cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item was Marked Addressee Unknown

Hello All, 

I would like to ask for some advice on this situation. I sold a graphics card for $720 on the 6th of January. On the 12th of January I shipped the item to the seller via Priority Mail signature required with ShipCover insurance for $720. It was delivered on the 16th to an apartment complex mail room. On the 19th of January then item was marked addressee unknown and it was returned to sender. The item made it back to my city. However since the 22nd of January it has stated preparing for delivery. As of today January 31st the item still has not been delivered back to me and the tracking shows the same update from January 22nd. I informed the buyer about this however I would like to know what I need to do to protect myself as I will be out of a graphics card and the $600 net I made from the sale. I can file a ship insurance claim on February 6th. Am I obligated to refund the buyer before I receive the item or the claim money from insurance? Will ebay force me to refund the buyer? Please advise. Thank you

IMG_0879.jpeg

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You are covered on this one. When a buyer provides an invalid address you are not obligated to refund. Just upload the tracking number to the non-receipt claim if you haven't already.

In 3 days you can ask eBay to step in to get the claim closed in your favor.

After that, if the ShipCover claim pays out, you can choose to send that refund to the buyer.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@diego_2000 

Preparing for delivery means it got as far as your local post office facility, I suggest you contact them to find out if they can uncover it.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Does Shipcover cover the item being lost on the way back to the seller? 

thank you

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I don't know, you would have to read their terms of service or contact them to find out.

https://pages.ebay.com/insurance/shipping/coverage.html#notinsure

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I visited my local post office yesterday as they were holding a signature package that I wasnt home for. I gave the Postmaster the tracking and after 20 minutes they were unsuccessful in finding it. They advised me to put in a claim. However I never bought USPS insurance only ShipCover insurance. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

If the card is one used in crypto mining be prepared for any potential type of fraud including return of a different item.

If you are lucky, the card will arrive eventually. If you are not something else will arrive.

Orders for mining hardware have high fraud potential, and it is common for changes in the value of bitcoin to make buyers rethink their purchases.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@diego_2000 wrote:

I visited my local post office yesterday as they were holding a signature package that I wasnt home for. I gave the Postmaster the tracking and after 20 minutes they were unsuccessful in finding it. They advised me to put in a claim. However I never bought USPS insurance only ShipCover insurance. 

Most USPS services come with $100 included insurance. ShipCover may require you to recover the $100 from USPS before they consider payout out the balance. Check the terms I posted above.

I've never used ShipCover, but I have used other 3rd party insurance that had terms to that effect.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply