cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ship without tracking number, I always get scammed.

The reason I would ship without a tracking number is because I would send by stamped letter. This is the only way to compete with prices. This works well, until the buyer has gotten the item. Then they make a claim against me. I do  not know how people are able to sell their items and make a profit when all I get is claims.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@homecottage789 wrote:

The reason I would ship without a tracking number is because I would send by stamped letter. This is the only way to compete with prices. This works well, until the buyer has gotten the item. Then they make a claim against me. I do  not know how people are able to sell their items and make a profit when all I get is claims.

What are you selling? That matters a lot.

I ship within Canada frequently without tracking (as that's the best way, tracking can cost me $12 on a single coin). However that depends what's being shipped.

For example, when I sell a token to someone across Canada where I know that if they stole it from me and tried to sell it to their local coin shop they would receive fifty cents for their troubles, I know the person buying it wants the item, not 50 cents for all that trouble... I don't worry about it.

If I'm selling something where they can turn around and get almost all of what they paid back by reselling it quickly (like a silver round, silver dollar, anything gold, etc), then tracking is essential, if I'm even willing to sell the item at all.

Cheers, C.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@homecottage789 wrote:

What are you selling? That matters a lot.

I ship within Canada frequently without tracking (as that's the best way, tracking can cost me $12 on a single coin). However that depends what's being shipped.

For example, when I sell a token to someone across Canada where I know that if they stole it from me and tried to sell it to their local coin shop they would receive fifty cents for their troubles, I know the person buying it wants the item, not 50 cents for all that trouble... I don't worry about it.

If I'm selling something where they can turn around and get almost all of what they paid back by reselling it quickly (like a silver round, silver dollar, anything gold, etc), then tracking is essential, if I'm even willing to sell the item at all.

Cheers, C.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

You are a whole lot less likely to get claims if you ship with tracking.

I sell a lot of low price items that I ship by First Class mail with Free Shipping.  The cost of the shipping and tracking are rolled over into the cost of the item, as is the cost of the item itself.  I am able to price competitively and I make money.  It just takes planning.

If you know that you're having a problem because you don't track, then you know what to do.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
So your way of competing is to give your item away via dishonest buyers claiming non receipt when they see no tracking. It's either less $ with tracking, or NO $ without it! Best to find something else to sell.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I don't know how sellers are able to do it, they are able to sell items for just $1.00 dollar and offer free shipping. For example, baseball cards. Certainly they are getting scammed?

Well I will take the advice, if I am unable to complete in pricing becaues of shipping, then I will have to look for something else.

Oh by the way, want I wanted to sell was seeds. Almost all the seeds I see posted on eBay have envolope shipping.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I looked at your feedback, and you have a few negs for items not received, some for you not disclosing things missing, etc.  The issue isn't your buyers.  I suggest you ship with tracking (use padded envelopes or polybags which you can buy very cheaply and ship through ebay).  Also, make sure you have details such as, "this is not included, this has this issue, etc."  Shipping with no tracking is the opposite move to discourage scamming.  this can sometimes be your only protection.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:
So your way of competing is to give your item away via dishonest buyers claiming non receipt when they see no tracking. It's either less $ with tracking, or NO $ without it! Best to find something else to sell.

Some people and products attract less than honest buyers. On the other hand some sellers are able to send thousands of packages without tracking and get almost no claims. I fall into the latter category. I may haven given more refunds for packages that had tracking vs those that didn't, in either case the amount of losses is tiny, far less than 1%.

Since I pay much less for shipping I charge somewhat less than other sellers and put the rest in my pocket, more than pays for any losses I may have and makes my shipping charges very competitive..

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@homecottage789 wrote:

.....Oh by the way, want I wanted to sell was seeds. Almost all the seeds I see posted on eBay have envolope shipping.

As someone who has purchased lots of seeds on eBay, let me encourage you to use padded envelopes.  I have had to return seeds on several occasions from various sellers because they used regular envelopes and the seeds were crushed in the postal machinery.

Don't give up on selling.  Keep trying!  Something good can always happen.....especially for people who like gardens.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

Some people and products attract less than honest buyers. On the other hand some sellers are able to send thousands of packages without tracking and get almost no claims. I fall into the latter category. I may haven given more refunds for packages that had tracking vs those that didn't, in either case the amount of losses is tiny, far less than 1%.

Since I pay much less for shipping I charge somewhat less than other sellers and put the rest in my pocket, more than pays for any losses I may have and makes my shipping charges very competitive..

Yes, the type of product your selling makes a big difference. Some are prone to attract more trouble than others. But OP has stated they're  already receiving alot of claims for non receipt. I've shipped a handful of items using just stamps without a problem, but I'd never feel comfortable doing it as part of a business model here.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@homecottage789 wrote:

So, how well is that working again?

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@homecottage789 wrote:

Re: How to ship without tracking number, I always get scammed.

If you are getting scammed by buyers using Item Not Received claims because you do not have tracking, there is nothing you can do to prevent this. If they file a case, they will win.

If you cannot compete by shipping without tracking due to scams, and you cannot compete by shipping with tracking because of price, then you need to find something else to sell. Not every item is a good fit for eBay. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!! Never ship without tracking.  I had buyers try to play me saying they never got their item when I don't provide tracking, but once I post it and  we both (me and buyer0 know they got it they know they can't scam me and drop their case.

Most ebay buyers are good people, but there's quite a few who will try to get something for nothing and they pry on sellers like you.

Doesn't ebay MAKE every seller provide tracking or else their seller rating will go down????

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I have had this happen twice. One card is serial numbered so if I find it for sale anywhere guess who is getting called. Both snotty with me and I cussed them out so I have neg feedback. I sell some cards at auction for 1 cent and shipping. The occasional card that I may have to refund does not equal as much as all that tracking. You can not prove item arrived but if you ship from PO video the package being handed to PO. When positive feedback is given delete video. It always helps even if you can just prove you mailed it. Or you could put in the script shipping at own risk will have proof of shipment and let your customer know of an additional charge if they wish to have tracking!!! 

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

You cussed at a buyer over a 99 cent item that you sent without tracking?

Please don't give other sellers advice. Ever.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I am less concerned about the occasional dishonest person who says they never got the item than about the negative.  I have managed to keep a 100% positve for years. But I have not shipped without tracking. Before eBay & the Postal Service came up with a way to track to the actual address I did get a few peeps saying they never got the item. Now they can't say it wasn't delivered so it just never happens. 

However, now I have a bunch of very low valued items that I want to sell and a family member sent me several sheets of new postage stamps. The stamps are not worth selling on eBay and USPS no longer  buys back unused stamps so I want to ship with stamps on these few items. I expect a few dishonest people.  I will quickly refund the money and black list them. But not anxious to risk a negative.  Oh well, it's part of life. 

Tig
Message 15 of 27
latest reply