cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think a buyer is trying to scam me.

Hello, I'm new to eBay and mainly have been listing cds and dvds. Today I had a buyer request an invoice but in the message (which is filled with equals signs between most words) ask me to text them. I sent back a response that I would need to comunicate with them through eBay. I also noticed that the address they were requesting was in Malaysia and I set up all my items for U.S. shipping only. They have not responded. They have "bought" the item with the Buy it Now feature but have not paid. Is there something else I need to do? Is it possible for them to keep my listing in some sort of limbo? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Three things:

1.  You are correct in wanting to keep all communication on eBay.  When a buyer requests to take communication off of eBay, suspect a scammer.

2.  Since your listings only ship to the US, your Malaysian buyer will not be able to pay unless they provide a US shipping address during checkout.

You can either cancel the transaction, citing problem with the buyer's address, or better yet .....

Complete the UPI process:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=1&que...

3.  Set your Buyer Requirement to enforce your listings' shipping terms.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Three things:

1.  You are correct in wanting to keep all communication on eBay.  When a buyer requests to take communication off of eBay, suspect a scammer.

2.  Since your listings only ship to the US, your Malaysian buyer will not be able to pay unless they provide a US shipping address during checkout.

You can either cancel the transaction, citing problem with the buyer's address, or better yet .....

Complete the UPI process:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/resolving-unpaid-items-buyers?id=4137&st=12&pos=1&que...

3.  Set your Buyer Requirement to enforce your listings' shipping terms.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you very much for the advise and including the links as well.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You're welcome. Good luck.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Any time you see punctuation or special characters between each word in a message, you can bet that the message was copied from somewhere else rather than composed, and there is a very good chance the extra characters are an attempt to get around a spam filter.

A message that says "I am interested in your item, kindly text me", an offer greater than your buy it now price, or a request for a gift card is generally the start of a scam where the scammer winds up sending a phony PayPal email that makes it look like the seller has received a payment when none has actually been received. Scammers like to target new sellers, particularly those selling expensive items.

Sending contact information (text or email) prior to a transaction payment is a violation of eBay policy; this policy is designed to protect honest buyers and sellers from this sort of thing, and to prevent off-eBay sales.

Never buy a gift card for anyone unless you are giving a gift.

As a seller you should always check your PayPal account directly (not following a link in an email) to see if you have actually been paid prior to shipping. If an actual buyer does not send an actual payment, file an unpaid item dispute and go through that process to get your fees back and to give the "buyer" a strike -- and set your buying requirement to reject bids from users with two or more strikes.

eBay will likely remove the scammer's account at some point, but the scammer will just create a new one or hijack an old one and continue sending scam offers and messages. Sellers must remain wary of any user that wants the seller to violate eBay policy.

You can avoid many common scams by listing your item for a fixed price with immediate payment required and by not accepting any offers. That way the buyer must complete checkout and actually pay in order to proceed.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Where is the Buying Requirement tab?  I have MP .

To the  OP.    Make sure to put this buyer on your Block Bidder List.  Even thou they cant buy your item. They wont have a chance to do this to you again.  Great catch on the scam.  Awesome.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@doug_5857 

Site Pref's.jpg

And if you use the Seller Hub, you can look for the Site Preferences link under Shortcuts.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply