cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item already shipped, buyer wants to use a different card to pay?

Not sure what to do here.  FedEx shipment already picked up but it is still in state right now.  Buyer claims they used the wrong card and wants to cancel and re-purchase.  Claims eBay wont let him change method of payment (which is probably true).  No good way to handle that is safe. Buyer might not re-order. If they don't I have to eat shipping and recall costs which is over $50.

The other problem is even if I agree to cancel and re-purchase, eBay probably won't let me re-use the tracking number so buyer can still claim not arrived on the one that already shipped and cancelled.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have some empathy for the buyer's dilemma since they are in a bind. We have all made honest mistakes. They probably have an upcoming recurring monthly payment that will push them over their credit limit on their card.

There is an old saying that goes, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

You have correctly assessed your risk of eating shipping and recall costs with no guarantee the buyer will repurchase.

Managed Payments does not have the Unconditional Ability to send invoices or accept further payments, after the sale.

The best outcome for you would be to accept a payment through Paypal first and after that, issue the refund through eBay to increase your buyer's available credit on their card.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

You're in a difficult spot. I would say let the shipment be delivered & have the buyer open up a return request on their nickel. You will have the delivery scan to the buyer & that will give you ebay seller protection in case they open up a credit card unauthorized usage claim. After the item is returned to you, then they can place a new order with the different credit card.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

A third consideration... can you recall the package? I ask because some of your recent sales are fairly pricey and it might be worth the investment to get it back and sell it properly.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I have some empathy for the buyer's dilemma since they are in a bind. We have all made honest mistakes. They probably have an upcoming recurring monthly payment that will push them over their credit limit on their card.

There is an old saying that goes, "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

You have correctly assessed your risk of eating shipping and recall costs with no guarantee the buyer will repurchase.

Managed Payments does not have the Unconditional Ability to send invoices or accept further payments, after the sale.

The best outcome for you would be to accept a payment through Paypal first and after that, issue the refund through eBay to increase your buyer's available credit on their card.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Once you cancel, the buyer has no incentive to repurchase because they already know that the package is en route.   His emergency is not yours - just tell him no.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@byrons_resale wrote:

Once you cancel, the buyer has no incentive to repurchase because they already know that the package is en route.   His emergency is not yours - just tell him no.

I totally agree.

Sorry, but the answer is NO.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

--OP Here --

Thanks so much for all the help on this.   After reading your responses I contacted the buyer and told them they need to buy another one of the same and pay for it first.  I created a "private" listing for them.  Once they paid for the duplicate listing then I would refund the original.  It looks like that may work out now.  Seems safe enough. Then they have to trust me rather than the other way around.

I think @onlinecentral had a good thought they had a credit card flow issue and that is what the buyer explained to me now.  I think it was honest since they bought the duplicate listing now before I issue any refund.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Not a good idea to cancel since the package is on its way.  

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

So the original one is on its way and you told the buyer to purchase another?

So there is the potential that he will receive the one you already mailed and you plan on sending him another one?

Call me clueless, but what incentive does the buyer have to return the first one?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

For some sellers, Service Metrics are irrelevant and they can operate without being Top Rated.

A repurchase through Managed Payments will not attain a status of shipped, not have a tracking number and result in a ding. You can't reuse a tracking number. There is no Seller Protection against an Item Not Received case, within eBay or later through a credit card.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Normally, yes not a good idea.  But they bought another one first before the cancel. eBay did allow me to re-use the FedEx tracking number on the duplicate listing since it was the same buyer on the same day.   I was worried about that and surprised when it took it.  So now the cancelled order and the new duplicate order both have the same tracking.  I think it will work out fine.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

So the original one is on its way and you told the buyer to purchase another?

So there is the potential that he will receive the one you already mailed and you plan on sending him another one?

Call me clueless, but what incentive does the buyer have to return the first one?

I am not sending another one.  The original order has now been cancelled.  I just wanted to be sure I would get paid once by having them pay with a different card.  The original tracking number was used to satisfy the eBay system that it is shipped, there really was never a second item.  Just 2 orders with one cancelled.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:
I am not sending another one.  The original order has now been cancelled.  I just wanted to be sure I would get paid once by having them pay with a different card.  The original tracking number was used to satisfy the eBay system that it is shipped, there really was never a second item.  Just 2 orders with one cancelled.

So you were able to upload the original tracking number to the second purchase?

Edit - Okay - I see now that you did that. Hopefully it will all work out. I would have advised just telling the buyer no rather than get yourself involved in their messup.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@babclassics wrote:

So you were able to upload the original tracking number to the second purchase?

Edit - Okay - I see now that you did that. Hopefully it will all work out. I would have advised just telling the buyer no rather than get yourself involved in their messup.

Yes I was able to re-use the tracking number.  I would never have completed the orders as I did if they had not allowed it as was warned by several people.  It seems for the same item to same buyer and same day you CAN re-use the number.  Probably for case just like this for cancel and re-order scenarios. 

I ran an experiment - if the system had NOT let me use the tracking on the second order, i would have cancelled the second order and told the buyer too bad, then tried and intercept on original shipment.

But since the system let me re-use the tracking I went ahead and cancelled to first order after i had both orders open.  I would have never let both orders complete.

I am all about customer service so wanted to at least give it a try since I had messages from the buyer saying the approved of this and i wanted to know if it was possible if it even happens again.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@babclassics 

This looks like a rats nest. 

Six months from now, I hope you can look back and say it went well. 
The MBG is so slanted in favor of the buyer, they could do two credit card chargebacks. 
You’re braver than I am. 

And you have no idea if they used a different payment method. They may go to their CC company and say they were charged twice for the same item. 

Yup, it’s a rats nest.  🤞 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply