cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it okay to end auctions early and accept an offer from a buyer?

Hi, I have a request from a buyer to buy a few of the items I have listed now. She wants to buy these now & is asking for a reduced price on the lot of items. Does EBAY allow you to end auctions and accept an offer  from a buyer? Do I have to resist all the items as one lot so she can purchase them as a lot? Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

@aruba-sun 

If you have bids on any of these auction, it is not recommended.  If not,  you can end them and relist at a buy it now listing and don't add best offers.  Make sure you communicate with the buyer when you do and set them at a price that is both fair to you and the perspective buyer.  

Happy Selling

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

EBay does allow you to end an auction early without penalty as long as there is/are more than 24 hours left before the auction ends. If there are bids on the item you can accept the current bid and sell to that buyer if you wish. 

That being said I use the auction format almost exclusively and I almost NEVER end an auction early unless it is an item that I have sold elsewhere, has become damaged. A lot of times there will be a number of watchers on the auction and it is common for bidders to place their bids in the last 24 hours of the auction. Pulling the rug out from under those watchers may leave them with a bad impression of you as a seller. 

For your situation if none of your listings have any bids and 0 or very few watchers then I would simply end those auctions, bundle the items the individual is interested in and post a single listing as BIN/IPR. Coordinate with the buyer so they know when the listing is up, there is always  the chance that someone else may grab it. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hi,Thanks for your quick response and knowledge. It was very helpful. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Hi,Thanks for your quick response and knowledge. It was very helpful. Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

EBay does allow you to end an auction early without penalty as long as there is/are more than 24 hours left before the auction ends. ...

A seller can choose to end the auction early and sell to the current high bidder at any time, even during the final hours of the auction.

If an auction has less than 12 hours left, the seller cannot cancel the bids and end the auction with no transaction; they can end it only if they sell to the high bidder. This Help page has charts showing all of the cancellation policies as they relate to format (auction vs fixed price), time left, penalty fees, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Currently none of your active auctions have any bids, so if you have not yet acted upon your initial request, I recommend that you end the auctions that this potential buyer wants (there will be no penalty, because the auctions have no bids), and then create one new listing for the requested lot.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Does EBAY allow you to end auctions and accept an offer  from a buyer?

@aruba-sun 

A quick look at your listings suggest that you do not use the Best Offer feature?  How are you receiving these offers?  Is the buyer simply sending you a message?  and/or asking you to "reply with an offer"? 

You can make a listing especially for them, but there is no guarantee that they will follow through with the purchase, or even someone else will purchase that listing instead. There are some ways to do this if you think they will actually pay for the lot.  

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

EBay does allow you to end an auction early without penalty as long as there is/are more than 24 hours left before the auction ends. ...

A seller can choose to end the auction early and sell to the current high bidder at any time, even during the final hours of the auction.

If an auction has less than 12 hours left, the seller cannot cancel the bids and end the auction with no transaction; they can end it only if they sell to the high bidder. This Help page has charts showing all of the cancellation policies as they relate to format (auction vs fixed price), time left, penalty fees, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

Thank you I usually post the policy but for some reason I could not find this one so I was going off of memory. 

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@aruba-sun wrote:

wants to buy these now & is asking for a reduced price on the lot of items.

You' are about to get rolled...because they don't want to pay what the lot might go for.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply