cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How would you mail an old stick of laptop ram in the US?

I sold an old stick of laptop RAM for $5. I cut an anti-static bag to size and taped it around the stick, then cut some thinnish single-ply cardboard (not corrugated) to fold around it, so that it had a single layer of the cardboard on both sides, then I taped that around the stick. No sharp edges sticking out from the cardboard. I hand-wrote the address on business-size envelope. The result was well under 1/4" thick. 

I took it to the post office and they wanted $4.65 to mail it. I asked why I couldn't mail it with a standard first class stamp and she said because it was inflexible. 

The old stick of laptop RAM is about 2.7" x 1.3".  How would you mail it within the US? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If it was under 1/4 inch thick, then you should have been allowed to mail it as a letter after paying the nonmachinable surcharge ($0.20).

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I would put it in  6x4x4 box and ship it 1st Class Package. That way it does not get damaged.  I would have not sold it for $5 if I had any expectations of making a few dollars. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If it was under 1/4 inch thick, then you should have been allowed to mail it as a letter after paying the nonmachinable surcharge ($0.20).

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The cardboard makes it "rigid", if the cardboard protection (necessary for RAM) is made so small as to make the envelope not "rigid" then it's likely to be considered "not of uniform thickness".

This type of item should be sent as First Class Package, the OP should purchase the postage online (through eBay/PayPal etc.) which will be cheaper than buying at the Post Office or using postage stamps.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1096318

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

As @calntom pointed out, in a box. Antistatic wrap, bubble wrap around it, and in a small box. Something that fragile needs protection, unless you like returns. 

You should learn how you are going to ship something BEFORE you list it. It's never a good idea to "guess" and try to figure it out later. Before it's even listed, you should already know how you will ship it and what service you will be using. 

Many times, seller (good ones) will avoid certain items if they have to buy special packaging or ship in a way they are not used to (or want to do it). Most good sellers here have packaging supplies on hand, and avoid items they have to buy weird supplies for. 

I have:

3 sizes of bubble mailers

2 sizes of poly mailers

8 different box sizes

and USPS supplies in 6 different configurations. 

I do notice you are not a bigger seller, but the point remains. You should know how you will ship BEFORE you list. Makes a big difference knowing that, if something is even worth shipping. You stick of RAM was better off being tossed, at least from my perspective. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

The cardboard makes it "rigid", if the cardboard protection (necessary for RAM) is made so small as to make the envelope not "rigid" then it's likely to be considered "not of uniform thickness".

This type of item should be sent as First Class Package, the OP should purchase the postage online (through eBay/PayPal etc.) which will be cheaper than buying at the Post Office or using postage stamps.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/201.htm#ep1096318

Yes, if it's rigid or not uniformly thick, then the sender has to pay the nonmachinable surcharge in order to mail it as a letter.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

To avoid damage, wrap it anti static bag or aluminum foil and place in a small box.  An envelope won't protect it and it could get damaged.  First class package is needed for that.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I make my own boxes.  They are 3x3x 2H.  I make them from other larger boxes.  I shrink my labels by 65% (printer setting) and the PO has no problem with it, and have been doing it for years..  They go First Class Mail 4oz or less. 

You can't ship delicate items by just wrapping in bubble wrap and cardboard in an envelope.  These items go through machines and get caught, smashed and ripped up all the time.  I've received items in bags that should never have been shipped that way. 

Change the channel!
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Everything I mail includes tracking.  I wrap a custom scrap of cardboard around 90% of what I sell.  Same would apply to an old memory stick.  If an item weighs less than 16 ounces including a padded envelope, packing slip and the custom cardboard protector I already know how much it will cost to mail to Hawaii, Maine or Florida and add a dime to that cost.  There are no surprises in my "garage".  Any customer who buys ten or more coins, matchbook covers or vintage postcards or any combination thereof gets free shipping.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Good looking out, its good practice to use an anti-static bag, otherwise there's the risk of electrostatic discharge ruining the RAM.

As for the best way to mail it, I would sooner just use bubble wrap and a bubble mailer or a tiny box as others mentioned, rather than an envelope to mail it. Then you could use first class without problems.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

UPDATE:

I mailed  it out with a Forever first class stamp worth 55 cents. Yesterday I got positive feedback from the buyer. 

If the postal clerk had done her job correctly and charged me 55 cents plus the 20 cents nonmachinable surcharge, which I would have been happy to pay, they would have gotten 20 more cents.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply