cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come I can't leave negative feedback for a buyer who never paid?

Been selling on eBay since 2007.  Buyer won 13 auctions of mine and didn't pay. He didn't respond to my messages or invoices for 4 days and then lied and promised to pay 3 times and never did! He didn't respond to my ultimatums to pay. While this was happening he had the audacity to bid on even more of my current auctions even after I told him to not do so until he paid for the 13 items he owed me for. I eventually was forced to cancel all 13 sales to him and block him. This created a large amount of work for me (leaving messages etc.) and I then had to unpack his box (that had his combined shipping) and then repackage and relist all 13 items again!!  This also ruined the auctions for the other bidders who had bid against him!!    I reported him to eBay, but eBay has apparantley done nothing!  I sell on eBay because I'm partially disabled and need the money, not the hassle! eBay keeps asking me to leave him feedback for his unpaid items, but they have removed the negative button and left only the positive button!!  This makes feedback inaccurate and useless!!!  This is not the first time this has happened.  I got cheated by a large seller once and eBay would not let me leave them negative feedback.  It always seems that eBay protects the seller or buyer that has a lot of transactions and throws the smaller seller or buyer under the bus!!!  How come eBay won't let me leave negative feedback so other sellers can be warned and protected from him???  

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

FYI:  I may say 72 hours, but I always give them about a week before canceling.

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

By the way, every time you send an invoice, it resets the payment clock and grants an additional 4 days to the buyer to pay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

This is not true.

I have sent invoices during the 4 day wait period, and eBay STILL automatically cancels the purchase after 4 days.  So not sure where you are getting that info, and I haven't found this anywhere in writing.  And this is the second time I have seen someone say this.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

@gator08041971 wrote:

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

By the way, every time you send an invoice, it resets the payment clock and grants an additional 4 days to the buyer to pay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

This is not true.

I have sent invoices during the 4 day wait period, and eBay STILL automatically cancels the purchase after 4 days. ...

The invoice re-sets the time IF the seller has not set up automatic cancellation. This observation is based on experiences reported on these boards about delays in being able to (non-automatically) cancel transactions for nonpayment.  

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

I type too slow.  already answered

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

you keep getting the feedback reminder because eBay does not know if the buyer possibly paid you in some other way.  

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

@hedgescollectibles wrote: ....  When I said I let things slide, I mean I'm "thick skinned". ... eBay continues to ask me to send this guy positive feedback on all 13 items every time I log on!  What's next?  Are they going to give ME  13 black marks for not leaving feed back ...

They won't penalize you for  not leaving feedback. Just use your thick skin to fend off the reminders.  Surely they'll give up some time before the 60-day deadline for leaving feedback.

Evidence that buyers do still get nonpayment strikes can be found in (1) discussion board complaints from blocked bidders;  (2) sellers receiving annoyed messages from automatically-blocked bidders/buyers; and (3) observation of a seller's "Buyer requirements activity log".

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

Ahhhh

Okay!  But there is no information on this in the help pages?  Or at least none I could find.

And yeah, I have mine set to always be 4 days then auto cancel, and buyers are warned of this in the listing.  If they read that far.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

I feel your pain. 

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

When eBay reformatted the Help pages a few years ago, many of them were rewritten in ways that removed key details, as if they were written by an intern who had never sold anything on eBay.  

Examples of this vaguification  include not only this thread's invoice situation but also this statement about adding a Buy It Now option on auction-format listings.  "In some categories, the Buy It Now option may continue to be available after the first bid for a limited time."  Well, WHICH categories? And WHAT  is the "limited time"?  The old Help page listed the 4 categories and explained that the persistent BIN would disappear when bidding reached 50% of the BIN price. Why on earth would they remove those details??

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

So you don't feel you can ignore eBay's messages telling you to leave feedback?

Feedback is voluntary/optional for either buyer or seller on eBay. So, no, no one is going to give you 13 black marks for not leaving feedback.

No one here can prove to you that a nonpaying buyer got a strike.  eBay doesn't work that way.  There have been some sellers, however, who reported that an indignant buyer asked why he was not allowed to buy from them and it turned out that two strikes were the reason why.

Message 40 of 53
latest reply

Probably the same reason all of our closest shipping options are from China and or you can see items you have listed here sell multiple times over on other site's..ect ect

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

Thank you.  FYI: I always do the first listing for an item as a auction so I can check out what the playing field is and what people are willing to pay.  I make more money that way.  Then if it doesn't sell I relist it as a buy it now.

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

They can't pay me any way other than Paypal?  eBay would know if I was paid or not.  So I'm not sure if I'm following you.  Thank for responding though.

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

L.O.L.  I guess I'll just continue to be thick skinned and not thick headed!

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

Thank you.  That makes sense.

Message 45 of 53
latest reply