cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to kick start my eBay business

Hi, I'm not looking for anyone's secrets on sourcing products, just some insight on how to kick start my business from being a weekend thing to something more substantial. I've been selling on eBay for a while and have done ok with buying liquidation items, mostly store returns. I've tried the drop shipping thing and i'm not impressed. And after seeing some other discussions on drop shipping I'm glad I didn't go all in.

Also, if anyone has some insight on listing items quicker that would be a big help.  It seems to take me 10-20 mins to list an item after taking pics, description etc.

Any insight/suggestions would be appreciated.

CJ 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Here is how we did it:
1. Register as a business. If you have all the paperwork in place, it makes it easy to find sources to get inventory.
2. Find your "thing". What type of products do you like? what can you research for hours and so on?
3. Buy in bulk. If every listing takes you 10-20 min to upload, you are eating all your profits. However, if you have let's say 10 of the same item, the cost (in this case, time) per item goes down. It also means you save on listing fees as it is one listing.
4. See if you can source from companies. They sometimes already have pictures/descriptions. If you ask, they may agree to share with you or allow you to use their info.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Stay away from drop shipping. To easy to get banned always manage your own inventory so you control the packing and shipping.

Don't hire a virtual assistant to manage your store they can do a bad job and ruin your feedback.

Always give the best customer service to any buyer asking questions. Message buyers when they buy and update them on when their item is shipped. Ship out as quick as possible.

Try to niche into 3 fast selling categories and build your store around that. Build your store to 250 listings, then 500 then 850 listings etc

List 10 x 10 dollar pure profit items a day. Add in items that give you $25+ pure profit. And a few better priced items in the mix. This means you have a lot of cheaper stuff where buyers are more likely to spend $10-$25. And the few more expensive items in the mix will sell over time. But do your research on what sells.

Be prepared to get the odd scam. Accept returns as buyer is always right even if we know they are lying. They get their money back anyway if they open a dispute.

Try to find unique one of a kind collectible items. Target eBay auctions in collectibles with stuff that is getting multiple bids. Win those items and resell them higher.

Stay away from bulk heavy items that are hard to pack and ship.

Listing Quicker I hear inkfrog helps as you can have eBay templets in it. Make sure all distractions are off when your listing and set an allocated time of the day to do it.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've already registered as a business. Finding my "thing" seems to be my biggest problem, mostly sourcing the items I like at a profitable price. I've done the buying in bulk and that works great to list more, quickly cutting costs.

I've tried sourcing from a few companies with no profitable luck. 

I'll keep trying...

Thanks for your help.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I sell old letters from before the year 1900. I buy them from dealers who sell this stuff in UK and I buy a packet full at once then list the letters on eBay one at a time. I also buy off eBay UK sellers one at a time and flip them for a little more. The old letters continue to sell all year round to global buyers. Good area to research and each one is unique. I don't live in UK but I source from there. I also list on eBay UK site sell in pounds sterling so do a currency conversion to $$$.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Hi, thanks for your reply and suggestions. 

Drop shipping is out...I'd rather have to manage and ship my own item as well. I like the 10 x 10 idea and added mix of more profitable items. I've learned to have a lot of patients when listing/selling, sooner or later items seem to sell.

I've been scammed several times and they always get there money back..

And actually I got started by buying and selling collectible knives.

Again thanks for your help.

CJ

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Focus on niche market and preferably something you manufacture thats exclusive. Also since it's ebay, be more collectables focused. There are plenty of used Stephen King paperbacks and Stargate DVDs out there already.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply