cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we know when Ebay pays the State sales tax to the State you live in?

I live in Texas, as an Ebay seller I'm required to file my Sales Tax work sheet to the State comptroller of total Texas Sales and how much tax was collected in sales tax by 1/20/23, then they ask me to pay the tax due or risk getting penalties, so I filed without paying because Ebay is supposed to pay since they collect the tax, so how do I know when they pay it? 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

All the platforms where I sell pay state taxes, so when I file my state taxes, I do so as paid by the marketplace under the marketplace facilitator deduction.  If eBay, for example, isn't paying those taxes, eBay will get into trouble.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

as it has been explained to me....you had sales, but as a tax collecting 'agent' you had "0" TAXABLE Sales relating to State Sales Tax (assuming all your sales were on ebay)....

You are never in control of that portion of the sale. When they pay it is of no consequence to you, since you are not responsible for sales tax generated by sales on ebay......

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@a-ztreasures4u wrote:

I live in Texas, as an Ebay seller I'm required to file my Sales Tax work sheet to the State comptroller of total Texas Sales and how much tax was collected in sales tax by 1/20/23, then they ask me to pay the tax due or risk getting penalties, so I filed without paying because Ebay is supposed to pay since they collect the tax, so how do I know when they pay it? 

How much tax did YOU collect? That's the amount they are looking for.

You don't need to know when eBay sends the Sales Tax THEY collected to the TX treasury. I would think they are Monthly filing given the amounts they must be collecting.

Every State has different form and different methods for accounting for Marketplace selling, some you have to report the amount, some you don't, some you have to report on two lines (in/out=0) in any case if eBay is collecting you don't need to remit anything.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Every six months:
I print eBay report(s) and total up the dollar amount of sales in my state.
Then enter that dollar amount on the state website as being tax exempt.

My state sales tax authority posts notices on their website and sends emails. They have never mentioned marketplace facilitators, including eBay, collecting and remitting tax. My filing and never sending them money since 2019 apparently satisfies the mandatory requirement to file. They have never contacted me to question sales tax.

If you report the sales dollar amount and declare it to be exempt, perhaps they will not contact you.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply