cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I don't accept returns for items that don't fit and buyer wants to return, what do I do?

Hi,

I'm a part time seller and can't afford to accept returns for items that don't fit.  I received a request to return anyway.  I'm not sure what to do.  Do I stand my ground and decline the return and risk another bad review, or do I accept the return but make the buyer pay return shipping?  

Advice please, thank you in advance

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I don't accept returns for items that don't fit and buyer wants to return, what do I do?

@ecclectic_key 

What doesn't fit, the Orvis jacket?  Or shoes?

I started a log of threads here on The Community with sellers who don't offer returns.  Many stories are the same and could be avoided if they simply Accepted returns and you hit the nail on the head that if you decline you risk less than Positive Feedback.  Not to mention the Buyer can simply turn around and file a charge back with their credit card company and if they win not only will you give up the money but they will keep the item AND eBay will charge you another $ 20 for losing the charge back claim.

I guess you know eBay has several return reasons that trump the No returns accepted setting, they force you to pay for the return shipping label.  

In the end Returns are part of Retail sales.  I think the No returns accepted setting has its place but not as a general return policy for all items.  I think it would be fine for two choices on eBay's Item Specific's Grading system:

-Junk value - parts only

-Restoration required

I am an advocate of the Free 30 day return policy and have experienced a low return rate despite that.   If you have confidence in what you sell and sell decent stuff you will most likely wind up with a low return rate. 

It also allows you to take full advantage of Seller Protections when needed on a bogus return: Seller protections | eBay

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

If you don't accept the return eBay will refund and allow the buyer to keep the item.  

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@ecclectic_key 

If the reason selected was "does not fit" it would be a "remorse" return that you can decline.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I you don't accept returns, you can deny returns for fit issues.

If you accept it, the buyer would pay return shipping and you can deduct the original shipping they paid from the refund.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

This is not correct information.

This would only be the case if the buyer opened a non remorse return.

If the buyer opens a remorse return and the seller has the listing 'does not accept returns', eBay will not override it. They will honor it.

The ones eBay issues refunds for is when people think 'no returns' applies to all returns including INAD. You can't deny a non remorse return within the return window.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@ecclectic_key 

What doesn't fit, the Orvis jacket?  Or shoes?

I started a log of threads here on The Community with sellers who don't offer returns.  Many stories are the same and could be avoided if they simply Accepted returns and you hit the nail on the head that if you decline you risk less than Positive Feedback.  Not to mention the Buyer can simply turn around and file a charge back with their credit card company and if they win not only will you give up the money but they will keep the item AND eBay will charge you another $ 20 for losing the charge back claim.

I guess you know eBay has several return reasons that trump the No returns accepted setting, they force you to pay for the return shipping label.  

In the end Returns are part of Retail sales.  I think the No returns accepted setting has its place but not as a general return policy for all items.  I think it would be fine for two choices on eBay's Item Specific's Grading system:

-Junk value - parts only

-Restoration required

I am an advocate of the Free 30 day return policy and have experienced a low return rate despite that.   If you have confidence in what you sell and sell decent stuff you will most likely wind up with a low return rate. 

It also allows you to take full advantage of Seller Protections when needed on a bogus return: Seller protections | eBay

Regards,
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 @kensgiftshop @dqdistribution 

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to deny the return.  I think the buyer can leave negative feedback, am I right?  Which sucks because Ebay will do nothing based on one damaging negative feedback I received.  I previously had 100% feedback and ONE negative brought me down to 97% and it's a SLOW climb back up.  I hate losing sleep 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@ecclectic_key wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to deny the return.  I think the buyer can leave negative feedback, am I right?  Which sucks because Ebay will do nothing based on one damaging negative feedback I received.  I previously had 100% feedback and ONE negative brought me down to 97% and it's a SLOW climb back up.  I hate losing sleep 

@ecclectic_key 

Yes, the Customer can leave less than Positive Feedback ... I certainly hope they don't but please let us know how it works out for you.  Nobody here wants to see you fail.

Regards,
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@ecclectic_key wrote:

It's your right to do that. The buyer  can leave negative feedback AND open a charge back. Both of which is the buyer's right too.

Lots of times problems can be avoided by just taking the return.  Let me say in advance "I told you so". Before you start a new thread asking how to fight an INAD chargeback. Because that is likely to happen. Kind of surprised your last buyer that left you a neg didn't file one. You may not be so lucky this time. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

If you don't accept the return eBay will refund and allow the buyer to keep the item.  

Not true. 

It's a remorse return request (fit) and the seller has the right to decline. 

@ecclectic_key 

I wouldn't decline the return. Although you aren't obligated to accept a remorse return, you have nothing to lose by doing so and will have a happy buyer. 

If you accept, the buyer pays return shipping and since you charge separately for shipping, you don't need to refund the original shipping. 

I would tell the buyer that you'll accept the return and once you receive it, you'll refund the purchase price. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@ecclectic_key wrote:

I previously had 100% feedback and ONE negative brought me down to 97% and it's a SLOW climb back up.  

I saw that neg and IMO, it sounds like you deserved that one. If I accept the buyer's comment, you advertised an item as new but it was clearly used. 

I wonder why the buyer didn't just open a NAD return request. 

In the case of the current buyer, again, you won't lose money - fees will be prorated, buyer will be happy and you should be happy that the buyer was honest enough to admit that it was the wrong size. The buyer could have lied and claimed it was NAD and you would have been obligated to accept the return, issue a FULL refund PLUS pay return shipping.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@ecclectic_key  I would just take the return - have the buyer open a return for 'doesn't fit' - they'll get a label and ship it back to you, you refund purchase price, list it and it will sell.

I used to be 'no returns' and it was a complete pain in the backside. I didn't lose anything by switching to 30-day returns save for a lot of heartache.

ETA: I meant to say - you don't have to take returns on everything - the policy can be set listing by listing.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

You should present those terms up front in your clothing listings then.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@mr_lincoln ,

Amen!!!!!!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Even though you have a No Return policy, that doesn't mean you don't take returns or give refunds.

All sellers have to have return policies that meet or exceed the Money Back Guarantee.

Since you have a No Return Policy you do have the right to decline a Request for Return IF and ONLY IF the buyer files a proper Buyer's Remorse reason for the return.  Any other kind of return request you need to honor and process or it could hurt the health of your selling account.

If you deny the return on a properly filed buyer's remorse return, you FB should be protected.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 15 of 17
latest reply