cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyword search on Title Only Results in Items with Keyword not in Title

I noticed that if I search for "Lowes coupon" that usually eBay shows 4 listings that usually don't have coupon in the title.  How do these listings get in the results without "coupon" in their title.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Search keywords match words in the item title or item specifics.

For that search, an item with Lowes in the title found in the Coupon category would be considered a match. In those cases, eBay may use one of the keywords to select a category, and use the other keyword(s) to match items within that category. So a search for Harry Potter dvd would match any item in the dvd category with Harry Potter in the title, even if dvd does not appear there at all.

In some cases, eBay will match keywords to other words that are considered synonymous with the search keywords. eBay may also provide near matches like low coupon. If there are few results matching a search, eBay may provide some results that match fewer terms after the other matches, designated with this banner:

eburtonlab_0-1632709388623.png

If a particular search term results in few results, but a keyword that differs by a letter or two results in many search results, eBay may provide results for the term that produces more results. This can be helpful when a keyword is misspelled:

eburtonlab_1-1632709937285.png

If you actually wanted to search for the original term, the highlighted term is a link to the original search with zero results, in case you want to save that search.

If you only want exact matches of your actual search terms, try putting one of your search terms in quotes, and eBay will search for the literal term with no substitutions or category limitations:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=%22lowes%22+coupon&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@bri4jenn wrote:

I noticed that if I search for "Lowes coupon" that usually eBay shows 4 listings that usually don't have coupon in the title.  How do these listings get in the results without "coupon" in their title.

Searches can also match the category name or the item specifics. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you.  This was very helpful in understanding this.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You are very welcome. Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply