cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Am Even More Proud of Selling on eBay Today.... and so should you.

Hello Seller Community,

We just had case against us closed in our favor.  We had sold an item that stated its color in the subject line as "Brass" and then throughout the listing itself it showed the color as "Brass-Glo", including the photos, Item Specifics and within the Description body itself.  The Buyer tried to use the missing "Glo" from the subject line to get us to pay for the return. Keep in mind, this buyer had bought this item once before and we knew that she knew what she was getting. She simply changed her mind and wanted to use eBay's "Wrong Item Shipped" process to get us to pay the shipping costs. 

Long story short..... we reported the Buyer and in the end eBay stood with us and charged the buyer. She was furious and left us a scathing feedback with a negative rating......... and eBay plucked that from our feedback rating within hours..... without us asking.  We did out part by making a solid listing AND MOST IMPORTANTLY.... did not allow this Buyer to scam us. We spent the time needed to address this and I encourage everyone to do the same. If you allow any customer to scam you/eBay you are encouraging this activity. We have a 100% NO SCAM Rule in our business policies and we stand up to 100% of these actions. AND... nearly all cases or situation resolve in our favor. It is our duty as the eBay community to do this.

Below is our write up attached to the Report a Buyer process:

"We believe this Buyer is abusing eBay's "Wrong Item Shipped" process in order to subvert the associated shipping costs of returning this item. The Buyer states we shipped a different finish/color of product than was described. Our listing shows photos of the Manufacturer's packaging stating the finish/color. Also within the listing's Item Specifics we have properly indicated the finish/color along with the manufacturer's UPC code. Furthermore, our written description further states the color/finish. And lastly, and most importantly, this Customer had previously purchased the exact same item from the exact same listing (Order: 19-10089-70354) several months prior. We are highly confident the Buyer knew exactly what they ordered and upon receiving the item decided they did not need the item and were unwilling to pay the shipping for the return. The Buyer expects a 100% refund and we feel it is only correct to refund the product purchase less all shipping. Furthermore, we feel neither eBay nor Hurley Byrd IAS should cover any of these costs. We do not take fraud lightly nor do we allow ANY Buyer to action these fraudulent processes. We request eBay investigate this issue and then stand with Hurley Byrd to help eradicate process misuse and continue to produce the most positive Buyer/Seller experience in the eBay environment for the future."

Thank You eBay,

Pete Hurley

Hurley Byrd IAS

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

@hurley_byrd_ias 

That is good news.  Did you have to "accept the return" first?   How long did this process you use take?  If you care to disclose it, what was the value of the item? 

Message 2 of 75
latest reply

@hurley_byrd_ias 

Not to be the messenger of bad news but they can still do a chargeback on their CC/Paypal.  Lets hope they don't.  Congrats on your win!

Message 3 of 75
latest reply

So the buyer did not use item not as described? That’s the one I need see protection for to return to selling antiques.

certainly, heading in right direction, congrats. Let us know if they try a chargeback.

Message 4 of 75
latest reply

Congrats on the win. Be grateful that it was not a NAD as opposed to a return request. Sellers seldom win NAD requests. Had the buyer been a bit smarter they would simply have opened a NAD with their CC company and likely won and been allowed to keep the item(s) under the current laws that are in place. There is no way to fully protect yourself as a seller on eBay and the savvy scammers know how to milk the system. However, given what you sell you are probably not high on the scammers list. 

Message 5 of 75
latest reply

Yes. Actually, eBay automatically accepts the return, which is in line with our policies. All items can be returned without question.  In a Not As Described (NAD) situation eBay automatically processes the return, as they should.

Upon the item's return arrival we needed to process the refund, which is also fine. eBay then gives you the option to 100% refund or deduct the original shipping, which in this case was $13 on a $28 item. I deducted the shipping and sent the refund. Keep in mind that once the item was in motion and shipping in our direction I reported the buyer and that is when I performed my write up. The Buyer has tried to write us telling us what bad people we were and was obviously trying to get us to refund her moneys. WE DO NOT ALLOW Buyers to scam us like that and forced the return. 

Of course the Buyer rejected the refund amount and opened the case that we were liable for all costs.  When this happened.....  it took about an hour, or less, for eBay to close the case in our favor. Within minutes she left us NASTY feedback..... in less that 24 hours.... that feedback was stripped. 

Message 6 of 75
latest reply

I've been selling on eBay for about a decade now in two stores and have never had a chargeback.  eBay no longer uses PayPal so I expect a person would have to go through a lot of red tape performing a chargeback. I also suspect that eBay's continued protection/performance/scam-reduction policies would continue to work as they have here.

Also....... we have had a few scenarios that we did mistakenly ship the wrong item or could recognize how we mis-informed the Buyer and readily paid up.  I suspect there is an algorithm that sees how we play with our Buyers and with eBay itself. We pay up when we should..... and fight when we should. We have a stellar reputation within eBay itself.

Message 7 of 75
latest reply

They did not. They used "Wrong Item Shipped"

Message 8 of 75
latest reply

@hurley_byrd_ias wrote:

I've been selling on eBay for about a decade now in two stores and have never had a chargeback.  eBay no longer uses PayPal so I expect a person would have to go through a lot of red tape performing a chargeback. I also suspect that eBay's continued protection/performance/scam-reduction policies would continue to work as they have here.

Also....... we have had a few scenarios that we did mistakenly ship the wrong item or could recognize how we mis-informed the Buyer and readily paid up.  I suspect there is an algorithm that sees how we play with our Buyers and with eBay itself. We pay up when we should..... and fight when we should. We have a stellar reputation within eBay itself.

Paypal is STILL a payment method allowed by eBay. Yes, they CAN do a chargeback both with Paypal AND their CC company. If they will or not is the question. If they are this persistent, they probably will. If they open a case, and you fight it and lose, it will cost you an extra $20 on top of the refund you would be forced to give.

If they open a case, you will likely lose it. CC companies protect cardholders and don't care what the merchant has to say, unless the card holder has a habitual habit of filing cases. 

Who knows what will happen. Best of luck to you.

Message 9 of 75
latest reply

I am also proud to be a ebay seller, and it has nothing to do with winning or losing a particular case.

I am thankful for ebay to provide me this platform to make a little extra cash.

Extra cash to help me afford the finer things in life, such as gas and pop-tarts.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 10 of 75
latest reply

Consider yourself fortunate that you have not had a chargeback. The chargeback problem has grown about 30% in the last few years and is now a multi-billion dollar a year problem. I have done several chargebacks and it is actually easier to open a chargeback that it is to open an eBay claim/case and the eBay protection/performance/scam-reduction policies mean absolutely nothing in the face of a chargeback. The only thing that matters is the laws the CC companies must operate under with regards to chargebacks. If a buyer opens a NAD chargeback 99% of the time the buyer/card holder is going to win, be fully refunded and allowed to keep the item(s). 

On the good side the CC companies do monitor for abuse by cardholders as well as high rates against those businesses authorized to accept their cards. 

Message 11 of 75
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to come here and post this.  A Community like this is full of complaints and concerns, which is the nature of forums like this.  The members that have good experiences like you did rarely come her to post the details.  There are usually two reasons for that.  Once the thread will often not get a bunch of posters on the thread because no one is complaining or the ones that would want to make it seem negative or disagree with the OP [that's you the original poster, or opening post].

You did a GREAT job as a seller and more stories like this need to be shared so others can LEARN from it.  You have a very good and important message to share and again I'm grateful you came here to share your experience.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 75
latest reply

@hurley_byrd_ias wrote:

Yes. Actually, eBay automatically accepts the return, which is in line with our policies. All items can be returned without question.  In a Not As Described (NAD) situation eBay automatically processes the return, as they should.

Upon the item's return arrival we needed to process the refund, which is also fine. eBay then gives you the option to 100% refund or deduct the original shipping, which in this case was $13 on a $28 item. I deducted the shipping and sent the refund. Keep in mind that once the item was in motion and shipping in our direction I reported the buyer and that is when I performed my write up. The

Buyer has tried to write us telling us what bad people we were and was obviously trying to get us to refund her moneys. WE DO NOT ALLOW Buyers to scam us like that and forced the return. 

Of course the Buyer rejected the refund amount and opened the case that we were liable for all costs.  When this happened.....  it took about an hour, or less, for eBay to close the case in our favor. Within minutes she left us NASTY feedback..... in less that 24 hours.... that feedback was stripped. 

Yes sellers can set up in their Site Preferences to have INADs automatically accepted and start the process.  Clearly you have your Customer Service procedures set up clearly for your little company.  Job well done!

Just to add a little here.  You got a little lucky on this one.  The rules for how or when TRS can give a reduced refund does NOT include withholding original shipping or return shipping.  Except with a properly filed Buyer's Remorse return.  You said earlier that they selected the reason as "the wrong item shipped", which is an INAD.

Up to 50% refund deduction for decreased value on used or damaged returns

When you issue a refund for an item that was returned after it was used or damaged by a buyer, and you have a track record of delivering on your service promise, we’ll give you the ability to protect yourself. Top Rated Sellers can deduct up to 50% of the refund to recover the decreased value of the item. If there are any issues with buyers that may negatively impact you, we’ll take care of them by removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2019-fall/seller-protections#:~:text=Top%....

Guidelines for how much to deduct from the refund

Here are some guidelines to help you determine how much to deduct from the buyer's refund.

Condition of return

Refund deduction guidance

Excellent condition:
  • Unused, undamaged, or unaltered
  • All items included in the original package
  • Factory or vacuum seal must not be broken/opened (if applicable)
  • Original tags included & attached (where applicable)
  • Must include provided certificates of authenticity, grading, or appraisal

No deductions

Good condition:
  • Missing original packaging
  • Factory or vacuum seal is broken/opened, but the item is still in its original condition
  • Original tags included but unattached

5%–10% deduction

Fair condition:
  • Missing parts
  • Some signs of wear or use
  • Item has been installed
  • Item has been registered or user has not logged out of the device's account, and it cannot easily be set back to factory settings
  • Original tags missing

15%–30% deduction

Poor condition:
  • Significant signs of wear, or significantly different than how it was shipped to the buyer
  • Missing essential parts
  • Item is damaged, scratched, defective, or requires service or repair 
  • Missing provided certificates of authenticity, grading, or appraisal
  • Opened items that cannot be resold (perishables, liquor, makeup) 
  • Sold multiple items but the buyer didn’t return all of them

35%–50% deduction

Please don't take me wrong.  I'm very glad you were able to take care of this situation in a way that worked out well for you.  

Message 13 of 75
latest reply

@hurley_byrd_ias wrote:

It is pretty easy for a buyer to file a Chargeback IF they used a credit card of debit card to pay for their transaction.  They just go to the CC or DC holder and put the charge in dispute.

With that said, since you won the Ebay claim, it is likely you would win the Chargeback too using the same evidence as you did with Ebay.  Chargebacks can be won if the evidence the seller provides clearly shows the evidence in the seller's favor.

While Ebay doesn't use PayPal, buyers are allowed to.  But now that Ebay is our money processor buyers do not have to use PP to have a CC or DC payment processed.  Ebay can do it.

I would be willing to bet that if you made a mistake on a shipment, you have GREAT customer service and would step up and take good care of that buyer !!

Message 14 of 75
latest reply

"Paypal is STILL a payment method allowed by eBay. Yes, they CAN do a chargeback both with Paypal AND their CC company."

No they can't.  A buyer can not open a Chargeback in BOTH PayPal and with the CCC.  The CCC would easily see this and deny the 2nd claim.  If you have some specific situations when this happened, I'd be very interested in hearing about them.

"If they open a case, you will likely lose it. CC companies protect cardholders and don't care what the merchant has to say, unless the card holder has a habitual habit of filing cases. "

This is something I've heard many times on these threads.  It isn't totally accurate, but many people believe it.  That is not to say it isn't hard to win a Chargeback, because it can be.  But with proper evidence to submit to the CCC, they can be won.  I've done it and I'm confident so have others.  But in many cases it is no walk in the park.  It will also depend on the reason the buyer filed the Chargeback too.

The seller is only charge the $20 fee if they lose the Chargeback.  If the seller wins, they don't have to pay the fee.

Message 15 of 75
latest reply