cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect information listed in item description on mobile devices impacting conversion rate?

When a buyer clicks on a item listing in my store and views the item description on the 'front page'  they are being provided incorrect information. I am a seller of vinyl LP records where the condition of the vinyl determines both the value and and acceptable level  of any noise disturbances in relation to the asking price. A rare Near Mint condition of a Beatles album is worth more than the same album with lots of scratches and surface noise. A Grading Standards definition is valued to help the buyer determine what condition the vinyl record is in, and this is provided in each of my listings in the Item Description. Unfortunately I have discovered that the Item Description on the landing page for the item is randomly pulling  information from my Item Description and totally distorting the condition of my Item in many cases. For example I may have a Near Mint album, but the Item Description the Buyer first sees says the record "has numerous scratches and plays with surface noise." Of course you can click on the "Read More" arrow and it will take you to the actual item description giving the actual correct information. How many potential buyers may not even bother, after seeing on the front page the record has a poor grade? It would definitely affect my conversion rate.   

I have contacted ebay and not heard anything back at this time. I am attaching screen shots of item #264107272323 which shows a very "clean album that plays superb" in the actual item description after clicking "Read More" with the front page showing the record as "having scratches and groove wear and will play with noticeable surface noise". How many buyers never make the 2nd click?  The system is randomly pulling sentence fragments from the actual item description, and in this case it pulls from the "Good/Good Plus" grading standard providing an inaccurate Item Description.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding formatting, layout or any method to avoid this from happening,  it  would be greatly appreciated.Screenshot_20190124-120545_eBay 2.jpgScreenshot_20190124-120555_eBay 3.jpg

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Incorrect information listed in item description on mobile devices impacting conversion rate?

I had a buyer tell me my item

was visible as a size 13 with size 10 info. He even sent me a screenshot. The eBay iOS app is beyond glitchy and eBay is unapologetic for it. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

You need to explicitly specify what is to appear in the mobile description if you are unhappy with what eBay chooses.

https://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/customizeyoursummary.html
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

What berserkerplanet said. 

Another option would be to only include the grading guide entries that apply to the record in that  listing. 

A bonus for prospective buyers would be that when they search descriptions for "near mint", their search would not be cluttered up with your VG and G albums. 

P.S. I love (no pun intended) that you used one of my favorite bands as your example 🙂

Message 4 of 4
latest reply