cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO SALES! OVER ONE THOUSAND ITEMS LISTED, MOST ITEMS HAVE FREE SHIPPING?

I sell coins, tokens and collectibles.  In the past year my sales have dropped by 30% over previous year.  They are on the way to drop way below that level.  I have placed many items on sale for 20% off.  I have revised my listings and now offer free shipping to more than 90% of my items.  I have always offered low shipping costs and combined shipping.  I have had many satisfied customers over the years.  I know many other sellers are experiencing the same sales dips, when will EBAY start helping the sellers?  I think EBAY would make more profits by going back on earlier selling platforms.  There will be less sellers offering coins, tokens and collectibles in the future if this continues.  NO sales is becoming the new norm!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I am more of a Free Thinker - Not so into into the mass Hate that the 'News' puts out daily...so please spare me the political **bleep**.

And I never complained about lack of sales, just the way that eBay treats the Sellers..

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

I have had many auctions in the past just as you recommended.  I sold many things for 99 cents + and always offered combined shipping.   I may list some more auctions in the future.  Thank you for your suggestion.

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Oh boy, you're selling items for less than what it costs to ship them. After looking at your listings, I quickly found a cigar box for $3.20 and free shipping? It would probably cost you more to sell and ship this item than what you're selling it for.

You have another listing for $2.60? Face palm. There's no rhyme or reason in selling something to make 10 cents, nor to sell something for less than what it costs to ship it. Having a few good deals here and there does help to attract attention to ones listings, but these prices are ridiculous.

Here you're selling a lot of coins, paper currency, collectible tokens, etc. If its not selling, then its time to change things up and diversify your inventory with different items.

I've sold thousands of dollars of vintage stuff on ebay no problem. Vintage stuff sells! Just not coins and cigar boxes. Old cameras sell like hot cakes! Another good seller is vintage/stone ashtrays.

You should sell items that people are likely to search for on the open web (ebay, Google search, etc). After listing those items for sale, share them onto social media. Google does crawl social networks and follow the links upon them. Those items are then indexed into Google's search results, and when someone searches for an item you're selling, you now have another source of buyers and traffic.

I was getting thousands of views a day on my video game listings just from Google search, not including any traffic on ebay.

If you don't have a social presence outside of ebay, I would create one. Here's why - wouldn't it be easier to make a sale if you had more traffic to your listings, and more potential buyers as a result?

For instance, my 2 largest twitter accounts collectively have close to 20,000 followers. I recently started selling games again, and besides the traffic on ebay, I have 20,000 more people to market my goods to anytime I feel like it. One of those accounts is purely about video games, and here I sell games myself.

Liekwise, I have a gaming channel on YouTube that gets tens of thousands of views a month, and I can advertise there any time I feel like it as well.

On Google+, I have close to 1,000,000 community members and followers across all my brands (which I'm about to lose because Google is closing the platform soon). But I will just build  more social profiles elsewhere and get 2 million more people.

I just started selling game again here, and within the following weeks I will start marketing those games out to tens of thousands of people outside of Ebay.

In fact, another ebay seller still-luv-nes has been using my gaming related social profiles (with my permission) for years to help sell his games here.

Either way, you need to find new products that people actually want.

Another thing I learned about sharing items for sale on social media is the fact that ebay seems to assume these items are important for some reason simply because they were shared, and they will often boost your visibility higher as a result.

All being said, if you want to make money, then sell items that cost more money, and build a social audience to help gain more traction with sales.

I have well over 1,200 video games I'm in the process of listing now, with a resale value of thousands more. I will sell all of them. I sell games because people love them, and they will buy them! I also make a good profit on them. I've sold games here on ebay for $50 that I paid $2 for. For now, I'm just listing, then next month I will hammer social media with video games for sale.

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

What you really need to do is start selling those tokens in LOTS of 10 or so. Start them at auction for $9.99 with free shipping and let buyers decide the cost. Most likely you' ll only get one bid on most. A few lots may go higher. You are only making around $1 each anyway. Quantity does not always result in more sells as many people think. Listing 1,000 items sometimes is not better than listing 100 lots.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

I just had my absolute best december ever and didnt even get up and selling until the week before xmas selling toys / collectibles. I ve done over $10k selling Funko Pops in just under 4 weeks, in spite of a mob of chinese duplicate listings from obviously bogus accounts. I can only imagine what myself and other legit sellers would have done without those listings crowding things.

I had expected to do decent with Toys r us now shuttered but this exceeded my expectations.

I discovered creating listings with variations has dramatically increased the views and sales this year. I dont know if thats an option in your categories but if it is you might explore it. That format for me gets far greater exposure than individual listings. Look into it, it might help!

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

I sell coins, tokens and collectibles.  

I suspect that the average age of stamp and coin collectors has gone up by 5 years ... in the last 5 years. 

On the other hand, the poster selling Funko Pops says he is having a banner year and I am not surprised. I have three children 18-29 and five of them showed up at my house on Christmas. No coins or tokens first day covers, though.  

My day job is as a software engineer, and every employee under 30 in my company has a STACK of those Funko Pops sitting on his desk. A couple of them even have them shipped directly to the office. 

A wander through the buyer board will show that buyers are not having trouble finding items. Every time a seller posts here that no one can find their items or that sales have dried up, I try searching a few of their items in Best Match and then sort by Lowest Price. The seller's items always turn up in Best Match, and almost always move further down when I switch to Lowest Price. 

Specifics hints? First day covers are commonly abbreviated as FDC and also include the Scott catalog number in the title. Also, the FDC's you have on offer are about 5 times the going rate. You can generally get the full set of 10 for the price you are asking for just one cover. 

Message 21 of 21
latest reply