cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit each buyer to buy only 1 pc

I want to make a listing of multiple pcs of one item. But I want to make sure that each buyer can only get 1 to minimize potential for scams. Is there any way to do that?

I know I can block buyers that have bought something from me within the last 10 days but in order to do that, I'd have to always list just one piece individually, right? And it would also block users who have bought something else from me.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Why not focus that effort on simply selling to whoever wants to buy instead of going to great lengths to try to prevent some unspecified scam that someone somewhere may possibly but likely not get the notion to try to pull?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Are these new or used? If they are used then you should be listing them seaparately anyway with photos showing the exact used item the buyer will receive. Then you can use your buying limit counter to restrict the number of purchases. 

But the reality is that there are way more scammers out there than the number of items you are selling so i would just treat each one as a separate big-ticket scam target. List each as a Buyitnow with Immediate payment required. Then hope that the buyer doesnt claim shipping damage or Empty box or that kind of thing.

PS - i first wrote this thinking that you were talking about computers ('pcs') but now i guess you just mean 'pieces' instead? Anyway - if they are high-value items then my comments stand. If they are low-cost then I wouldnt worry about it.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

These are new items, rare and in demand so I'm worried someone might want to grab my entire stock 'for free' and resell the stuff themsevles.

Limiting to just 1 pc per buyer would make that risk smaller I believe, even though it's true that if someone is determined, they could get eveyrhing anyway, and then even mess up my rating even more.

Yea I guess I'll just have to list one at a time, after the previous one has already been purchased (or preferably delivered).

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

OR if they are in fact "high demand" list them all as 'duplicate' auctions - when your first auction has a bid the second will show up and so on.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
OR if they are in fact "high demand" list them all as 'duplicate' auctions - when your first auction has a bid the second will show up and so on.

How does that work? It seems like having an increasing number of duplicate, simultaneous auctions running would just dilute the bidding pool. I would wait for the first auction to end, then start a Sell Similar auction a few days later, and so on.

Don't let on that you have more available. If bidding is unusually lively over any one item, then quietly send out Second Chance Offers to the second and/or third-place bidders to see if you can cash in with them as well before listing the next instance.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@goodoldalex wrote:

I want to make a listing of multiple pcs of one item. But I want to make sure that each buyer can only get 1 to minimize potential for scams. Is there any way to do that?

I know I can block buyers that have bought something from me within the last 10 days but in order to do that, I'd have to always list just one piece individually, right? And it would also block users who have bought something else from me.

Thanks.

You can block them for buying an item for 10 days. Then they can buy another after, look almost all the way at the bottom of the following:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

Buyers who may bid on several of my items and not pay for them
Block buyers who are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days.   Only apply this block to buyers who have a feedback score of 5 or lower.

Consider selecting this requirement if you are selling expensive items and don't want to sell over a certain number to any single buyer. Learn more about how this requirement works.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

"I want to make a listing of multiple pcs of one item. But I want to make sure that each buyer can only get 1 to minimize potential for scams. Is there any way to do that?"

My logic isn't what it used to be just yesterday (Cinco de Mayo you know), and you can correct me if I'm off base, but.........

If you have 10 items and one buyer, or 10 items and 10 buyers, which scenerio has the better chance of seeing a scammer, or 2, or 7....?

Sorta along the lines of the 2 trains going in opposite directions........

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@megadestroyers wrote:

If you have 10 items and one buyer, or 10 items and 10 buyers, which scenerio has the better chance of seeing a scammer, or 2, or 7....?

I think the next Ask Marilyn column is practically writing itself here... Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@pantlandia wrote:

You can block them for buying an item for 10 days. Then they can buy another after, look almost all the way at the bottom of the following:

I know that, but does that prevent one user to buy multiple items in one auction?

I'll be using buy it now format btw.

@megadestroyers wrote:

Well yes, if I have 10 buyers there'sa  bigger chance there's a scammer among them and I can lose money for one item (or a couple). But if I let one buyer get everything, I risk losing all the items. So it seems more reasonable to me.

Oh well never mind, I'll just list them separately. Thanks guys.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply