cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inner-state sales only?

So, I saw in some threads here a week or so back, something about a seller being perplexed at his unusual amount of sales to his own state of Wisconsin (or such)....I didn't really follow the conversation too much...but gosh, it seems it's happening to me now!  6 sales this month, 5 in Cali....I hardly ever sell in my own state.  What do you suppose is the cause of this?  Coincidence?  Or, something to do with not wanting to deal with out-of-state tax collection on Ebay's end?  Certainly seems the ticket: "Only let people in California see and buy her awesome stuff!" one Ebay exec says to another, "yeah, then there's no tax broohaha!! Ha ha hahahahaha!" says the other Ebay exec in between cigar puffs.  

Ok....clearly I should stay off the computer after midnight. 🙂

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Inner-state sales only?

I would chalk it up to coincidence.  eBay has no cares as to how you handle sales tax, at least not yet.  And there is no sales tax issue unless you are selling large quantities and high $ amounts to buyers in other states. 

I assume you are collecting sales tax from CA buyers? 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

@myboardid wrote:

I would chalk it up to coincidence.  eBay has no cares as to how you handle sales tax, at least not yet.  And there is no sales tax issue unless you are selling large quantities and high $ amounts to buyers in other states. 

I assume you are collecting sales tax from CA buyers? 

I agree it probably has nothing to do with sales tax collection. however, I don't believe getting a spate of sales from one state only is coincidence at all.   The only sales I had last week were ALL from Florida.  This wasn't a one-off scenario.  It happens alot.  I get Texas or California "runs" alot, too.   Or, the other thing that happens frequently is if I put free shipping on an item, I guarantee it will be purchased by someone on the opposite side of the country.    Just happened again yesterday.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

@livadia wrote:

The only sales I had last week were ALL from Florida.  This wasn't a one-off scenario.  It happens alot.  I get Texas or California "runs" alot, too.  

California, Texas and Florida are the three most populous states in the country.

Together, they have more than a quarter of the US population.

I would be surprised if sellers did not get a run of sales from any of those states.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

With all due respect,

The 10 Largest States by Population
  • New York. ...
  • Illinois. ...
  • Pennsylvania. ...
  • Ohio. ...
  • Georgia. ...
  • North Carolina. ...
  • Michigan. This midwestern state borders four Great Lakes, and is the only state in the U.S. to be made up of two separate peninsulas (the Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula). ...
  • New Jersey.
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

With all due respect,

• New York. ...
  • Illinois. ...
  • Pennsylvania. ...
  • Ohio. ...
  • Georgia. ...
  • North Carolina. ...
  • Michigan. This midwestern state borders four Great Lakes, and is the only state in the U.S. to be made up of two separate peninsulas (the Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula). ...
  • New Jersey.

Ummm, followed your link and the list there has California, Texas, and Florida as 1, 2 & 3 followed by New York at 4. 

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

Obviously popular states such as California will be having a lot of sales.

But this is something we too have noticed in the last week. An EXTREMELY increased amount of sales in our state (California). Much less sales to OTHER states.

The question of if this is a coincidence or not, highly doubtful. We've been doing this for years. It's not just one sudden day. It's a trend.

Is this bad? Not necessarily. If you are still getting sales, it doesn't really matter.

But it seems eBay is definitely testing something. Rather than tax calculation, I think it's more likely to do with their calculation of local customers to decrease overall shipping time, as their Guaranteed Delivery system was already doing this to a lesser degree.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

With all due respect,

• New York. ...
  • Illinois. ...
  • Pennsylvania. ...
  • Ohio. ...
  • Georgia. ...
  • North Carolina. ...
  • New Jersey.

@luckythewinner   is correct in his data with New York as the fourth most populated state.  Your list appears to be from some other source because your link shows the same ranking as lucky mentioned.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

I've heard the "populous states" rationale many times.  I don't believe it.

When we lived in Palm Beach County, which comprised the upper edge of the 7th most populous area in the country - Miami/Dade - I did not make more than 2 or 3 sales to Florida buyers.

I've made more sales to North Dakota and Wyoming in the last 1.5 years than ever previously, if not ever at all, since I started selling a lot of 2lb+ widgets and charging shipping.  Sold maybe 3 in all that time to buyers where I live now, the 6th largest metro population in the country.

Those types of items are featured in postal zones where ebay will reap the highest fees on shipping.   Do I sell a lot to CA now, living in VA?  You betcha.   As stated, just as many go to Washington (state), New Mexico, Utah, Idaho - you get the geographic picture here ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

@luckythewinner wrote:

@livadia wrote:

The only sales I had last week were ALL from Florida.  This wasn't a one-off scenario.  It happens alot.  I get Texas or California "runs" alot, too.  

California, Texas and Florida are the three most populous states in the country.

I would be surprised if sellers did not get a run of sales from any of those states.

Sorry, but I don't buy your explanation.   I go for days without any sales and then suddenly I get several in a row all from the same state, sometimes all in the same day.    Same thing often happens with International sales.  I won't have one for months, and then two or more usually from the same country.  I don't call that "coincidental" - I call it, selective listing visibility.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

That happens to me too but I don’t sell on EBay. I’ve also sold to a lady in CA who used to visit her aunt two doors down from me in MA.

The universe is a wondrous thing. I suspect shipping cost and timing.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

I'm highly skeptical of most theories that require eBay to have any semblance of competance in software development, ie selective visibility. 

However, that being said, I can count on a week of higher sales just before my invoice is due to be paid.  Happens 10 months out of the year, but who knows, maybe I should be fitted for a tinfoil hat....

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

@livadia wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@livadia wrote:

Sorry, but I don't buy your explanation.   I go for days without any sales and then suddenly I get several in a row all from the same state, sometimes all in the same day.    Same thing often happens with International sales.  I won't have one for months, and then two or more usually from the same country.  I don't call that "coincidental" - I call it, selective listing visibility.

You can tell the difference between coincidence and trends by looking at the data and see how consistent it is. The recent changes have some consistency to them.

Also, as mentioned above, I have spoke to eBay reps who did confirm that the Guaranteed Delivery system DOES consider location, even if you are using a flat rate shipment that can ship to the entire US, it does encourage local orders more often.

It just makes sense as well. EBay is working on attempts to improve the buyer experience. Reducing ship times by encouraging local sales meets this.

The only pitfall is if sellers are receiving reduced sales because of these changes... that is something that needs to be addressed if it is the case. 

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

Inner-state sales only?

Also, as mentioned above, I have spoke to eBay reps who did confirm that the Guaranteed Delivery system DOES consider location, even if you are using a flat rate shipment that can ship to the entire US, it does encourage local orders more often.

I recently bought an item that had GD.  Item was in TX; the item was going to the East Coast.  I was high skeptical that the item would arrive in three days, and it didn't~GD indicated a Friday delivery.  It arrived on Tuesday.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply