $13.99 listing of fatwood is going to have to go up to $16.99 to give the I.R.S a cut of a item I earn little off of.   Out of the $16.99 I will clear the same about $5.  Is that right you need to keep up to date. I am not going to be ripped off by new stuff.   

Message 45 of 54
latest reply