cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel a transaction after Unpaid Item Case closed

I invoiced a buyer one day after sale and non-payment.  No response.  I then opened an unpaid item case after two days.  After two more days, it was paid and the case automatically closed but it was paid with international funds costing me an additional 1.5% on PayPal when the listing said no international payments and there is no way to reject them on PayPal.  As a matter of principle, I do not object to losing the $0.30 on Paypal for the transaction, I want to cancel the sale and issue refund but eBay will not let me cancel the sale, though I can issue a refund.  What do I do?  I told the buyer I would cancel because the listing clearly stated no international payments.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@grizbob wrote:

I invoiced a buyer one day after sale and non-payment.  No response.  I then opened an unpaid item case after two days.  After two more days, it was paid and the case automatically closed but it was paid with international funds costing me an additional 1.5% on PayPal when the listing said no international payments and there is no way to reject them on PayPal.  As a matter of principle, I do not object to losing the $0.30 on Paypal for the transaction, I want to cancel the sale and issue refund but eBay will not let me cancel the sale, though I can issue a refund.  What do I do?  I told the buyer I would cancel because the listing clearly stated no international payments.

If you didn't block international payments in the listing settings and on Paypal you are stuck.  The clause in your description is unenforceable. 

If you refund without shipping eBay will treat it as a seller cancel and your account will receive a strike.  2 strikes will severely impact your account.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Ship it.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

You want to lose a sale over $3.50 for an unenforceable blurb at the bottom of a lengthy listing?  Look at the big picture.

If it wasn't for that bidder, your item might've finished at a substantially lower cost.  You were willing to sell it for $175, so you'd think the extra $55 was a coup.

If you don't want to accept international payments then you need to block them in PP.  

And once the UPI has been run, you cannot cancel.  You can refund through PP, but you'll get a defect and likely lose the selling FVFs ($32+) unless you got a rep who was willing to issue you a credit.  Might be possible, but that could be hour on the phone with an overseas operator.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@grizbob wrote:

If you didn't block international payments in the listing settings and on Paypal you are stuck.  The clause in your description is unenforceable. 

If you refund without shipping eBay will treat it as a seller cancel and your account will receive a strike.  2 strikes will severely impact your account.

You can't block "international payments" on Ebay.  There is no such block.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

You can't cancel the transaction after going through the unpaid item process. The system will not allow it.

Good night and good luck
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Tell your buyer you made a mistake and ship the thing you made money selling on ebay.

Its why you're here isn't it?

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I am a private seller, not in business.  Only looking to dispose of unused items.  Haven't sold for 2 or more years and now 4 things in a row.  The last two have been problems; the former was a Russian purchase when I said domestic shipping, then I learned there are settings to block that but on relisting I lost $20 compared to the next highest bidder on the original listing.  I do not care about a strike, and PayPal has no way to block international w/o a business account and I found no way on eBay.  After this sale, if it does, I am done with both.  I did refund and offered a second chance to next highest bidder.  If no sale I'll relist and take my chances one last time.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Got the credit.  As I mentioned, a matter of principle, no response to invoice, waited two days on unpaid item notice, then paid against instructions with international funds.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Be a responsible seller and ship it. Sellers who don't ship are one reason buyers don't shop here as much anymore.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@grizbob wrote:

I am a private seller, not in business.  Only looking to dispose of unused items.  Haven't sold for 2 or more years and now 4 things in a row.  The last two have been problems; the former was a Russian purchase when I said domestic shipping, then I learned there are settings to block that but on relisting I lost $20 compared to the next highest bidder on the original listing.  I do not care about a strike, and PayPal has no way to block international w/o a business account and I found no way on eBay.  After this sale, if it does, I am done with both.  I did refund and offered a second chance to next highest bidder.  If no sale I'll relist and take my chances one last time.

You seem to be confusing a international buyer with shipping internationally.  The two do not necessarily go hand in hand.

International buyers purchase all the time on Ebay using a US ship to address, which meets the requirements of your listing.  You don't go by where a buyer has their account set up, but you do go by where the item is to be shipped.

You are correct, you can't block them on Ebay as it should not be an issue.  In your Site Preferences under Buyer Requirements you can block international buyer that do NOT have a US ship to address.  But beyond that no.

I have shipped to lots of international buyers that use US ship to addresses over the years.  They normally do not present any kind of problem to me or the transaction.  I've had no increased problems with international buyers over US based buyers.  Certainly most of my issues come from US buyers by a great deal.

You may not care about the ding on your account this time.  But a couple more may get you account restrictions as a seller.  

If your concern is merely the higher rate you pay in PP for the processing of the money, increase your pricing by 1%.  Not all of your sales will be from international buyers so you'll make a little more overall and plenty to cover any additional fee you get for the occasional international buyers.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@grizbob wrote:

Got the credit.  As I mentioned, a matter of principle, no response to invoice, waited two days on unpaid item notice, then paid against instructions with international funds.

What "principal"?

You are lucky you got the credit.  I wouldn't count on it next time.  Ebay according to the rules had every right to keep your FVFs as your buyer did nothing wrong to warrant your reaction to the transaction.

Your TOS [terms of sale] you had stated in this listing are not enforceable as you found out.  All sellers must work within the rules of Ebay and you are trying to impose a rule that doesn't exist.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Blocking international transactions, and therefore, the higher fees, should be available to individuals on PayPal as well as to business accounts.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@grizbob wrote:

Blocking international transactions, and therefore, the higher fees, should be available to individuals on PayPal as well as to business accounts.

I don't know, it isn't a block I would ever consider doing, so I have never looked into exactly what it says on PP.

For example, if an international buyer with a US ship to address purchases something from you and then goes to PP to pay, but are block from paying because of the way you have your account set up.  Your buyer is then put in a very bad position.  They have NOT breached any Ebay rule.  They did not breach any TOS that is enforceable on a listing.  But now the seller is preventing them from paying.

So is the seller going to be willing to file a cancellation for the proper reason.  Which be a seller reason.  Which will get the seller a defect on their account.  Or will the seller choose to fudge the reason and select that there was something wrong with the buyer's address so they can avoid the defect.  This option would not be correct and would not be true.  The buyer could then report the seller for misuse of the cancellation process.

Or there have been sellers that choose to do this say that they would file a UID.  Not sure how that is fair to the buyer since they made a legitimate purchase in Ebay, tried to pay but the seller is blocking their ability to pay.  So the buyer wants to pay, it is the seller that is denying it. 

All this to avoid paying a little more in fees to PP.  There really shouldn't be any problem shipping to an international buyer's US address any more than a US buyer with a US address.  As a seller you are responsible to the address in which you ship to.  Not some other address.

But these are all choices we have to make for ourselves.  Whatever you decide I hope it works out for you and your buyers.  

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Another thing to consider.........

There are MILLIONS of foreigners visiting/living or working in the USA LEGALLY, FL, AZ, NM & CA in particular have millions of temporary residents. If you come to the US to work or vacation you are not likely going to switch to all new credit cards, bank accounts etc. That means there are millions of people who are foreign based but have US addresses which are NOT mail forwarders. Turning them away simply because the payment processing fee is slightly higher seems really foolish and certainly doesn't help to bring or retain buyers.

One of the things foreign visitors do is shop, they spend much more per capita at consumer retail than permanent residents do.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply