cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm really confused...does ebay have a beta site...or do they just wing it?

Casual observation on these boards points to a preponderence of tech glitches.

I would assume that a "tech company" would employ a beta site to avoid such glitches.

Yet...they appear on a regular basis.

So...being of a rational mind, I ask: 

Does ebay have a beta site?...and...

Does it work?

If it doesn't work, why not?

If they don't have a beta site, why are they qualified for the tech sector?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@ted_200 wrote:

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

This was attributed to various famous people.

The one upthread was attributed to infamous people.  It actually came from eBay CS.

I know!Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

My guess?? The is how their teams work/don't work together. I do a variant of QA and defect reporting for a software company. I am more "customer facing" versus the engineers. If a product defect was reported, like a screen saying 1+1=3, I would reach out to the impacted person and run a few tests, check their system info,  etc etc until I could dupe the problem, or we fixed something on their side that fixed the problem. 

The issue is when their is an actual defect either in the program or website. I work with the engineers/Dev team to get the issue fixed. I could tell you 1+1=3 and show you how that happened, but all they see is the code behind the scenes, or are in next week's release, or are in such pristine systems, that they don't understand why something that isn't broke needs fixed. Then on top of the misconnects, communicating with someone in another country can be problematic as well.

I wonder what the process is for when a defect is confirmed. Once a fix is identified do they test and use a training environment to see if the fix for this didn't break that. And when something breaks, why aren't they addressing the issues via a blog or support site page and let us know when it should be fixed or that they know and are working on it. Better yet-- do they even care about all the issues or rather work on their "Next Big Idea" for the site. Sigh I rambled. 

I think they wing it.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Half the supposedly glitches are not glitches at all. Many do not have patience when changes are made and go into a frenzy when what they normally are used to is different. Also many have outdated computers and computers with viruses and such making them believe Ebay has some sort of a glitch. Almost all the real glitches I have seen where fixed within a reasonable amount of time. Many who post about a glitch problem will usually have a reply that it was fixed by the time half the people view the thread. And the answer to your question is yes, they beta test most changes before implementing them. It is actually another reason why some think there are so many glitches. They have been placed into the beta test.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

You're on the beta site.

Exactly what i was going to say.  The main site is the Beta site and we are the Beta testers who find all the glitches and problems for Ebay so they don't have to spend the money on them.  They know that we as sellers will find all the problems since they effect our sales, so why spend any of their money on it.  

Thats the Ebay way to do things.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply