cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my buyer (0-feedback, "pending payment," courier address) a scammer or clueless novice?

A 0-feedback user just bought two of my fixed-price items (292247474824 and 292247390718).  I was notified by Paypal of a "Pending PayPal Payment": "XXX has initiated a PayPal payment to you - funded from the sender's bank account."  Soon thereafter, the buyer messaged me via EBay one line in Spanish for each item, saying "All ready for you to ship. I've already paid" (according to Google Translate);.  The PayPal sender's email address has a German (.de) domain.  The ship address appears to be a courier/warehouse (2227 NW 79th Ave, DORAL, FL 33198) when I googled it, and it shows up on a couple of iffy small-biz websites that seem to enable people in Latin America to shop online with valid credentials at US websites (see http://www.gboxmall.com/gt/preguntas.php and http://tuscomprasxinternet.com/suscribir.php).

I’ve been on eBay for 16 yrs but buy more than sell.  So, for those who've had more experience with the above sort of scenario, I’d appreciate your input on 3 questions:

1) Is there any chance that this is a legit sale?

2) If not, if I simply cancel the sale, what repercussions might I face (besides negative feedback from a 0-feedback buyer, if they take the time to leave feedback)?

3) Do you think that my listings were more vulnerable to this sort of thing because these phones both are glitchy — as detailed in the descriptions — but I listed them under Phones instead of Parts Only?  That is, do scammers see a chance there to then say I sent them a faulty item?  The phones do work, mostly; would you recommend that I list them as Parts Only to be safer against complaints?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is my buyer (0-feedback, "pending payment," courier address) a scammer or clueless novice?

OP here; just want to add that the shipping address also showed up in an Amazon seller thread, where posters were more blase/reassuring: https://sellercentral.amazon.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=229017 .  Also, FYI, I did not list the phones for international sale -- was only willing to ship to US addresses.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

They sent an echeck. You don't ship until PP says it's cleared.

And yes, if there were problems with the phones, you should have them under parts/not working. Used means that they work as intended.

The address is a reshippers address.

It's a scammer hoping you are stupid enough to ship before the check clears. It's either a valid e-check with no money in the accoint OR it's a top up payment and the scammer has to go their bank to complete the transfer which they won't do. And again they want you to be foolish enough to ship despite the pending NOT OK to ship payment.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 4 of 4
latest reply