cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I respond to bad feedback, can the buyer respond to my response?

The reason I ask is it seems the buyer gets the last word. I've seen sellers apologize to the buyers bad feedback, and give the buyer a legitimate reason, then the buyer comes back with something like... "They're lying. Horrible seller! Stay away" and there's no way the seller can respond.

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

IF you worked with the buyer and resolved to the issue then you can ask them to revise. On the feedback page scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a option to request feedback revision. To respond on the right side of the actual feedback under the column that says When there should be a blue link that says reply. If you reply it is always best to just state facts and not get personal or be insulting. While bad feedback can  drive customers away responding getting personal or insulting makes you look bad and gives the impression you are not only a bad seller but are hard to deal with if a issue occurs.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

I believe so, but in all truth, why bother? In your case, you have 100% feedback with a nice feedback count... the question here would be more would it be worth you to get into a feedback match? I understand your point, just don't think it's worth the effort. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 2 of 39
latest reply

@max-list wrote:

The reason I ask is it seems the buyer gets the last word. I've seen sellers apologize to the buyers bad feedback, and give the buyer a legitimate reason, then the buyer comes back with something like... "They're lying. Horrible seller! Stay away" and there's no way the seller can respond.

Yup. That sounds about right.

Message 3 of 39
latest reply

Yes, they can.

If you reply, choose your reply carefully. 

Generally the reply is to give future buyers comfort and not to prove the the current buyer wrong.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 4 of 39
latest reply

IF you worked with the buyer and resolved to the issue then you can ask them to revise. On the feedback page scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a option to request feedback revision. To respond on the right side of the actual feedback under the column that says When there should be a blue link that says reply. If you reply it is always best to just state facts and not get personal or be insulting. While bad feedback can  drive customers away responding getting personal or insulting makes you look bad and gives the impression you are not only a bad seller but are hard to deal with if a issue occurs.

Message 5 of 39
latest reply

i give great service, great prices ,  free shipping, speedy delivery,  im not apologizing for anything. i will respond if someone were to  leave feedback  and say  otherwise. 

Message 6 of 39
latest reply

Yes--the buyer has "the hammer," as they say in shuffleboard.

1. They post feedback.
  2. You reply.
  3. They can leave a second feedback comment in reply to yours.

Game over.

Message 7 of 39
latest reply

I mainly sell used model train buildings. I go out of my way to identify who made the building and provide the kit number whenever possible. On top of that I go over the buildings and identify any issues I an see. I compare them with other buildings and let the buyer know what if anything may be missing.  This way my buyers can have good idea as to what they will be receiving and if the building will work for what ever project they are working on. 

For 3 or 4 years I had a stellar record of nothing but positive feedback plus when every a buyer has a reasonable problem I have always worked with them to resolve the issue . A little over a year a go I got a set of multiple N scale buildings. 1 of the buildings seamed a little large for N scale and was only a side of a building. Some models will cut buildings in half and place them against a wall as a back drop so it looks like there is a row of complete buildings against the wall but are just the fronts or sides so there is a little more detail then a wall painted like there is just a sky line.

When I researched the building I found it to be a small side building for a engine shed. I originally thought it may be HO scale instead on N scale.  I found the manufacture had the same style building for both N and HO scale. I dug through worth point and found a image of the N scale building with a ruler laid right in front of the portion of the building I had on hand. The dimension in the picture measured out to exactly what I had on hand. I did a little closer inspection on the doorway on the building I had on hand. While it was taller than a normal N scale door the width was way to small for a HO scale door. While normally a door will be the same size as a figurine for that scale  industrial buildings will have larger doors so that not only people can use them but equipment and supplies can be brought in through them.

I listed the building as a N scale and completely disclosed every thing about how it came with N scale buildings but originally I thought it may be a HO scale building used as a back drop. I disclosed that I identified it as part of a engine shed and included the kit number. I also included the image from worth point showing the building was the same size as the verified full N scale version. I still warned that the door was a little large and even though it was taller than normal N scale I stated that I feel it is N scale but still stressed it may be HO as I do not have the full complete building. I did not sell it for a lot of money only like 4 or 5 dollars. With engine shed you can take multiple kits and combine them to make wider or longer buildings. So selling it cheep would let a buyer expand their current building. 

A little while later a buyer bought the item and I shipped it. about a month later they left me natural feedback saying they thought I misidentified it as N scale they said the door was way to big for N scale. I chose not to respond as the buyer did not ask me fore a refund and in this case I would have worked with them or possible just cut my loses and issued the refund and not paid for a return label.  Since the feedback showed the eBay listing id with the blue link I figured other buyers could click and if really worried see I actually disclosed the issue the buyer was talking about and that I said originally I thought it was HO and why I listed it as N scale. Because of all this I did not want to be petty and look like I was arguing with the buyer and left my feed back record speak for it self a couple of hundred positive to 1 neutral was fine with me and most buyers who look at my descriptions of items I am selling under the train sections of my store will see I go above and beyond to inform them of condition of the item being listed. After 1 year the neutral dropped off and from what I can tell did not effect my sells.

Sometimes you got to pick your battles and as I stated in the last post if you do reply do not get personal and stick to  facts about what you did to fix the issue so that you will not look worst to potential buyers.

Message 8 of 39
latest reply

Yes, both the buyer and the seller get ONE opportunity to post a comment.

With that said, your FB page is no place for your anger over something a buyer has done.  Keep in mind that your FB page is seen by MANY prospective customers.  Act like an idiot in the way you comment about another customer by calling them names or insulting them will like turn away some new customers.  Think of your FB page as a way to advertise.

If you feel compelled to respond, do it professionally, politely and factual.  Using the example you wrote above that a buyer may have said, I'd respond something like this:  No contact from buyer, I'm sorry there was an issue I was unaware.  Just something simple and to the point without pointing fingers or resorting to name calling.

FYI there is a new feature on our FB pages.  Look in the column on the right.  You will see the word "REPLY".  Just click on that an you can post a reply to any of the FB you have received.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 39
latest reply

@max-list wrote:

Try to imagine if the replies had no ending. Feedback on eBay would quickly descend into a long stream of angry comments back and forth.... This isn't social media, it's a platform for selling online....

Message 10 of 39
latest reply

Never respond to feedback.

Let the unhappy buyer look like  an entitled twit with anger issues.

The only one who will ever read the negative FB is the occasional buyer who understands how FB works.

One minor exception.

Leaving a factual correction.

EG- Buyer : Fruad!Slow shipping Late Delvery Would not refund Scam seller.

Seller: Paid Jan31 Shipped Feb1 Rec'd Feb6 - 5businessdays+weekend 

OR Purchase Jan 28Paid Jan 31 Shipped Feb 1 Rec'd Feb 6

Message 11 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for responding. I hear ya, I called ebay about something else and asked them if the buyer can reply and she said no. I can see now that she didn't know, but still told me that, so thanks for all your answers.  I wouldn't get into a feedback match, but sometime I might need to defend myself.  Just needed to know for future reference. Thanks.

Message 12 of 39
latest reply

Maybe wait until the last day and they won’t see your reply in time to respond themselves. 

I’m not sure if your response would reset the clock for them. Just a thought.

Diane

Message 13 of 39
latest reply

I'm the same way except I hesitate if I see they aren't decent people and leave others bad feedback. I thought I could just respond and that was the end of it, but looks like I was wrong.

Message 14 of 39
latest reply

Thanks for the info. I'd called ebay about something else and they said the buyer can't respond. I am never rude with buyers but this one new guy who'd bought 1 item, said my flints weren't red. They aren't supposed to be. My pictures clearly show that. They are brand new and I've sold over 500 of them over many years with no complaints. Ebay would not back me up.... amazing that a new guy who's bought 1 item vs me, a top seller, selling thousands of items over 10 yrs, can ruin my flawless record. I was going to respond to his feedback saying I've never had a complaint selling 500 of them, but I'm glad I didn't. He could have come back with something nasty. I wrote him and kissed his a** and he changed it. I just needed to know this for future reference. Thanks for your help.

Message 15 of 39
latest reply