cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I describe a Cuban license plate in my listing title without it being removed?

I listed a Cuban license plate I found at a thrift store (which looked homemade) as a souvenir and eBay removed the listing as an embargoed item. I see lots of completed listings for these license plates. I do not think it is official- but how can you describe it without using the word Cuba? I understand that we as a country are not able to do any business involving Cuba or with Cuban products. This is a novelty item though- any advice? 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

How can I describe a Cuban license plate in my listing title without it being removed?

I'm sure you want it to be "a novelty item," but it isn't. Ultimately, at its core, it's a Cuban product. It is a violation of the Community Guidelines/Rules of Engagement for any member to counsel you on how to violate eBay's policy on  embargoed goods.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/embargoed-goods-prohibited-countries-...

What is the policy?
Sellers can't list embargoed goods or pre-embargoed goods from these countries or regions:

Cuba
Crimea region of Ukraine (as defined under applicable sanctions)
Democratic People's Republic of Korea (North Korea)
Iran
Syria
Organizations, businesses, or individuals based in or from the countries listed above, or those on the United States' Specially Designated Nationals (SDNs) list can't register accounts on eBay

Listings that don't follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller's rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Yikes! I wasn't soliciting advice on how to violate eBay policy! Just to be clear- I thought I was making an error in my description as there is a plethora of Cuban license plates in the completed listings area of 'Cuban license plate' search. 

Thank you for your comment.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I'm sure you want it to be "a novelty item," but it isn't.

These are very popular here in S. FL.  Our state issued car tags are only one for the rear of the vehicle, what you put on the front is basically your business.  We see lots for the FL Gators, U of Miami, and the FL Seminoles just to name a few.  (They are probably manufactured in China anyway).  I think the last president ended the embargo for the most part anyway, US citizens are free to travel there now. It is only eBay that will take down your listing if you mention the actor by name Cuba Gooding. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Oh that's funny! Thanks for chiming in... I feel like a criminal after the other person's reply! Not my intention to violate any policy- just thought since so many had been sold I was doing it wrong. NEVER MIND! I better take that thing back to the thrift store immediately.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I better take that thing back to the thrift store immediately.

LOL.  I wouldn't try to post the recipe for a Cuban sandwich either.    

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Absolutely not- Thanks for the laugh!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Was it actually MADE in Cuba or does it just SAY Cuba?

I sell many items with the representation of the Cuban flag and I have never had a problem. But I do not describe them as "Cuban".

In all cases I sat "Cuba". usually as the "National flag of Cuba". Never had a problem.

Rethink your title and description.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thank you- it may be that 'Cuban' is the word that cannot be used. It looks like someone made it. The letters and numbers and squiggly but it is a stamped license plate. Looks to me like something you would buy as a souvenir.

Thanks for your advice!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

If they already removed it once, I wouldn't list it again.

It could get your account suspended.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 10 of 16
latest reply

How about "From an island 90 miles south of Florida"?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

"If they already removed it once, I wouldn't list it again.

It could get your account suspended."

-------------

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agreed.

I wouldn't relist it, whether it's allowed or not.

Multiple policy violations can be deadly here.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I have a beautiful print from  1937 from a Cuban artist, Enrique Garcia Cabrera, that was a promotional item from Lago Petroleum (later acquired by Standard Oil). It depicts a Cuban mill. It's all Cuban. It's lovely. I'm afraid to list it. ::sigh::   Smiley Sad

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

I have a beautiful print from  1937 from a Cuban artist, Enrique Garcia Cabrera, that was a promotional item from Lago Petroleum (later acquired by Standard Oil). It depicts a Cuban mill. It's all Cuban. It's lovely. I'm afraid to list it. ::sigh::   Smiley Sad

@southern*sweet*tea 

If it is from 1937 then clearly it is pre-Castro/pre-embargo. If you list the artist’s name without mentioning Cuba then the bots would have nothing to hit on. Anyone who knows the artist knows he is from Cuba. Anyone who simply likes the print probably doesn’t care where he is from.

There is nothing to lose by listing it.

*****IF**** the bots get wonky then, at least in my case, the first thing is a note from eBay “asking” you to take it down (without penalty). I say “asking” because they then follow that with “If you don’t take it down, we will” (now with penalty). Sort of the old classic An offer you can not refuse.

The last item they asked me to take down actually came with a comment that they understood the historical significance of the item but, sorry, it still violates policy. Before the Swastika was adopted by the Nazis it was a Native American symbol AND the shoulder patch of the U S Army 45th Infantry Division. There is a church in the Boston area built in the 1800’s which has the swastika in bass relief on its edifice. Everyone understood they were not promoting Nazi’s. (Well, in fairness in today’s culture I am not so sure any more).

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi, @vonhonabon 

It really confuses things when a listing gets removed by eBay while dozens of others of the same ilk are not. This happens regularly. Some get away with listing items not allowed. But what the other posters advised is true, don't list this item again. Your penalty will be increased and it could drop you in Search for all your other goods. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply