cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Cancel an Unpaid Item Case

I have a buyer who is having problems with accessing her money. She will pay, but it won't be until next week.

I told her that would be fine, but forgot to disable the automatic Unpaid Item Assistant.

How do I cancel the case?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Once you open a nonpayment dispute, there is no way to close it. The only way to close one is for a payment to be made.  Since you had it automatically opened, it will close out with a nonpayment strike to the buyer 96 hours after it was opened, if no payment is made.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Is that really the issue of paying until next week?
Things that make you go, umm

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Once you open a nonpayment dispute, there is no way to close it. The only way to close one is for a payment to be made.  Since you had it automatically opened, it will close out with a nonpayment strike to the buyer 96 hours after it was opened, if no payment is made.

Incorrect.

An unpaid item dispute that has been opened automatically can still be closed, or the automatic closing can be turned off so the buyer has more time to pay and the seller can close it manually.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-item-assistant.html

If Unpaid Item Assistant has already opened a case, you can still turn it off to prevent the case from closing automatically.

Turning off Unpaid Item Assistant on an open case:
  1. Go to the Resolution Center and Sign in to the Your Cases section.

2. Find the item in the list of cases.

3. From the drop-down menu, click Take action and select Turn off Unpaid Item Assistant.

edit:  Millie, you don't want to cancel the case entirely because then if the buyer is just making an excuse you can't reopen.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thank you.

1. edit:  Millie, you don't want to cancel the case entirely because then if the buyer is just making an excuse you can't reopen.

Reading your edit, I'm wondering if I should just tell her to ignore the messages?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

If you want to give her more time, you can without actually cancelling the unpaid item dispute.  You can turn off the unpaid item assistant so it won't close automatically but you can still close it later manually if she doesn't pay when she says she will.

The link I supplied explains how to do that.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Incorrect.

An unpaid item dispute that has been opened automatically can still be closed, or the automatic closing can be turned off so the buyer has more time to pay and the seller can close it manually.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-item-assistant.html

If Unpaid Item Assistant has already opened a case, you can still turn it off to prevent the case from closing automatically.

Turning off Unpaid Item Assistant on an open case:
  1. Go to the Resolution Center and Sign in to the Your Cases section.

2. Find the item in the list of cases.

3. From the drop-down menu, click Take action and select Turn off Unpaid Item Assistant.

edit:  Millie, you don't want to cancel the case entirely because then if the buyer is just making an excuse you can't reopen.

Oh, thanks! I didn't know that.  I do mine manually, have never used the automatic.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

TAKE ACTION tab only offers, Receive Fee Credit. IT does not show the Turn Off Unpaid Item Asst. ..... now what?
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Did it time out?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@blackjarcoffee wrote:
TAKE ACTION tab only offers, Receive Fee Credit. IT does not show the Turn Off Unpaid Item Asst. ..... now what?

Are you sure that your case was opened by the unpaid item assistant? It can get confusing when you post in the midst of another related thread from last year.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Oh, thanks! I didn't know that.  I do mine manually, have never used the automatic.

I do mine manually too for various reasons...

1. Good customer - I do nothing and wait for them to pay

2. Repeat customer who usually pays quickly, I might sent a polite note (the note will say "our shop will be opening unpaid cases on this date for items sold this date. If you need more time please let me know so we don't open an unpaid item case)

3. Customers will probably pay, I don't open it on day 5, but might wait until days 7-10 to open it (usually I open it before the next round of auctions ends, otherwise they want to combine various weeks of items which delays me from being able to close out an unpaid case)

4. If i think they won't pay, I open it and close it as soon as possible.

Cheers, C.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply