cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New All-Time Low-No Replies Needed

I have reached a new all-time low, one sale in the past 14 days, I know the cheerleaders are going to say it's my fault, my inventory, my this, my that, BLAH BLAH BLAH, & to those I say you are Very Wrong!, This has become a pitiful place to try & conduct your own business under someone else's rule of thumb!, It's really a shame, This is not the ebay I signed up with, promising to Help you build your business, Now they do everything but!, Empty Promises, Comment if you want, I may not comment back, What I do know is when it is time to renew my store,I will not, & In fact I may just shut down completely & box it all up & take a nice long Hiatus from this Maniacal Madness!

Message 1 of 298
latest reply
297 REPLIES 297

Re: New All-Time Low-No Replies Needed

@meme6253 wrote:

It is True, If you bother to listen to the vast majority of us sellers!, Congratulations on being in the Top Elite 1%, Something most of us will probably never achieve despite our best efforts!

I am certainly not one of eBay’s “Top Elite 1%.”

And there are MANY things about eBay that I do not personally like…

BUT…

One can spend one’s time complaining…

Or, one can spend one’s time learning/adapting.

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 106 of 298
latest reply

@conservitvs wrote:

@funfactorychannel wrote:
ebay owes you a stable platform and foot traffic. And whatever feature they want us to  use. they owe  us that it works bug free. Don't let them off the hook as they only a place to list. We pay fees and subscription for at least this basic things.

eBay does not owe us “foot traffic.” eBay cannot not force users online to shop. eBay cannot force users to buy.

What is “unstable” about the platform?

I’ve been using it since 1996. I can recall once or twice when I could not purchase/print a shipping label, and this was because the USPS site was down, not eBay. 

Now, are there things about eBay that I don’t like? Certainly. Many things.

Have I been forced to learn new policies, procedures, listing formats, etc.?

Yes.

But I have adapted over the years. 

Adaptation is key. 

Isn't that the reason we are all here cause ebay  has the foot traffic. If they don't we all be in other platforms that has the foot traffic. So yes, ebay or any platform live and die by the amount of users that come and browse. Whether we get a sale thats another point. but All webplatforms are based on the "foot traffic/DAU"

Message 107 of 298
latest reply

@conservitvs wrote:

ebay owes you a stable platform and foot traffic.

Isn't that the reason we are all here cause ebay  has the foot traffic. If they don't we all be in other platforms that has the foot traffic. So yes, ebay or any platform live and die by the amount of users that come and browse. Whether we get a sale thats another point. but All webplatforms are based on the "foot traffic/DAU"

Yes, of course sellers are here for the foot traffic.

But look what you typed again…

”…ebay owes you a stable platform and foot traffic.”

I was attempting to point out that eBay does not and cannot guarantee sellers a certain level of foot traffic, item views, etc.

We sellers list here and we take our chances.

I have never believed eBay “owes” me foot traffic or views.

Buyers either search for, view, and purchase my items, or they don’t. eBay is not going to convince a buyer, who isn’t interested in anything I have, to look at my stuff and purchase. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 108 of 298
latest reply

@lakefor94  I ran naked for a couple of weeks

eyes.png

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 109 of 298
latest reply

I'm glad you didnt lock into a contract with $350 a month, that is a sigh of relief. I'm not sure where people think you need to pay $350 a month to get access to a phone rep. I pay $28 a month right now and can get a rep on the phone in 10 seconds. I trust nothing this platform says or does.

The economy is in the dumps. The American people got what they voted for.

Message 110 of 298
latest reply

Yep, I have a part time job in a restaurant, while also earning from my work in both media and e-commerce. Anyone who says selling online is not a job is out of touch with reality. Having a Job implies that one works with the intent to earn money. Some people have it in their mind that being self-employed is not a job, which is ridiculous.

I was self-employed in the IT industry for many years until the work dried up and I left the industry. I've operated gaming media on the web for over a decade too, still do, also worked as a journalist, and all this work was done independently. 

Message 111 of 298
latest reply

My point about Mercari is that the fees are drastically lower. There's a lot less headaches I have to deal with selling there too. There's no 30 day returns, buyers have just 3 days to initiate a return.

Mercari also doesn't flip out because a seller cancelled a sale or two. They stay out their sellers way and let them run their business without loads of red tape like we see on ebay.

ebay forces sellers to ship overnight, while Mercari gives their sellers 3 days to ship.

I also don't have to pay for external traffic there, its totally free! Virtually every listing I make shows up in Google shopping free of charge. There's no advertising fees of any kind there, no store subscriptions, listing fees, etc.

Mercari has even paid me to list items for sale. When I first started selling there, Mercari gave discounts on all my sales, and they ate the costs themselves and gave me the proceeds.

Message 112 of 298
latest reply

@dsman71 wrote:

Their policies on feedback also pathetic when they all proven dishonest feedback from a buyer to stay . I really wish there were other places to sell but it would probably be the same, with scammers out there looking to damage people's reputation. eBay has turned their back on many loyal longtime users 😞 

The thing is that this is your opinion and you have every right to have one.  Sometimes buyers see things differently than a seller do, so they voice their opinion of the transaction.  Each side has the right to their opinion and each side has the right to not agree with the other.  

But if the buyer's fb breaks some fb rule, you should be able to get it removed.  But if it doesn't, it will stand.  Ebay doesn't remove them simply because the seller's opinion differs from the buyers.

FYI, you did more harm to your FB page by the response you gave to a couple of feedback than the buyer did in what they posted.  Name calling is never a good idea.  As a buyer, the negs wouldn't bother me much, but your responses would cause me to hit the back button.  These are business transactions not personal.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 113 of 298
latest reply

@sumsum70 wrote:

Quoting a portion of one of your news links:

"In addition to the 1,000 eliminated jobs, or about 9% of full-time employees, eBay is scaling back the number of contracts it has with its alternate workforce over the coming months."

"Contracts it has with its alternative workforce" has a high likelihood of being outsourced CS. So in reality, it is quite possible eBay got rid of more than 1000 customer service people.

Some yes, but then they also have contracts for engineers, programmers, developers, web designers and more.  To try to frame it as a loss of CSRs only is meant to cause undue concern and upset to others not to mention it isn't true.

Message 114 of 298
latest reply

ebay owes you a stable platform and foot traffic.

eBay doesn't owe you foot traffic any more than renting a store in the middle of Main Street owes you foot traffic. That's something YOU need to bring in for yourself through your presentation, your stock, and your pricing.

As an example, my friend runs a B&M store. It's not in the best location-- it's hard to see from the street, the parking situation isn't great, and it's kind of sandwiched in between a couple of larger and more obvious stores. He gets a ton of foot traffic anyway because he prices well, he's knowledgeable about what he sells and has a good selection, and he curates his stock of inventory so that he ISN'T selling the same old stuff as every other store of that type.

Meanwhile, someone could open a store in what would be considered an ideal location and not get any foot traffic because they failed at all of those things.

Message 115 of 298
latest reply

@conservitvs wrote:

@meme6253 wrote:

It is True, If you bother to listen to the vast majority of us sellers!, Congratulations on being in the Top Elite 1%, Something most of us will probably never achieve despite our best efforts!

I am certainly not one of eBay’s “Top Elite 1%.”

And there are MANY things about eBay that I do not personally like…

BUT…

One can spend one’s time complaining…

Or, one can spend one’s time learning/adapting.

@conservitvs 

Something to understand about all of this.  What the poster was attempting to do is throw shade on you and make it appear that others should just ignore what you have said.  This often happens when the other poster doesn't agree with what you have said.  

Some other posters have less of a command of a vocabulary and can only think of name calling instead of taking the opportunity of having a civil conversation with someone that sees things differently, which they just might learn from.

I have learned much over having a civil debate with others on the threads over the years.  Some just don't care to learn more, they are comfortable in their own knowledge and don't feel they need to learn anything else.

Message 116 of 298
latest reply

Some yes, but then they also have contracts for engineers, programmers, developers, web designers and more.  To try to frame it as a loss of CSRs only is meant to cause undue concern and upset to others not to mention it isn't true.

Unless eBay puts out a list of everyone shown the door, employees and contractors alike, it is all speculation. Based on my own experiences, eBay has used almost every means possible to eliminate human CSR interactions by automating the communication of "you lose, not sorry, goodbye".

Message 117 of 298
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Yep, I have a part time job in a restaurant, while also earning from my work in both media and e-commerce. Anyone who says selling online is not a job is out of touch with reality. Having a Job implies that one works with the intent to earn money. Some people have it in their mind that being self-employed is not a job, which is ridiculous.

I was self-employed in the IT industry for many years until the work dried up and I left the industry. I've operated gaming media on the web for over a decade too, still do, also worked as a journalist, and all this work was done independently. 

OMG you hit the nail on the head.  The lack of respect given to the hard work of sellers from both people that are sellers themselves to those around you in your personal life.

Not so long ago my SIL was over for a visit.  I deeply love that woman.  We were just sitting around having a good conversation and the subject of cars came up [I had recently got a new one] and she said to me that she thought it was terrific that Alfred [not my husband's real name] bought me a car!!  

I about went through the ceiling.  She knows that I have my own little business that generates money.  I was furious but of course didn't let her see that.  I simply said that Alfred did not buy me a car, I bought me a car.  The look on her face was shear shock.

People often dismiss online sellers as actually having a job much less actually making money.

Message 118 of 298
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

ebay forces sellers to ship overnight, while Mercari gives their sellers 3 days to ship.

Since when?

Message 119 of 298
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

My point about Mercari is that the fees are drastically lower. There's a lot less headaches I have to deal with selling there too. There's no 30 day returns, buyers have just 3 days to initiate a return.

Mercari also doesn't flip out because a seller cancelled a sale or two. They stay out their sellers way and let them run their business without loads of red tape like we see on ebay.

I also don't have to pay for external traffic there, its totally free! Virtually every listing I make shows up in Google shopping free of charge. There's no advertising fees of any kind there, no store subscriptions, listing fees, etc.

Mercari has even paid me to list items for sale. When I first started selling there, Mercari gave discounts on all my sales, and they ate the costs themselves and gave me the proceeds.

But they aren't.  You have to compare the same fees with each other.  You want to compare Ebay fees that most sellers don't even use [promoted listings] to inflate the costs for an Ebay seller which isn't a fair comparison.  Mercari is about 10% FVF and 2.9% money processing = 12.9% plus a 50 cent per transaction fee.

The majority of Ebay categories have a 13.25% fee and a 30 or 40 cent per transaction fee.

I've been here for over a couple of decades and Ebay has never made me "ebay forces sellers to ship overnight..."  Not one single time.

Message 120 of 298
latest reply