cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Items I sold were damaged prior to shipping

Hello All,

I recently sold six record albums to a single buyer, but they were damaged in my home when I had a water leak ruin the albums sold and others not listed. The buyer has not yet paid for the items. Can they leave negative feedback if I cancel the sale ?

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

@onedollarnosense wrote:

Hello All,

I recently sold six record albums to a single buyer, but they were damaged in my home when I had a water leak ruin the albums sold and others not listed. The buyer has not yet paid for the items. Can they leave negative feedback if I cancel the sale ?

They can leave negative feedback regardless if you cancel or not.

In any event you really don't have any options, you sold something you can't ship because it's damaged. I suppose you could just wait to see if the buyer pays but if they do they will be even more annoyed that you have to cancel after they pay rather than before.

Message 2 of 61
latest reply

We’re they in a single listing or 6 different ones?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 61
latest reply

You should contact your buyer and tell them what happened. You can then suggest that they can cancel the sale (because they won't want damaged items) in which case You can cancel the sale with " Buyer Request Cancellation".
No money exchange, no PayPal fee, FVF returned, and you won't get a strike on your seller metrics.

Message 4 of 61
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* wrote:

You should contact your buyer and tell them what happened. You can then suggest that they can cancel the sale (because they won't want damaged items) in which case You can cancel the sale with " Buyer Request Cancellation".
No money exchange, no PayPal fee, FVF returned, and you won't get a strike on your seller metrics.

Sure lie to the buyer and then lie to eBay.

eBay might have only one option, to make ANY cancellation, even one actually requested by a buyer, worthy of a mega-defect.

Message 5 of 61
latest reply

Where did I say to LIE to the buyer ? I said to "contact the buyer and tell them what happened" then they can ask the buyer if they still want the items. If the buyer wants the items then ship. If buyer doesn't want the damaged items then they can cancel at buyers request.

NEVER did I say to lie.

Message 6 of 61
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

eBay might have only one option, to make ANY cancellation, even one actually requested by a buyer, worthy of a mega-defect.

I don't see the lies either. Why do you want sellers to have "mega-defects"? 

What's wrong with being human and making a mistake? The seller didn't get the albums wet on purpose after all.

Buyers can cancel pretty much without penalty. So why is ebay and some posters hell-bent on punishing sellers for the same behavior? Aren't sellers humans too? 

Message 7 of 61
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

I don't see the lies either. Why do you want sellers to have "mega-defects"? 

What's wrong with being human and making a mistake? The seller didn't get the albums wet on purpose after all.

Buyers can cancel pretty much without penalty. So why is ebay and some posters hell-bent on punishing sellers for the same behavior? Aren't sellers humans too? 

No No, not all sellers sellers are humanz, I am a robot.

Message 8 of 61
latest reply

@gwens*4saleitems* 

Great advice, lie to manipulate the system for your own benefit.

... remember when EBay didn’t charge FVF on shipping? Connect the dots.

Message 9 of 61
latest reply

Oh, come on. That’s manipulating the system and not what “buyers request” was intended to handle.

The proximate cause (that’s an actual legal term - look it up) is that seller listed and sold items that are (unintentionally) unsaleable, which earns a rightful demerit.

It’s called personal responsibility.

Message 10 of 61
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet 

No, they are retailers. Businesses.

Goofing that up spoils the buying experience. 

We need more more reasons to drive away buyers and tarnish the site’s reputation?

Message 11 of 61
latest reply

I think you're BOTH right.

Some sellers would cancel the sale bcause of the damage and take the defect.

Some sellers would check with the buyer, explain about the damage and ask if they still want them. if the answer is NO, technically the buyer could then request to cancel the transaction. Kind of a "loophole" but i don't see it as cheating or lieing. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 61
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet 

No, they are retailers. Businesses.

Goofing that up spoils the buying experience. 

We need more more reasons to drive away buyers and tarnish the site’s reputation?

No? They are not human? Hmm...can you point me to any such sellers that are not humans, who make errors, just like EBAY DOES! ha! (And lots of them...but I digress....)

I can think up all kinds of things that "goof up" the selling experience.

A seller who makes an error doesn't drive away buyers anymore than hearing this is the place for FREE STUFF tarnishes the reputation...

Fair is fair. 

Message 13 of 61
latest reply

It rings to buyers of scam - seller is lying and got a better price elsewhere.

When will people belly up to the bar and accept the notion that A SUBSTANTIAL PORTION  of onerous changes in EBay policy came about because of bad sellers gaming the system?

Message 14 of 61
latest reply

Can't wait to hear about the policy changes coming because of bad buyers gaming the system!

Oh yeah...we do keep "hearing" about them.

Message 15 of 61
latest reply