cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Seller: Listing Suggestions appreciated

New seller here. any suggestions on what I should do to improve my listing (dyson vacuum). i think i've followed everything eBay likes (white backgrounds, clear pictures, good title/specifics/category, competitive price, etc). So far its been listed for almost 3 days, has 3500 impressions and 6 views, but no sales yet. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hello and welcome! I took a look at your Dyson listing.

Well, it has only been three days. What were your expectations? Sometimes an item may sit for months. Other times, an item can sell in hours. There are just so many factors involved.

Your price and shipping are comparable to your competition, so i looked at your seller terms. I see you don’t accept returns, while your competition does. In some cases, they also offer free returns.

You are a new seller with low feedback. That could well be working against you. Ask yourself, why would a buyer choose your listing over one of your competition? Buyers can be leary of new sellers, and since you do not accept returns, you are asking a lot of a buyer, to trust you over someone whose seller terms are more buyer-friendly.

You will have to figure out what will make your listing the most attractive to shoppers. Buyers have many choices, your listing needs to stand out in the crowd.

Good luck and wish you much success here on eBay.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hi again! Below is a link to eBay suggestions for Search Engine Optimization. It may be useful in improving traffic to your listings thru Google, Bing, etc., including Cassini (eBay’s search engine). 

https://export.ebay.com/en/marketing/promote-listings/seo-promotion/

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

thanks for your reply. I'm going to try that to see how it does. I have a whole inventory of them so my plan was to sell at least few per month. Even though my account has been active since 2015, I've only sold few items in that time. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

There are multiple reasons for having a generous return policy. It can give shoppers peace of mind. A buyer may have more confidence in the seller, knowing he stands behind his item. It also assures buyers they will not get stuck with something faulty. A seller’s buyer-centric terms of sale can also improve one’s positioning in Search results. But there is another good reason to offer some kind of buyer-friendly return policy.

Are you familiar with the terms of eBay’s Money Back Guarantee? The policy is a must-read for every seller. In it, nearly any eBay user can invoke the MBG’s buyer protection.

If a buyer opens a Not As Described case, the seller must provide return shipping (if he wants his item back). Sometimes, an unhappy buyer may wish to return an item whose seller does not accept returns. A determined buyer can force a seller to take the item back, whether he wants to or not, for any reason.

All a buyer has to do is invoke the MBG and voila! —the seller is obligated to accept the return, provide return shipping, then refund. Ebay does not require a buyer prove anything, provide evidence of any kind that the item is flawed, damaged or not as described.

So, an unscrupulous buyer can use these terms to get both a complete refund and free shipping to send the item back. Every case counts against a seller’s standing, so it is in the seller’s best interests to minimize the number of cases he may get in a year’s time. Bogus cases can damage a seller’s account as equally as legit cases can .

As a result, offering returns as a preventative measure to avoid these improperly-opened cases from happening, should be something every seller considers.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Be careful selling multiples as a new seller (or infrequent).  Ebay keeps a close eye on sellers who sell high end items of the same.  Make sure you have the receipts to prove you purchased them and that they didn't magically fall of a truck.  Not saying this is your case at all or pointing the finger.  Just stating Ebay watches transactions like these very closely. 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I have four or five ideas for you, but promoted listings are always good for paying eBay just a little more to highlight YOUR items over others’ listings.  Think of it as incentivizing (a little bribe with angel wings) eBay to “help” sell your things.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

More than 500 of what you are selling currently listed. It could take weeks to months to sell, not 3 days. I did not search low to high but if your vacuum is not within the first few pages on the low scale it could even take longer.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@tonec192 wrote:

thanks for your reply. I'm going to try that to see how it does. I have a whole inventory of them so my plan was to sell at least few per month. Even though my account has been active since 2015, I've only sold few items in that time. 

You should be using your own photos, not stock photos.

Stock photos make you look like a dropshipper.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Try setting up your item as a 10 day auction listing starting on Thursday and ending on a Sunday evening. Put your starting bid at the least amount you will except for it and include a buy it now price much higher than your current 'buy it now' price. Include a shipping price and always accept returns for protection. The new ebay algorithm is front running "product forward" sellers, so building momentum for analytics on that item will bring in more future buyers for your item, and will give you more potential to sell multiples if drop shipping.

If you are drop shipping one item multiple times, remember everyone who lists a very long 'set and forget' buy it now price is stalled on sales. Auctions seem to be the main technique to keep selling momentum going.

Just a quick thought. Have a good day and best of luck

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@tonec192 wrote:

New seller here. any suggestions on what I should do to improve my listing (dyson vacuum). i think i've followed everything eBay likes (white backgrounds, clear pictures, good title/specifics/category, competitive price, etc). So far its been listed for almost 3 days, has 3500 impressions and 6 views, but no sales yet. 

You are a relatively new seller with low feedback offering "more than 10" brand new $300+ appliances alongside what are essentially discount store items.

Fair or not, that combination whispers to me "Maybe these are knock-offs?"

I think both your quantity and your other items may be working against you. 

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Others have already covered some basic suggestions. While I am not in the market for one of these if I was I did a quick internet search and I can obtain on of these at several local retailers, a number of ecommerce sites and several local forums for anywhere from $50-$100 less than what you are asking and with the local retailers and forums I don't have to worry about shipping damage, any return issues or waiting for the item to arrive. 

You may want to consider diversifying across multiple platforms and forums to sell you item. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I wouldn’t do it. Just a word of advice, I just registered to sell A couple of items on here and I am fighting tooth and nail to even get paid for the first and only thing I have sold. I listed my Roberto coin gold ring and I received a pretty fair offer so I accepted it. I shipped the same day (maybe 2 hours after payment confirmed) and paid for 2 day fed ex shipping out of the funds. They lied to me and said that the new seller hold would only be applied until

the buyer received and accepted the Item but 2 days after the sale, the buyer did just that, received and accepted the item and I was excited to see the funds had changed to “available”. 

Then the scam kicked in. When trying to research why it was saying no payout scheduled, I contacted an “agent”.

she said I’d get paid on Monday. So okay that’s 6 days after the confirmed payment and 4 after the delivery but whatever I waited. 

-Then on Monday still the same thing showed.. no hold just my available funds (690$) but still no payout. I called again and this time the guy said sorry but we were making sure the buyer was happy and your payout is on Wednesday at 3 am (5/18). 

Again I was frustrated but I waited. Yesterday, STILL NO PAYOUT. Upset I called again. The woman was very apologetic and said well.. looks like your under a “performance review “ which means they’re looking into your account and making sure everything is good and not fraudulent.. what a joke. I gave them all my info, as requested, have had an account over 2 years, spent thousands as a buyer buy now they hold my money to make sure I’m not doing fraud ? 

- she stated she was 1000% sure that the review would end yesterday and I’d be paid.. but here we are.. 24 hours past and still under “review” since 5/12 .. so 9th day since payment and full entire week since accepted delivery and review. 

Went on here and read the thousands of complaints and horror stories of eBay keeping their money forever and not giving the seller anything for their thousands of dollars worth of items. 

THEY ARE RUNNING A SELECTIVE SCAM ON SELLERS. It’s not speculation it’s a FACT. Look on here at how many people they have cheated and kept their entire payout or held it for weeks and months and either didn’t payout or paid out a small Tiny portion after making the seller jump thru 1000 hoops. It’s crazy they are getting away with this. It’s theft and open selective scamming. And it happens every day to tons of people. 

they call it this “performance review” in which they hold your money for “5” entire business days to …..? No one knows at their customer service. I’ve asked 5 different agents. 

not a single one has been able to explain how or why it takes 5 business days to review ONE SALE that went perfectly with zero issues or complaints. 

DONT SELL ON THIS PLAT FORM ANYONE. 

I BET THEY BURY THIS COMMENT . 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@mill_6724 wrote:

I wouldn’t do it. Just a word of advice, I just registered to sell A couple of items on here and I am fighting tooth and nail to even get paid for the first and only thing I have sold. I listed my Roberto coin gold ring and I received a pretty fair offer so I accepted it. I shipped the same day (maybe 2 hours after payment confirmed) and paid for 2 day fed ex shipping out of the funds. They lied to me and said that the new seller hold would only be applied until

the buyer received and accepted the Item but 2 days after the sale, the buyer did just that, received and accepted the item and I was excited to see the funds had changed to “available”. 

Then the scam kicked in. When trying to research why it was saying no payout scheduled, I contacted an “agent”.

she said I’d get paid on Monday. So okay that’s 6 days after the confirmed payment and 4 after the delivery but whatever I waited. 

-Then on Monday still the same thing showed.. no hold just my available funds (690$) but still no payout. I called again and this time the guy said sorry but we were making sure the buyer was happy and your payout is on Wednesday at 3 am (5/18). 

Again I was frustrated but I waited. Yesterday, STILL NO PAYOUT. Upset I called again. The woman was very apologetic and said well.. looks like your under a “performance review “ which means they’re looking into your account and making sure everything is good and not fraudulent.. what a joke. I gave them all my info, as requested, have had an account over 2 years, spent thousands as a buyer buy now they hold my money to make sure I’m not doing fraud ? 

- she stated she was 1000% sure that the review would end yesterday and I’d be paid.. but here we are.. 24 hours past and still under “review” since 5/12 .. so 9th day since payment and full entire week since accepted delivery and review. 

Went on here and read the thousands of complaints and horror stories of eBay keeping their money forever and not giving the seller anything for their thousands of dollars worth of items. 

THEY ARE RUNNING A SELECTIVE SCAM ON SELLERS. It’s not speculation it’s a FACT. Look on here at how many people they have cheated and kept their entire payout or held it for weeks and months and either didn’t payout or paid out a small Tiny portion after making the seller jump thru 1000 hoops. It’s crazy they are getting away with this. It’s theft and open selective scamming. And it happens every day to tons of people. 

they call it this “performance review” in which they hold your money for “5” entire business days to …..? No one knows at their customer service. I’ve asked 5 different agents. 

not a single one has been able to explain how or why it takes 5 business days to review ONE SALE that went perfectly with zero issues or complaints. 

DONT SELL ON THIS PLAT FORM ANYONE. 

I BET THEY BURY THIS COMMENT . 

New seller, selling an expensive ring, what could go wrong?

The funds will be held for 30 days before they send them to your checking account.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I've tried promoting my listing but I don't qualify yet. I think I don't have the required amount of sales or account level to be eligible yet.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply