cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Change My Account from Business to Personal

When I opened my eBay account I believe I set it business not knowing the tax regulations involved. My business is brand new so I'm not registered yet and I have not yet reached $500 in sales so I don't have to register as a business. There for I want to change my account type for business to personal.  If anyone knows, please help. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@et820279 wrote:

There is no edit option under account type. Here's what the screen looks like. tempsnip.png

@et820279, it's too late to edit my earlier reply, but ...

Based on your screenshot, your eBay account is Individual, not Business. So you should be fine.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

My eBay>Account>Personal Information> Account Type>Edit.

Are you talking about PayPal? If so, all sellers will be opted in to Managed Payments soon. So this may be a moot point. 

But if you are not in MP yet, then below is a link to how to change the status of your PP account.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/topic/MY_ACCOUNT_PER

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

@et820279 

To change your account type from individual to business:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Personal Information.

2. Next to Account Type, click the Edit link.

3. Enter your business name and click the Change to Business Account button.

4. Make sure you update your registered name with a personal contact name.

I am not an eBay employee but I sure feel like one sometimes
eBay Community Mentor Since 8-07-2023
Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

You will likely have to make another account unfortunately. Same thing happened to me, made business acct without realizing, had issues setting up my payment details, talked to customer service, and ended up being told there is no way to go from Business to Personal, just Personal to Business. Had a couple auctions with pending payments from buyers, had to cancel them and track down buyers on main account and re-sell them to the buyers there. Talk to Customer Service beforehand but my bet is they'll tell you the same. Sorry, it sucks, but whatchya gonna do I guess.

Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night.
Set the man on fire...
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

There is no edit option under account type. Here's what the screen looks like. tempsnip.png

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

@et820279, sorry for the confusion, but the response from @gottasellemall69 is correct.

You can't change an eBay business account to a personal account. You can "upgrade" a personal account to business but you can't go the other way. Since you have very little activity on this account, you can just open a new account and use that one. 

New accounts are now being registered directly with Managed Payments (no PayPal account needed), and your eBay account type has to match the type of account that will be receiving your payments. In North America, Australia and most of Europe, you will need a checking account, either individual or business to match your eBay account, and the name and physical address on the accounts have to match (exactly).

FYI:  @rebell45,  @fashunu4eeuh,  @whattheactualfox 

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Ohhh Okay! So then my question is if I reach 500 in sales, will my personal account be converted into a business account?

Used to be panda75654
This is my only account. I do not own any other eBay accounts and will not ask for personal information. Stay safe!
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

@et820279 wrote:

@et820279, it's too late to edit my earlier reply, but ...

Based on your screenshot, your eBay account is Individual, not Business. So you should be fine.

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

@whattheactualfox wrote:

Ohhh Okay! So then my question is if I reach 500 in sales, will my personal account be converted into a business account?

@whattheactualfox, I don't think your account will be converted into a business account unless you change it.

With Managed Payments, the checking account you are using to receive payments has to match your eBay business type. Either both have to be business accounts, or both personal/individual accounts. So I don't think that eBay will just change your account type unilaterally.

Where does the 500 number come from?

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@whattheactualfox wrote:

@et820279 

To change your account type from individual to business:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Personal Information.

2. Next to Account Type, click the Edit link.

3. Enter your business name and click the Change to Business Account button.

4. Make sure you update your registered name with a personal contact name.

@whattheactualfox 

The OP doesn't want to change the account from individual to business. According to the original post, s/he wants to change it from business to personal.

From the original post:

"There for [sic] I want to change my account type for [sic] business to personal."

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

From what OP is saying. Because next year the tax threshold changes. So I didn't know if that affects the type of ebay account we need 

Used to be panda75654
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Thank you everyone for your help!

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@whattheactualfox wrote:

From what OP is saying. Because next year the tax threshold changes. So I didn't know if that affects the type of ebay account we need 

@whattheactualfox 

The tax threshold doesn't change. The threshold for the issuance of a 1099-K changes. Big difference.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Thank you, @lacemaker3 for the corrected input!

Message 15 of 21
latest reply