cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on buyer. Tracking shows delivered. Buyer says not delivered.

Tracking shows package was delivered into a parcel locker.  She opened an item not received saying this:

Item was marked as delivered but I did not receive a key to a parcel bin nor was it in my own bin. I told her to go to the post office to file a claim as package is insured, and to ask for specific GPS coordinates on package delivery. She has done neither. She wants me to directly reimburse her.  eBay says to settle this by May 19th. It is settled. All she has to do is file a claim. And claim insurance. I was told there is no paperwork to file on my end.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@4_babs wrote:

Tracking shows package was delivered into a parcel locker.  She opened an item not received saying this:

Item was marked as delivered but I did not receive a key to a parcel bin nor was it in my own bin. I told her to go to the post office to file a claim as package is insured, and to ask for specific GPS coordinates on package delivery. She has done neither. She wants me to directly reimburse her.  eBay says to settle this by May 19th. It is settled. All she has to do is file a claim. And claim insurance. I was told there is no paperwork to file on my end.

You will need to file a missing parcel claim with USPS, not your Buyer.  It is probably being held behind the counter vs the lock box bin.  Happens all the time when the bin is full and parcel is too big for their personal PO box - only so many locked bins.

Call the PO, give them the tracking and ask them where the parcel is. 

It is your job as a Seller to assist your Buyer. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

So if it is lost, I will file for insurance. ?Will funds be sent to her directly? Or do I get the insurance funds, then send it to her?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If tracking shows delivered, put the tracking number in the case. Do not wait.

Once it shows delivered by USPS the seller does not have to refund. 

USPS will not refund you or the buyer. Item shows delivered.  

You can help your buyer by calling the PO and trying to find out if they have it.

The buyer needs to check with the PO and have the PO look for the item.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Insurance won't pay out if it shows delivered.

In my experience almost every buyer I have ever had make such a claim on me had a history of making the same claim with other sellers. As the first thing I do after the usual "Check the neighbors, ask the post office counter" message is to message other sellers who left them feedback to ask if they happened to file any item not received claims. 

Your mileage may vary, I sell unnecessary collectible things that can attract a younger, more dishonest crowd. If it was a toaster I would be apt to believe the buyer without question, if it was a Pokemon card I would be extremely suspicious. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

It is not lost if tracking shows delivered. You have nothing to do with the buyers postal locker key.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@klhmdg wrote:

If tracking shows delivered, put the tracking number in the case. Do not wait.

Once it shows delivered by USPS the seller does not have to refund. 

USPS will not refund you or the buyer. Item shows delivered.  

You can help your buyer by calling the PO and trying to find out if they have it.

The buyer needs to check with the PO and have the PO look for the item.

This ^^

If your customer filed a item not received case IMMEDIATELY respond to the case,

just something short like "tracking shows it was delivered on _____" and don't forget to add the tracking number. If the tracking shows it was "delivered" you will not be held responsible.

Chances are the package will show up.  I wouldn't worry too much. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

You need to enter the tracking information into the eBay case now (even if eBay already has it elsewhere).  If the tracking number is entered in the eBay case and tracking shows delivered, you should win the case.

The responsibility is with the buyer to contact the USPS and see what they did with the package if it wasn't delivered correctly. 

As far as any claims go, the USPS will not pay on items that were delivered. A claim for a missing package with USPS will be denied because tracking shows it was delivered. eBay will back the seller for the same reason.

The buyer needs to go to the USPS/Parcel Locker and insist it was never delivered and demand an answer as to why the package was marked delivered if it was never placed in the Parcel Locker and inquire if an investigation can be started as to where is the package.

Most likely USPS/Parcel Locker will claim it was delivered and that the buyer (or someone the buyer authorized) took the package.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@onefootflipper wrote:

In my experience almost every buyer I have ever had make such a claim on me had a history of making the same claim with other sellers. As the first thing I do after the usual "Check the neighbors, ask the post office counter" message is to message other sellers who left them feedback to ask if they happened to file any item not received claims. 

Interesting.  In my experience 99% of my buyers are telling the truth & it was simply misdelivered & typically shows up in a day or two.  

OP, there are numerous misdelivered situations & also sometimes USPS scans them delivered ahead of time.   Of course, tell them to check with neighbors, etc.  But all you have to do is enter the tracking number into the case showing delivered & you will be off the hook.  You will win the case.  It's the only case type that sellers do win.  

It's still nice to help the buyer, as she likely IS telling the truth.  You can call her PO or open a missing mail case online.  They can track GPS coordinates for delivery, which can be helpful if it was delivered to the wrong house.  It's less helpful in the case of cluster boxes, which it sounds like is what your buyer has.   Items get put into the wrong cluster boxes (or the wrong keys are left) ALL THE TIME.  GPS doesn't really help much with those, but generally a neighbor got it.  Also, if she can wrangle her carrier, they can open the entire cluster at once & see if it's still sitting in a different delivery box. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

She has done neither. She wants me to directly reimburse her.

Given this, I would do nothing further than to make sure you've input tracking in the case.  You're not in charge of her key or her locker, and beyond suggesting what to do (a package that is shown 'delivered' does not qualify for insurance), I would not start calling looking for her parcel for her*.  I would not "directly" reimburse her.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

@onefootflipper wrote:

Interesting.  In my experience 99% of my buyers are telling the truth & it was simply misdelivered & typically shows up in a day or two.  

It is the difference in the type of product we sell. You seem to specialize in women's clothing, which I bet is high return, but extremely low scam.  I just don't see anyone sitting at home concocting a scheme to get a free blouse.  I specialize in trading cards, 90 percent Magic the Gathering and Pokemon, which attracts young men many of them teenagers or even tweens using their parent's credit card or a Visa gift card or something similar.  I also slightly misspoke, I really only ask other sellers about the customer if I have any reason to believe their claim is suspect. 

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Provide tracking on the claim.  Contact eBay.  They will close in your favor.  DO NOT REIMBURSE THEM

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@4_babs wrote:

So if it is lost, I will file for insurance. ?Will funds be sent to her directly? Or do I get the insurance funds, then send it to her?

The refund if any from USPS will go to the person who opened the claim. If you open the claim I think you can request the refund go to the recipient but it's not the default.

You would not want it to go to the recipient because you cannot tell the buyer that you are filing a claim and will refund when it's settled,  they want the refund now!

Most of the time the situation you have resolves itself, if they are unwilling to make the inquiries you could take the time to contact their local PO.

Almost always it's a case of the package being left next door, hidden in a safe location or delivered to another resident at the address who forgets to inform the actual addressee.

So cover yourself in the claim by adding the tracking (even it's already there) then be helpful with the buyer and hope you get the common "I found it" message.

Some think that means it's a failed scam but real scammers know better than to make a claim they know they will lose.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply