cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to the iPhone Buying and Selling experience

I’m happy to announce that we’ve just launched an improvement to the iPhone buying and selling experience on eBay.

Network Technology (GSM/CDMA):

Apple creates multiple models of their iPhones that support different network technologies like GSM or CDMA. These network technologies determine which network carriers are supported on the phone.

e.g. The iPhone X Model A1901 supports GSM only. This means that you cannot use Verizon or Sprint as the network carrier on that phone.

To help sellers and buyers navigate through this complexity, we have updated our experience as follows:

Selling Experience:

During the iPhone selling experience on ebay.com, we now ask sellers to choose the Model Number of the phone they are trying to sell:

VSE.jpg

You can find the Model Number of your phone on the back of your phone or box. Alternatively you can also get it from general settings on your phone, by tapping once on the “Model” value.

Model.jpg

Buying Experience:

The iPhone product pages (PRPs) now show which “Model Number” you are buying. You can also select the available “Model Numbers” from a drop down.

Please note that the available “Model Number” values is dependent on the supported network. So please select “Unlocked” Network to be able to select all the “Model Numbers”.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Apple-iPhone-X-256GB-Space-Gray-Unlocked-A1901-GSM/239160993

iPhonePRP.jpg

If you are unsure which model or network type to buy, please check with your carrier for compatibility.

If you have any comments/questions/feedback about these updates. Please comment below.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 82
latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

@thenobletuckylife

You kids today, with your music, and smarty devices... back in my day...

I have a pocket watch on a chain, And Levi's no longer puts a little pocket watch pocket on jeans.

Message 46 of 82
latest reply

@syedmhaq

@syedmhaq wrote:

@sockmonkeydave last time I posted such a topic on just the selling board and someone suggested I post it on the buying board as well. I can't win either way. 

In any case maybe I can get away with board violations because I'm an eBay employee? 🙂

And yes, I did see the super moon last night. It was awesome. And I like the picture, although I would have liked to see more of the moon and less of the tree. But I guess then it wouldn't be considered artistic. 

lol I like you, you have a sense of humor.

The cat knocked the wife's tablet off the table and now the thing is going bonkers.

You turn it on and it starts going crazy, playing games and sending out face book friends request.

Me I am a Luddite.

But hey, good work on the mobile thingy.

Message 47 of 82
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

lol I like you, you have a sense of humor.

The cat knocked the wife's tablet off the table and now the thing is going bonkers.

You turn it on and it starts going crazy, playing games and sending out face book friends request.

Me I am a Luddite.

But hey, good work on the mobile thingy.

I've got a song for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8NZJSZ_MqE

Programmed children stare with vacant minds
Pixilated landscapes fill their eyes
Interfacing clouds, binary brains
Grotesque applications numb the pain
Algorithmic memories fill the air
Girls with psychic implants in their hair
You can see it growing everywhere
Cryptic messages sent from coded brains
Memory cells are useless just the same
Thought you'd never come down from the trees
Range-Guides soon arrive on Death-Machines

Message 48 of 82
latest reply

Of course. I am glad to see someone at eBay is taking this category on. If you ever want to discuss more feel free to email or call the # on my account

- Austin
Message 49 of 82
latest reply

Expensive, high end electronics, designer items, etc should be sold using an authentication service, or an escrow service. Give the seller an option to sell this way to reduce risk.

Message 50 of 82
latest reply

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@syedmhaq

Dude... I just can't help myself.... this is tounge in cheek, don't hit me with a can of beans.

You do understand that starting multiple threads about the same topic is a board violation...

Off topic.. did you guys see the "Super Moon" last night, that was wicked cool.  Wife got pics.

She is turning into quite the artist.

20045613_1410344309051907_5472550515799475349_o.jpg

That's awesome!  Compliments to your Mrs.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 51 of 82
latest reply

@syedmhaq wrote:

@sockmonkeydave last time I posted such a topic on just the selling board and someone suggested I post it on the buying board as well. I can't win either way. 

In any case maybe I can get away with board violations because I'm an eBay employee? 🙂

And yes, I did see the super moon last night. It was awesome. And I like the picture, although I would have liked to see more of the moon and less of the tree. But I guess then it wouldn't be considered artistic. 

@syedmhaq

I often wonder what you did to always seem to get the "short straw" LOL

Just know your efforts are appreciated.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 52 of 82
latest reply

cool

Message 53 of 82
latest reply

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Clearly the overwhelming majority here is deeply concerned about some iPhone buyers involved in fraudulent activity.

Sort of appears that way.  I do appreciate your update, and it made good sense.  I as well appreciate your good sense of humor.  We know you are not involved with 'fraud on ebay', and are doing a wonderful job regarding your assignments.   Don't stay away because the thread went on a side road.  I imagine the responses you got reflect members observations regarding the cell phone scam issue.  I have been a seller since 1998, and if I should decide to go to the "dark side"  ebay would be my first choice to get one for free.   It is so easy, and why we warn newbie sellers of same. 

Message 54 of 82
latest reply

Sorry, I no longer sell my high end cell phones on eBay. I'm sure others have moved on too. Too bad as eBay is losing a lot of FVF because of it (but, I assume you know that because of the endless emails I receive from eBay with the title "See how much your phone is worth").

Message 55 of 82
latest reply

@*eponymous* @syedmhaq

lol  My wife informed me that the picture was of the sun through the tree.

She was messing with special effects, so it just looks like night.

One of her friends knows an art gallery owner, and he is interested in selling posters of this.

I am thinking it needs an inspriational line at the bottom.

She has her tablet at all times, and snaps pics all the time.

I am going to buy her a good DSLR.Her tablet has been dropped on its head.

And it will start playing games on it's own, and sending out friend request to strangers.

But to stay on topic, I am glad they are making inprovements to the app. 

Message 56 of 82
latest reply

Dave, I think you need this song for your new siggie...

https://youtu.be/w3xcybdis1k

Joe

Message 57 of 82
latest reply

@tellmemama

Love it, gonna jam it at work tomorrow.

The guys I work with love "screech rock"

But I got to the computer first today, and I put on Joe Walsh, old school rock.

They don't like my music, I will play Bach... and then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIAhzRR_I14

Message 58 of 82
latest reply

Totally impressed with your solutions to the scam problem on these phones.

Message 59 of 82
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@> syedmhaq wrote:

> Thank you everyone for the feedback.

> Clearly the overwhelming majority here is deeply concerned about some iPhone buyers

> involved in fraudulent activity.

Sort of appears that way.  I do appreciate your update, and it made good sense.  I as well appreciate your good sense of humor. 

Likewise. As I said in a message to Trinton last week, if things seem to be getting a little heated in a face-to-face business confrontation (not necessarily here), sometimes it's good to tell the other party, "I'm not mad at you; I'm mad at the company." I guess that's another way of saying to not take it personally.

@ittybitnot wrote:

We know you are not involved with 'fraud on ebay', and are doing a wonderful job regarding your assignments.   Don't stay away because the thread went on a side road. 

Thus my ping here, just in case: @syedmhaq, one angle you might take, as you seem to be involved in areas for accurately describing the products and such, would be a Seller Education project. We know you're not in the post-sale, scammer-chasing department (if there is one), but perhaps there's some way to expand on the detailed process that you're currently describing for product attributes when listing, to work in some useful seller education somehow.

For example, if this is the first smartphone or laptop listing that a given seller account has attempted, give them one or two popup screens that they have to acknowledge regarding... I don't know, "Best Practices" for selling those high-tech items, something like that.

I know if you call them Scam Warnings or Fraud Warnings or similar, the Marketing people will have an attack of the vapors and need to go lie down for a while.  If you can figure out a way to put a positive spin on it, you can sneak it past the Marketing filters and also make it interesting enough that your newbie sellers will want to read it. In there, you can give them insights into how to verify that payment was actually received by PayPal before they ship, how to recognize what's a valid buyer request and what isn't, and what to do vs. what not to do when shipping.

I know it's a writing challenge, because there is a sometimes-absurd need to portray everything in a positive light here or not at all, but the fact of the matter is that newbie sellers are both being enticed to sell high-priced items here that even experienced sellers would not attempt, and being hung out to dry when their first sales subsequently go sideways on them, on the basis of situations that could have been avoided in the first place with even the most basic user education.

So although you are not able to go after the wolves, maybe you can at least educate the sheep. Good luck. Smiley Happy

Message 60 of 82
latest reply