cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost sales due to counter offer

This needs to be changed I have lost a few sales due to this after a buyer sends an offer, I can counter offer or accept the offer, If I choose to counteroffer and the buyer does not respond within 24 hours to the offer with either another counter offer to my offer then my counter offer expired but I don't have a choice to retract my counter offer to get back to the original offer the buyer sent me as if I retract it then original offer the buyer put up wont be visible anymore even if its still within the 24 hour time limit on the offer.  So if someone was to offer me 12 on a 15 dollar item I counter with 13.50 and 22 hours pass I still want to go back to the original offer price the buyer first put but if I retract my offer of 13.50 I will not be able to see the 12 dollar offer anymore this should be fixed I don't see a reason why I shouldn't be able to do this.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I've had cases such as you describe and in some instances, the buyer counters my counteroffer with either the same previous offer or a slightly higher one. 

When you counter an offer, it's the equivalent of declining the original offer and you are correct; you can't go back an accept the offer you rejected. 

If the buyer really wants the item, they'll make another offer. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

That sounds a lot like playing games in my opinion. If $12 is good enough to accept then you should accept it and not try to see if you can get the person to go higher by haggling. When you do that they end up holding all the cards as you've found out. I'm not by any means saying you should accept $12, but if you're willing to after you realize you're likely going to be the loser in the game; then you might want to reconsider your tactics.

A long time ago I used to play the back and forth game with sellers until I grew bored of it. Back in the day I might offer $50 on a $65 item and they counter with $62... then I offer $53... then they offer $61... then I counter with $55... you get the point. These days I would offer $55 on that $65 item and if they don't want it that's fine by me because I'm not going back and forth. Once the ball is back in my court I'm done and will let the offer expire, or if I'm in the mood I'll hit decline. 

What you want eBay to do is give you the option to backtrack, but remember, the buyer is still holding all the cards and may have lost interest in the item so you still miss out on a sell you could have had.   

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@topmediasupplydeals wrote:

This needs to be changed I have lost a few sales due to this after a buyer sends an offer, I can counter offer or accept the offer

If I choose to counteroffer and the buyer does not respond 

Whenever you choose to counter offer, I walk away: It was my BEST offer.

teth_1615_0-1714109192847.jpeg

eBay notices that I left, and sends a reminder. But sorry I won't be back, as I've either found another deal, or took it as a sign that I don't need it right now.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply