cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal w/ missing part return request? New part sent, now what?

Sold a new item to a Canadian buyer (under wife's ID.) Buyer requested a return for a missing part, which I'm sure was there when shipped. It was attached to the item by the manufacturer and clearly shown in the description pics.

I thought it was just a way to force us to pay for an international return, but we offered to send a replacement part and the buyer happily accepted. Shipped it right away with tracking, but the return request is still pending. How to resolve with eBay so it doesn't count against us or, even worse, gets refunded automatically if enough days go by?

I don't see any options other than to refund or contact the buyer. I sent the buyer a pic of the replacement part and the tracking number. I asked her to close the return if she was satisfied, but she hasn't done it after a couple of days. I guess she's waiting for the package, or might not know the process. What now? Any help appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If the buyer doesn't cancel the return, you will be forced to refund or pay the buyer for postage to return the item.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If the buyer doesn't cancel the return, you will be forced to refund or pay the buyer for postage to return the item.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

How long do I have to encourage the buyer to close the return?

The request was a couple of days ago, and eBay said to respond by Nov. 5.

I don't think it's a bad buyer, but I kind of hate to tell her if she doesn't act she will have both the item and the money (about $60.)

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

According to your original post, the buyer has not yet received the replacement part? If I were your buyer, I'd wait until I received the part and confirmed that it fit and everything worked as expected before I closed the case.

After you receive confirmation that the buyer received the part, you could contact her and make sure everything was satisfactory. At that time, you could gently and professionally suggest she close the case, if the issue was resolved.

Good luck!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. Right, she hasn't received the part. Sent by FC international from NY to western Canada, so it could take a week or so. Maybe longer than eBay is going to like.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@lux-libri wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Right, she hasn't received the part. Sent by FC international from NY to western Canada, so it could take a week or so. Maybe longer than eBay is going to like.

Well--do be vigilant about your time deadlines. Don't ever "lose" a case because you didn't respond in a timely fashion.

I don't know. So many people caution against calling CS with a question you don't already know the answer to. I hope another poster comes along to help with better advice.

@missjen831?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Call customer service, ask them to review the messages between yourself and the buyer & request that they put the case on hold since the buyer agreed to a replacement. They should be willing to accommodate you.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 7
latest reply