cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made a dumb mistake, listed the wrong item model, and then also shipped the wrong item model

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225298116566

It was for the above item. The item that I was trying to sell (in the picture) is for a 2070 Super video card. I accidentally listed the TITLE  as a 2080 Super, which is different (and better). I didn't notice until after I shipped the item.

I contacted the seller, apologized, and let them know I would contact eBay, but I really don't see any kind of Customer Service phone number to call, nor do I see an answer to this issue in a FAQ.

Is it as simple as sending the buyer a prepaid return label so they can send it back to me? Do you think I am able to cancel shipping via the USPS (I did 3 day priority shipping). I just want to make sure I get my item back eventually and obviously the seller should get their money back. I realize this is my mistake and I feel really stupid about it, I should have proofread more diligently. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: If you're wondering how I did this, I copy and pasted into eBay's "autosearch" feature so I could just click the item that matched my item, which is what I did. I unfortunately ignored the most important number in the item result that I chose.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I made a dumb mistake, listed the wrong item model, and then also shipped the wrong item model

What do you need to contact eBay for? eBay can’t undo your mistake only you can fix it by giving your buyer a refund after they return the widget. 
Your buyer will more than likely open a not as described case, since the item is indeed not as described by your own admission.  When your buyer opens a case through MBG they will be given a return label that you will be charged for. When the item is delivered to you, you will have up to 3 business days to issue the refund. 

Or if you just shipped you can try to recall the package, this service is not free. Then issue the refund to your buyer when the package is back in your possession. 

It’s always best when posting a listing is to write your own titles, descriptions and take your own pictures. This way you avoid overlooking information that isn’t relevant to your item. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The phone reps don't work for eBay, but for a subcontractor in Utah.

You don't need to talk to eBay, only to your customer.

When he tells you he got the wrong thing, send him a Return Shipping Label and refund him when you get it back.

If he likes the (better) item, welp.

It was your error and his pleasant surprise.

For future reference here are the social media actually covered by real trained eBay employees.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@seanfrederick 

First, I think you are talking about a buyer and not a seller?

Second, since you already contacted the buyer, wait for their response, or follow up in a day or two.

Your buyer will open a return case eventually if they don't want the item. 

Just sit, relax and follow up with another email in a couple of days. No need to cancel yet.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. The seller is graciously working with me and accepting the product for a discount. All is well.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the reply. The seller is graciously working with me and accepting the product for a discount. I will take down the eBay contact info though, for the future. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Yes, I meant buyer. And yes, I overreacted because the seller is graciously working with me. Thank you for the response though. I’m glad I know there is help on these forums.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You mean the "buyer" is working with you...you keep replying with the "seller"..

The buyer is working with you..not the seller, correct?

Buyer is one that buys from you.

Seller is the one the sells something to you.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply